Dropping support for zipped installes in buildout.

Dropping support for zipped installes in buildout.

Jim Fulton
Buildout supports installing zipped eggs because setuptools does.

Most people find zipped eggs a pain and complain that buildout should
always unzip.

As part of my work to simplify buildout's implementation, I'm dropping
support for setuptools. This isn't because I don't appreciate
setuptools.  Setuptools made Python packaging really
work. Unfortunately, setuptools doesn't support Python 3 and life is
too short to try to support both distribute and setuptools.

Distribute doesn't support the zip_safe flag, so buildout can't
reliably support installing zipped eggs from source distruibution.
Given that and that (almost) no one likes zipped eggs anyway, I'm just
going to install everything unzipped.

Objections entertaining.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton

Re: Dropping support for zipped installes in buildout.

Lennart Regebro-2
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 21:18, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Buildout supports installing zipped eggs because setuptools does.
>
> Most people find zipped eggs a pain and complain that buildout should
> always unzip.
>
> As part of my work to simplify buildout's implementation, I'm dropping
> support for setuptools. This isn't because I don't appreciate
> setuptools.  Setuptools made Python packaging really
> work. Unfortunately, setuptools doesn't support Python 3 and life is
> too short to try to support both distribute and setuptools.

+1

//Lennart

Re: Dropping support for zipped installes in buildout.

Sebastien Douche
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 21:18, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Distribute doesn't support the zip_safe flag, so buildout can't
> reliably support installing zipped eggs from source distruibution.
> Given that and that (almost) no one likes zipped eggs anyway, I'm just
> going to install everything unzipped.

We use the option "unzip = true" from the beginning thus +1 :).

--
Sebastien Douche <[hidden email]>
Twitter: @sdouche / G+: +sdouche

Re: Dropping support for zipped installes in buildout.

Cédric de Saint Martin

On 28 avr. 2012, at 21:31, Sebastien Douche wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 21:18, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Distribute doesn't support the zip_safe flag, so buildout can't
>> reliably support installing zipped eggs from source distruibution.
>> Given that and that (almost) no one likes zipped eggs anyway, I'm just
>> going to install everything unzipped.
>
> We use the option "unzip = true" from the beginning thus +1 :).
Same for us, all our profiles define it. So no objection!

> --
> Sebastien Douche <[hidden email]>
> Twitter: @sdouche / G+: +sdouche

Cédric de Saint Martin,