Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

Laura Creighton
Ok, now that EuroPython is no longer in my home town in Göteborg, I am
more free to organise things around here.  (The last 2 years I have
been more involved with making sure that everything works ok, in the
way that a co-chairman can only be.)

This means that I have only done a minimal job of getting US
the Europython we want.

This year I will have more time.

Ok gang, its our conference.  We have a budget to invite some
people we like ... and Kirby, I already got the word that we
want you to come again and explain what you are doing now ....

I would like to know who of you are already planning on
coming, who are thinking of it, and what we can do to get
more python educators and 'the rest of us' to the conference.
I do not know whether it is better to discuss this here or on
the Europython mailing list.

_Here- has the advantage that I get all the people I am interested in,
with the disadvantage that I also get those as are not interested.

_There_ has the the advantage as we can shame the rest into more and
better action, which is competition at its best.  Also there is some
change I can saddle some of you with work there, and this will
add to my prestige as a 'getter of things done'.

But overall, I think it is better to stay here for now.
If too many non-European edu people complain we can reconsider.

Ok gang.  It is our conference.  Brainstorming time.  What would
we like? how do we get it?

we do not even need to follow the 'tracks and talks' requirement.
Whatever we want is on the table for the simple reason we want it.

Let the open brainstorming begin.

Laura

Re: Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

Laura Creighton
Awake for over 40 hours, no kidding that I cannot type ....

In a message of Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:43:05 +0100, Laura Creighton writes:
>Ok, now that EuroPython is no longer in my home town in Göteborg, I am

>This means that I have only done a minimal job of getting US

US as in You and Me and everybody else on this list.  Not the USA.
Not that we _mind_ American visitors, just that was not what
I meant when I capitalised 'us'.

>the Europython we want.

skip

>change I can saddle some of you with work there, and this will
>add to my prestige as a 'getter of things done'.

I guess I really must want some change,  but it was CHANCE that
I meant to write there.

ok, take care all,
Laura

Re: Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

Arthur-27

Glad there was more to the sentence. ;)

Art

In a message of Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:36:06 EST, Arthur writes:

> [...]

I am never going to live this down,
I know it, I know it I know it,.

Kirby, forgive me.

Laura

Re: Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

Grégoire Dooms
Laura Creighton a écrit :

>I would like to know who of you are already planning on
>coming, who are thinking of it, and what we can do to get
>more python educators and 'the rest of us' to the conference.
>I do not know whether it is better to discuss this here or on
>the Europython mailing list.

I have been using Python for 3 years for one of our AI courses at
UCLouvain. The software is based on Peter Norvig's AIMA python code, but
I've also developped a few puzzles and games for weekly assignments.
This course also features an agent development contest where groups of
students compete in a championship.
I am considering preparing a talk about this experience.

All the best,
--
Grégoire Dooms

Re: Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

Arthur-27

Come-on - I have more than this to live down on a bi-weekly basis.

It's practically policy here.

Art

Re: Europython Monday 3 July to Wednesday 5 July 2006

kirby urner-4
I'm going to post to that other math/CS list now.  This thread has remained entertaining.

Kirby

Laura Creighton a écrit :

>In a message of Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:14:48 +0100, Grégoire Dooms writes:
>

>>I have been using Python for 3 years for one of our AI courses at
>>UCLouvain. The software is based on Peter Norvig's AIMA python code, but
>>I've also developped a few puzzles and games for weekly assignments.
>>This course also features an agent development contest where groups of
>>students compete in a championship.
>>I am considering preparing a talk about this experience.
>>
>>All the best,
>>--
>>Grégoire Dooms
>>

>Sounds cool.  Do you compete with other schools?

No, not yet :-). This competition is one assignment out of 7 (of a 5
ECTS course).
I am thinking of giving students the agents of the year before to see if
they can come up with ways to enhance the results.
This will be for next year.

Is there a CFP for Europython ? What is the deadline for submitting a
paper/talk ?

Best,
--
Grégoire

In a message of Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:21:08 +0100, Grégoire Dooms writes:

>Laura Creighton a écrit :
>
>>In a message of Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:14:48 +0100, Grégoire Dooms writes:
>>

>>>I have been using Python for 3 years for one of our AI courses at
>>>UCLouvain. The software is based on Peter Norvig's AIMA python code, bu
>>>I've also developped a few puzzles and games for weekly assignments.
>>>This course also features an agent development contest where groups of
>>>students compete in a championship.
>>>I am considering preparing a talk about this experience.
>>>
>>>All the best,
>>>--
>>>Grégoire Dooms
>>>

>>Sounds cool.  Do you compete with other schools?
>>

>No, not yet :-). This competition is one assignment out of 7 (of a 5
>ECTS course).
>I am thinking of giving students the agents of the year before to see if
>they can come up with ways to enhance the results.
>This will be for next year.
>
>Is there a CFP for Europython ? What is the deadline for submitting a
>paper/talk ?

Not yet, and not set yet.

Laura