Dojo at PyconUK

Nicholas H.Tollervey
Hi Folks,

In case you haven't realised, it'll be Pycon UK in just over a fortnight's time. It's going to be great fun and the more the merrier so don't hesitate to book! (see: http://pyconuk.org)

One of the activities to take place at this year's event will be a London-style code dojo. For that to work we need suggestions for interesting programming problems that take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete. At the start of the dojo I'll present a list to the attendees and we'll vote on which seems to be the most interesting / fun. Obviously, we need a list so please don't hesitate to propose a suggestion. Here's one from me to kick things off:

Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals / numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take into account). :-)

Looking forward to seeing you all in Coventry (for which you'll need to book a ticket, go on, do it now), :-)

Nicholas.

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Tim Golden-4
On 09/09/2011 12:04, Nicholas Tollervey wrote:
>Here's one from me to kick things off:
>
> Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not
> as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals /
> numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take
> into account). :-)

For those who haven't been involved, Nicholas has been trying to
get us to vote for this Roman Numeral Converter pretty much every
London Python Dojo for the last two years :)

Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?

TJG

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

John Pinner-3
On 9 September 2011 13:02, Tim Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/09/2011 12:04, Nicholas Tollervey wrote:
>>
>> Here's one from me to kick things off:
>>
>> Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not
>> as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals /
>> numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take
>> into account). :-)
>
> For those who haven't been involved, Nicholas has been trying to
> get us to vote for this Roman Numeral Converter pretty much every
> London Python Dojo for the last two years :)

Maybe we should humour him, then.
What I'd like to know, is what about zero?

> Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?

So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?

john

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Tim Golden-4
On 09/09/2011 13:23, John Pinner wrote:
> On 9 September 2011 13:02, Tim Golden<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?
>
> So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?

You surely can't have been the first person to make that
comment in the context of this year's PyConUK ??

TJG

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Alex Anderson

> Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 13:23:18 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [python-uk] Dojo at PyconUK
>
> On 9 September 2011 13:02, Tim Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 09/09/2011 12:04, Nicholas Tollervey wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's one from me to kick things off:
> >>
> >> Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not
> >> as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals /
> >> numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take
> >> into account). :-)
> >
> > For those who haven't been involved, Nicholas has been trying to
> > get us to vote for this Roman Numeral Converter pretty much every
> > London Python Dojo for the last two years :)
>
> Maybe we should humour him, then.
> What I'd like to know, is what about zero?
>
> > Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?
>
> So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?

Regarding zero: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#Zero

There was a fascinating book written (one of a few) about the arguments over zer in classical  times, called "Much Ado About Nothing". The crossover of the culture vulture and the geek in me always gets a kick out of the title...

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Zeth Green
On 9 September 2011 12:04, Nicholas Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals / numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take into account). :-)

Would it be more useful to make a Roman numeral data type?

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Nicholas H.Tollervey
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 13:23 +0100, John Pinner wrote:

> On 9 September 2011 13:02, Tim Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 09/09/2011 12:04, Nicholas Tollervey wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's one from me to kick things off:
> >>
> >> Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not
> >> as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals /
> >> numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take
> >> into account). :-)
> >
> > For those who haven't been involved, Nicholas has been trying to
> > get us to vote for this Roman Numeral Converter pretty much every
> > London Python Dojo for the last two years :)

Shhhhh, don't tell them that! It'll never get chosen. :-/

> Maybe we should humour him, then.
> What I'd like to know, is what about zero?

Or floats...?

> > Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?
>
> So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?

B'dum tish.

Here's another favourite of mine:

Create a simple text adventure game world. Navigate with commands like
n,s,e and w and look at your surroundings with the, er, "look" command.
Great fun if you want to understand directed graphs. :-)

A variation on this theme is a "Hunt the Wumpus" clone. But then Tim
would have to admit to *his* dojo "testing" secret.

> john

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Tim Golden-4
On 09/09/2011 14:08, Nicholas Tollervey wrote:
> A variation on this theme is a "Hunt the Wumpus" clone. But then Tim
> would have to admit to *his* dojo "testing" secret.

Well *someone* liked it:

   http://themonkeyproject.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/hunt-the-wumpus/

TJG

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Stestagg
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Nicholas Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 13:23 +0100, John Pinner wrote:

>> > For those who haven't been involved, Nicholas has been trying to
>> > get us to vote for this Roman Numeral Converter pretty much every
>> > London Python Dojo for the last two years :)
>>

> Shhhhh, don't tell them that! It'll never get chosen. :-/
>
>> Maybe we should humour him, then.
>> What I'd like to know, is what about zero?
>>

> Or floats...?
>
>> > Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?
>>
>> So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?
>>

> B'dum tish.
>
> Here's another favourite of mine:
>
> Create a simple text adventure game world. Navigate with commands like
> n,s,e and w and look at your surroundings with the, er, "look" command.
> Great fun if you want to understand directed graphs. :-)
>
> A variation on this theme is a "Hunt the Wumpus" clone. But then Tim
> would have to admit to *his* dojo "testing" secret.
>
>> john
>> --

Fwiw, the more interesting challenge is to write an efficient Roman
Numeral calculator that doesn't convert between numerals and numeric
values.  How do you multiply IX and V in a non-decimal world? It's not
*that* hard, but good for stimulating debate.

Steve Stagg

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

John Pinner-3
Hi,

On 9 September 2011 15:10, Stestagg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Nicholas Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Shhhhh, don't tell them that! It'll never get chosen. :-/
>>
>>> Maybe we should humour him, then.
>>> What I'd like to know, is what about zero?
>>>

>> Or floats...?

>>> So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?
>>>

>> B'dum tish.
>>
>> Here's another favourite of mine:
>>
>> Create a simple text adventure game world. Navigate with commands like
>> n,s,e and w and look at your surroundings with the, er, "look" command.
>> Great fun if you want to understand directed graphs. :-)
>>
>> A variation on this theme is a "Hunt the Wumpus" clone. But then Tim
>> would have to admit to *his* dojo "testing" secret.
>>
>>> john
>>> --
>>

> Fwiw, the more interesting challenge is to write an efficient Roman
> Numeral calculator that doesn't convert between numerals and numeric
> values.  How do you multiply IX and V in a non-decimal world? It's not
> *that* hard, but good for stimulating debate.

I don't know, but I guess that I'd start by finding out how the Romans did it.

John

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

René Dudfield
Ancient number systems?  There's some good write ups of other old number systems here...    http://www.math.wichita.edu/history/topics/num-sys.html

Re: Dojo at PyconUK

Harry Percival
aren't roman numerals the tdd example in dive into python?

there's a good section in alex bellos' "adventures in numberland" on roman numerals, where he briefly dips into how the romans did arithmetic - you can use roman numerals a bit like an abacus, apparently...