EPC 2006

sfermigier
Hi guys and gals,

this list is quite quite (?), I'm wondering if there is some underground
activity regarding the preparation of EuroPython 2006.

I'd like to make a short personal comment: I had a great time this year
in Göteborg this year, and enjoyed the talks a lot. But I was a bit
disappointed by two points:

- there were less people than the previous year

- almost everybody at the conference was also a speaker

- almost everybody had already been there at the previous EPCs

(OK, that's three points, but they are somehow related.)

In other words, we were preaching the converted.

For EPC2006, do you believe that it would be possible to make more noise
and more buzz before the conference, to try to recruit speakers and
non-speakers outside the usual circles, and overall try to get more
exposure for the conference than last year ?

I think that, like we did for the first EPC (IIRC), we should issue a
press release before the end of the year.

  S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps

Re: EPC 2006

Michael Hudson
Stefane Fermigier <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi guys and gals,
>
> this list is quite quite (?),

"quiet", and yes.

> I'm wondering if there is some underground activity regarding the
> preparation of EuroPython 2006.

I don't know.  There's been some talking here and there but if it's
still happening I've lost touch of it again.

> I'd like to make a short personal comment: I had a great time this year
> in Göteborg this year, and enjoyed the talks a lot. But I was a bit
> disappointed by two points:
>
> - there were less people than the previous year

Yes.  But it seems that every time the conference has stayed put,
attendance has dropped (sample size of 2, i know, but...).  I think
Gtbg 1 was the busiest EP.

> - almost everybody at the conference was also a speaker

You say this like it was a bad thing! :)

This fact changes the conference financially and organisationally, to
be sure, but you'll have to talk very fast to convince me that this
level of participation is unfortunate...

> - almost everybody had already been there at the previous EPCs
>
> (OK, that's three points, but they are somehow related.)
>
> In other words, we were preaching the converted.
>
> For EPC2006, do you believe that it would be possible to make more noise
> and more buzz before the conference,

Yes.  Takes effort and time, though.

> to try to recruit speakers and non-speakers outside the usual
> circles, and overall try to get more exposure for the conference
> than last year ?

Obviously these would all be good things.

> I think that, like we did for the first EPC (IIRC), we should issue a
> press release before the end of the year.

Well, that's fairly soon now.  Do you want to write it? :)

Cheers,
mwh

--
58. Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid
    it. Geniuses remove it.