Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

12

Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Harry Percival
Hi-ho python peeps,

Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven Django development, with Selenium?

I've been working on a tutorial on the topic (<https://github.com/hjwp/Test-Driven-Django-Tutorial> *) . I'm not claiming to be a massive expert, but it's what I've learned at work over the last year or so, so it's fresh in my mind... I'm pretty sure I could get a couple of (ex?) colleagues to help present...

Would be aimed at beginners / people who don't know Selenium / people who want to learn Django the "right" way / people who want to learn TDD... If you already know Django and Selenium back to front, it would probably be of less interest, although there may be some interesting discussions around integrating the Django test runner, WebDriver vs Selenium-RC etc...

So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...

HP

* work in progress!  for example, the .jar file really isn't necessary...

--
------------------------------
Harry J.W. Percival

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Andy Robinson-2
On 13 October 2011 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi-ho python peeps,
>
> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
> Django development, with Selenium?
>
> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...

This could be highly relevant for us and of my clients.  Possibly 5
people from us if the timing is right.

Regrettably we don't have physical space for it right now (and are way
outside the centre of London)

--
Andy Robinson
ReportLab

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Bruce Durling
Harry,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi-ho python peeps,
>
> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
> Django development, with Selenium?

That sounds like a great idea.

> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...

I think you'd get very good turnout for this (I'd be interested for a
start). How long did you think it would last (1-2hrs or longer)? Will
it be free or will you charge?

There are a number of venues in London that could host depending on
numbers and what you have planned.

cheers,
Bruce

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Harry Percival
Hey Andy, Bruce,

Wow, charging for it, hadn't even thought of that!  No, I think I'd be very happy to do it for free...  Maybe when I get a bit more bored of it all I'll demand some compensation ;-)

In terms of timing, I'm really not sure yet. My objective would be to try and track the django tutorial, which involves the admin site, 3 simple views and a couple of forms...  I'll have to think through how it would all work...  if it was a workshop, maybe I'd have a repo with some pre-prepared branches everyone can pull from, and work through together as we add bits of code, before moving onto the next one...

How much time do you guys think people could stand?  We'd need a proper break if it was any longer than 1.5 hours... And any longer than 3 hours would probably be too much...

testing topics I'd want to cover:
- an automated FT runner
- keep production and test data separate
- selenium API:  find_elements_by_id, find_element_by_css_selector, etc etc
- unit tests and the django test runner
- the django (unit) test client
- mocking
- why test, anyway? and what to test?

django topics I'd want to cover:
- manage.py commands: startproject, startapp, syncdb, runserver, loaddata
- the admin site
- models
- templates
- forms

nice-to-haves:
- javascript
- transactions
- south

lots for me to think about!  Do you guys think anything is missing?

hp

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Bruce Durling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Harry,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi-ho python peeps,
>
> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
> Django development, with Selenium?

That sounds like a great idea.

> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...

I think you'd get very good turnout for this (I'd be interested for a
start). How long did you think it would last (1-2hrs or longer)? Will
it be free or will you charge?

There are a number of venues in London that could host depending on
numbers and what you have planned.

cheers,
Bruce

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Cal Paterson-2
Hey Harry,

I'm also interested in this, depending on where you decide to run it :)

Cal

On 13 October 2011 18:11, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Andy, Bruce,
>
> Wow, charging for it, hadn't even thought of that!  No, I think I'd be very
> happy to do it for free...  Maybe when I get a bit more bored of it all I'll
> demand some compensation ;-)
>
> In terms of timing, I'm really not sure yet. My objective would be to try
> and track the django tutorial, which involves the admin site, 3 simple views
> and a couple of forms...  I'll have to think through how it would all
> work...  if it was a workshop, maybe I'd have a repo with some pre-prepared
> branches everyone can pull from, and work through together as we add bits of
> code, before moving onto the next one...
>
> How much time do you guys think people could stand?  We'd need a proper
> break if it was any longer than 1.5 hours... And any longer than 3 hours
> would probably be too much...
>
> testing topics I'd want to cover:
> - an automated FT runner
> - keep production and test data separate
> - selenium API:  find_elements_by_id, find_element_by_css_selector, etc etc
> - unit tests and the django test runner
> - the django (unit) test client
> - mocking
> - why test, anyway? and what to test?
>
> django topics I'd want to cover:
> - manage.py commands: startproject, startapp, syncdb, runserver, loaddata
> - the admin site
> - models
> - templates
> - forms
>
> nice-to-haves:
> - javascript
> - transactions
> - south
>
> lots for me to think about!  Do you guys think anything is missing?
>

> hp
>

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Bruce Durling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Harry,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi-ho python peeps,
>> >
>> > Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of
>> > test-driven
>> > Django development, with Selenium?
>>
>> That sounds like a great idea.
>>
>> > So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?
>> > London
>> > area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...
>>
>> I think you'd get very good turnout for this (I'd be interested for a
>> start). How long did you think it would last (1-2hrs or longer)? Will
>> it be free or will you charge?
>>
>> There are a number of venues in London that could host depending on
>> numbers and what you have planned.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Bruce

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Bruce Durling
Harry,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 18:11, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
<much snippage - upshot Free and 1.5 hours>

Skillsmatter would probably host this as a free evening talk. They
have a number of rooms that would be suitable (holding 40ish, 75ish
and 125ish), though you'd probably want to limit it to 60 (absolute
max) if it was going to be a practical lab rather than a talk.

Drop me a line off the list if you are interested and I'll put you in
touch with the right people.

Others might be willing to host too.

cheers,
Bruce

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Jonathan Hartley
Here at Rangespan we're all very interested. You'd have two or more attendees from here.

    Jonathan

On 13/10/2011 17:26, Harry Percival wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Hartley    [hidden email]    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Tom Viner
Definitely interested in this. We're expanding the testing we do at U-Dox and adding something like Selenium to the arsenal would be a major win.

I went to a BrightonPy talk by Jim Purbrick last year and was impressed by the comprehensive setup he had. In particular, as I recall, he had Selenium running in a virtual machine linux desktop so it could chug through his tests without disturbing his coding on the real desktop.

http://lanyrd.com/2010/brightonpy-october/ (slide 11 has some selenium, but you'll need the video to explain his vm setup, worth watching)

And to be honest, that's sum total of my knowledge on these matters! Hence I really appreciate you taking the time and effort, happy to provide compensation in terms of the beverage of your preference Harry (this beer sponsored by python anywhere ... DOT COM :-D )

Tom

On 13 October 2011 18:11, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Andy, Bruce,

Wow, charging for it, hadn't even thought of that!  No, I think I'd be very happy to do it for free...  Maybe when I get a bit more bored of it all I'll demand some compensation ;-)

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Aaron Watkins
Yet another +1 (yes it's a good topic).

I'm interested in the Django test runner (we use nose, so interested to compare the two).

Also, your experiences with Selenium as we are only just getting started here.  Particularly interested in:
- web driver / RC: I've hacked together something that tries to use WebDriver locally, but falls back to an RC grid. It's not pretty. Best practices appreciated
- performing tests on UI elements that are dynamically generated: finding by id is a pain for the element called ext-gen-689

Regards,

Aaron Watkins

On 13 Oct 2011, at 22:50, Tom Viner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Kev Dwyer

Hello Harry,

Definitely keen, especially on Selenium.

Cheers,

Kev

On 13 Oct 2011 17:31, "Harry Percival" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

James Tarin
Hello Harry,

There's a couple of people from our development team who would probably be interested in this, depending on date, location etc.

Cheers,

James

----------------------
James Tarin
2degrees Ltd.

[...]

We've been using Selenium for several years and have two fairly
substantial test suites used for web applications, as well as Django's
test client.  I don't think we're doing anything particularly
advanced, clever or 'Django-integrated', but we can certainly show
some of this if needed and would be keen to compare notes on best
practices, if the venue and dates work out.

We've also just started to play with BrowserMob, which is a hosted
testing service that can import selenium scripts, run tests for you
regularly, run realistic load tests, and even send you screenshots of
what went wrong if tests fail.  It's pretty neat and you can play with
it at modest levels at no charge.  I should know a bit more by
whenever the talk rolls around!

--
Andy Robinson
ReportLab

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Richard Barran-3
+1 here as well.
Something that's been for ever on my to-learn list, but never got round to it.
Richard

On 14 Oct 2011, at 09:56, tom christie wrote:

[...]

Gabriel Reis
+1 here!

Gabriel Reis

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM, James Browne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 from me too. Would definitely attend.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Browne
>
> On 13 October 2011 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi-ho python peeps,
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
>> Django development, with Selenium?
>>
>> I've been working on a tutorial on the topic
>> (<https://github.com/hjwp/Test-Driven-Django-Tutorial> *) . I'm not claiming
>> to be a massive expert, but it's what I've learned at work over the last
>> year or so, so it's fresh in my mind... I'm pretty sure I could get a couple
>> of (ex?) colleagues to help present...
>>
>> Would be aimed at beginners / people who don't know Selenium / people who
>> want to learn Django the "right" way / people who want to learn TDD... If
>> you already know Django and Selenium back to front, it would probably be of
>> less interest, although there may be some interesting discussions around
>> integrating the Django test runner, WebDriver vs Selenium-RC etc...
>>
>> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
>> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...
>>
>> HP
>>
>> * work in progress!  for example, the .jar file really isn't necessary...
>>
>> --
>> ------------------------------
>> Harry J.W. Percival

Lightweight headless browsers (was Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?)

John J Lee
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Andy Robinson wrote:

> On 13 October 2011 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi-ho python peeps,
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
>> Django development, with Selenium?
>>
>> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
>> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...
>

> This could be highly relevant for us and of my clients.  Possibly 5
> people from us if the timing is right.
Has anybody else experimented with PhantomJS yet?  It's essentially
QtWebKit plus a thin wrapper.  Though it does still need an X server
currently, that's easily met with xvfb-run.  I've recently started using
it, and it seems well suited to both TDD and functional testing.  I like
that when a test fails and I drop into PDB (leaving my web server test
fixture -- which is relatively slow to set up and tear down -- running in
a subprocess) I can run the entire browser set up, test execution and tear
down in under 1 second.  I also like the fact that there's a very
convenient one-liner to dump a PDF "screenshot" of the rendered web page.
With selenium, though you can leave the browser running, I always found it
rather slow to develop tests and debug failing tests -- that hasn't beeen
the case with PhantomJS so far, though it's early days still.  I should
note I am likely being unfair to selenium here because the tests I'm
writing are relatively small compared to the selenium tests I worked on
before.  But not all that unfair, I think.  I guess I should also state
the obvious: selenium still has an important role because it supports
multiple web browsers.

I'd be interested to hear people's experience of zombie.js, envjs, and
HtmlUnit for testing -- in particular, whether you've had to make any
changes to your existing JavaScript code.  Not having to do so is the most
obvious draw of PhantomJS over those tools, but perhaps I'm being hard on
them?

I've been waiting for this kind of thing for about seven years (even
started work on one myself back then), so it's great to see all these
lightweight headless browsers appear.

Anybody considered doing something like capybara in Python?  It provides
implementations of a common API for most of these systems (including
PhantomJS, envjs and selenium I think).

John

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Harry Percival
OK, am keen to keep the ball rolling on this!  About 20 people have expressed an interest.

I don't think I'm going to try and co-opt the next "proper" dojo session of Nov 4th, but I'd like to do it soon - maybe a week or two after that.

Here's a doodle - expression your timeslot preference!

http://www.doodle.com/x5sw7xmcpb92pbia

location: probably skillsmatter, so Clerkenwell/Farrringdon/Old st.

cheers all!
hp

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Gabriel Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 here!

Gabriel Reis

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM, James Browne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 from me too. Would definitely attend.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Browne
>
> On 13 October 2011 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi-ho python peeps,
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
>> Django development, with Selenium?
>>
>> I've been working on a tutorial on the topic
>> (<https://github.com/hjwp/Test-Driven-Django-Tutorial> *) . I'm not claiming
>> to be a massive expert, but it's what I've learned at work over the last
>> year or so, so it's fresh in my mind... I'm pretty sure I could get a couple
>> of (ex?) colleagues to help present...
>>
>> Would be aimed at beginners / people who don't know Selenium / people who
>> want to learn Django the "right" way / people who want to learn TDD... If
>> you already know Django and Selenium back to front, it would probably be of
>> less interest, although there may be some interesting discussions around
>> integrating the Django test runner, WebDriver vs Selenium-RC etc...
>>
>> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
>> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...
>>
>> HP
>>
>> * work in progress!  for example, the .jar file really isn't necessary...
>>
>> --
>> ------------------------------
>> Harry J.W. Percival

Re: Dojo / workshop on "TDD Django with Selenium" - any interest?

Harry Percival
Looks like Wednesday the 16th - eventbrite/lanyrd/something invitation to follow!

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, am keen to keep the ball rolling on this!  About 20 people have expressed an interest.

I don't think I'm going to try and co-opt the next "proper" dojo session of Nov 4th, but I'd like to do it soon - maybe a week or two after that.

Here's a doodle - expression your timeslot preference!

http://www.doodle.com/x5sw7xmcpb92pbia

location: probably skillsmatter, so Clerkenwell/Farrringdon/Old st.

cheers all!
hp

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Gabriel Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 here!

Gabriel Reis

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM, James Browne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 from me too. Would definitely attend.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Browne
>
> On 13 October 2011 17:26, Harry Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi-ho python peeps,
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in a dojo / worksop on the topic of test-driven
>> Django development, with Selenium?
>>
>> I've been working on a tutorial on the topic
>> (<https://github.com/hjwp/Test-Driven-Django-Tutorial> *) . I'm not claiming
>> to be a massive expert, but it's what I've learned at work over the last
>> year or so, so it's fresh in my mind... I'm pretty sure I could get a couple
>> of (ex?) colleagues to help present...
>>
>> Would be aimed at beginners / people who don't know Selenium / people who
>> want to learn Django the "right" way / people who want to learn TDD... If
>> you already know Django and Selenium back to front, it would probably be of
>> less interest, although there may be some interesting discussions around
>> integrating the Django test runner, WebDriver vs Selenium-RC etc...
>>
>> So, trying to get an idea of numbers - would anyone be interested?  London
>> area, venue suggestions also gratefully accepted...
>>
>> HP
>>
>> * work in progress!  for example, the .jar file really isn't necessary...
>>
>> --
>> Harry J.W. Percival

Harry J.W. Percival
Twitter: @hjwp

Mobile:  <a href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%2078877%2002511" value="+447887702511" target="_blank">+44 (0) 78877 02511
Skype:         harry.percival

12