Quantcast

[Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Alan Franzoni-7
Hello everybody,
a small clarification about the availability of ep2011 videos.

All videos were uploaded and were supposed to be
"available". The problem is all about bandwith. We decided ( for many
reasons ) to serve all video files through a third-party service,
hoping that it would download our content just once from our server
and then serve it to everybody else without hogging our datacenter.

It turned out that we were wrong, and the file is getting downloaded
multiple times from our servers - each file is downloaded about 20
times, one for each geographical mirror - , and that's saturating our
bandwidth; we also found there's a cap on parallel downloads, so the
third-party service just won't download more than X files in parallel
from our server.

The bottom line is: the videos are converted, they just need to get
uploaded. As soon as they are we'll tell you in this ml and through a
blog post.

Thanks for your patience.

--
http://www.franzoni.eu - public@[mysurname].eu
Latest blog post: Unit testing with Twisted: testing protocols:

Re: EP 2011 Videos

Hynek Schlawack-6
Hi Guys and Gals,

First of all: Thank you for a fantastic conference, I can't wait for next year!

> All videos were uploaded and were supposed to be
> "available". The problem is all about bandwith. We decided ( for many
> reasons ) to serve all video files through a third-party service,
> hoping that it would download our content just once from our server
> and then serve it to everybody else without hogging our datacenter.

You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
(me included) and everybody will be happy. :)

Cheers,
Hynek

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Ciarán Mooney
Hi,

I couldn't attend but I would like to watch the videos. I would also
happily download via bittorrent, and seed.

Ciarán

On 30 June 2011 09:43, Hynek Schlawack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys and Gals,
>
> First of all: Thank you for a fantastic conference, I can't wait for next year!
>
>> All videos were uploaded and were supposed to be
>> "available". The problem is all about bandwith. We decided ( for many
>> reasons ) to serve all video files through a third-party service,
>> hoping that it would download our content just once from our server
>> and then serve it to everybody else without hogging our datacenter.
>
> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Hynek

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Laurens Van Houtven-2

Bittorrent ++

On Jun 30, 2011 11:18 AM, "Hynek Schlawack" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Guys and Gals,
>
> First of all: Thank you for a fantastic conference, I can't wait for next year!
>
>> All videos were uploaded and were supposed to be
>> "available". The problem is all about bandwith. We decided ( for many
>> reasons ) to serve all video files through a third-party service,
>> hoping that it would download our content just once from our server
>> and then serve it to everybody else without hogging our datacenter.
>
> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Hynek

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

kamaelian
On 30 June 2011 08:54, Alan Franzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The bottom line is: the videos are converted, they just need to get
> uploaded. As soon as they are we'll tell you in this ml and through a
> blog post.
>
> Thanks for your patience.

I'd seriously suggest putting them up on blip.tv and allowing them to
do the distribution. Despite working somewhere that does lots of stuff
with video and has a rather large amount of bandwidth available, I
used blip.tv last year and year before simply because it offloads all
the problems you're describing. The videos do have to be transcoded to
1GB or less each, but that can be all be automated (Happy to send you
what I used last year to do that)

Happy to hand over http://europythonvideos.blip.tv/ to whomever thinks
they should own it... (Not sure how you do that, but hey :-)

Michael.

Re: EP 2011 Videos

Alexandre Fayolle-3
On Thursday 30 June 2011 10:43:34 Hynek Schlawack wrote:

> Hi Guys and Gals,
>
> First of all: Thank you for a fantastic conference, I can't wait for next
> year!
>
> > All videos were uploaded and were supposed to be
> > "available". The problem is all about bandwith. We decided ( for many
> > reasons ) to serve all video files through a third-party service,
> > hoping that it would download our content just once from our server
> > and then serve it to everybody else without hogging our datacenter.
>
> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)

Same thing here

--
Alexandre Fayolle                              LOGILAB, Paris (France)
Formations Python, CubicWeb, Debian :  http://www.logilab.fr/formations

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

David Mugnai-3
On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 10:43 +0200, Hynek Schlawack wrote:
[snip]

> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)

Hi all,

I'm working to make the videos viewable directly in the web page (HTML5
+ flash fallback), in the meanwhile I've enabled a BitTorrent seeder
(thanks to S3); Can you give it a try?

david

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:46, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
>> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
>> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
>> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)
> I'm working to make the videos viewable directly in the web page (HTML5
> + flash fallback), in the meanwhile I've enabled a BitTorrent seeder
> (thanks to S3); Can you give it a try?

Excellent! But would you mind to set one torrent file for all of them?
In most clients you can cherry pick the files.

Or at least one page with all torrent links...I'm klicking through the
schedule right now and it's rather tiresome. :) I want to leech them
so I can seed.

Thanks & Cheers,

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 15:51 +0200, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:46, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
> >> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
> >> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
> >> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)
> > I'm working to make the videos viewable directly in the web page (HTML5
> > + flash fallback), in the meanwhile I've enabled a BitTorrent seeder
> > (thanks to S3); Can you give it a try?
>
> Excellent! But would you mind to set one torrent file for all of them?
> In most clients you can cherry pick the files.
>
> Or at least one page with all torrent links...I'm klicking through the
> schedule right now and it's rather tiresome. :) I want to leech them
> so I can seed.
Just do it

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

David Mugnai-3
On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 15:51 +0200, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:46, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> You should seriously just BitTorrent them. That's what BT was made for
> >> and it's even cheaper for you in the end. There are a lot of Python
> >> hackers that will be more than happy to seed as long as it's necessary
> >> (me included) and everybody will be happy. :)
> > I'm working to make the videos viewable directly in the web page (HTML5
> > + flash fallback), in the meanwhile I've enabled a BitTorrent seeder
> > (thanks to S3); Can you give it a try?
>
> Excellent! But would you mind to set one torrent file for all of them?
> In most clients you can cherry pick the files.
>
> Or at least one page with all torrent links...I'm klicking through the
> schedule right now and it's rather tiresome. :) I want to leech them
> so I can seed.
Just do it:

http://ep2011.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2011/list/

I added a "BitTorrent" link  for each talk in the "list view".

HTH
david

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:56, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just do it:
> http://ep2011.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2011/list/
> I added a "BitTorrent" link  for each talk in the "list view".

Thanks! Some torrents don't work though:

Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>33ACE6EFCA87E888</RequestId>
<HostId>
TYrQsOJV7U7omgbyTp0ipcKZmITNI91YdW/okcyVwT2H6wIsH6HAvLuXH4JlgyQS
</HostId>
</Error>

Wanna a list or can you see it in the logs?

cheers,
Hynek

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Harald Armin Massa[legacy]
are there lightning-talk-videos?

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Hynek Schlawack <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:56, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just do it:
> http://ep2011.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2011/list/
> I added a "BitTorrent" link  for each talk in the "list view".

Thanks! Some torrents don't work though:

Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>33ACE6EFCA87E888</RequestId>
<HostId>
TYrQsOJV7U7omgbyTp0ipcKZmITNI91YdW/okcyVwT2H6wIsH6HAvLuXH4JlgyQS
</HostId>
</Error>

Wanna a list or can you see it in the logs?

cheers,
Hynek

A list , just some examples, would be very useful
--
Il sonno della ragione genera mostri

"Harald Armin Massa[legacy]" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
are there lightning-talk-videos?

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare
Harald Armin Massa
Spielberger Straße 49
70435 Stuttgart
0173/9409607
no fx, no carrier pigeon
-
Using PostgreSQL is mostly about sleeping well at night.

Yes, but we'll put them online in the next days (due a tech problem)
--
Il sonno della ragione genera mostri

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Hynek Schlawack-6

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Antonin AMAND-6
http://ep2011.europython.eu/conference/talks/horizontal-scalability-great-success/video?torrent=1

return a 404.

Thanks for the bittorrent seeds.

Antonin

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 16:57 +0200, Antonin AMAND wrote:
> http://ep2011.europython.eu/conference/talks/horizontal-scalability-great-success/video?torrent=1
>
> return a 404.

fixed!
david

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 16:08 +0200, Hynek Schlawack wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 16:01, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A list , just some examples, would be very useful
>
> http://ep2011.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/videos/ubuntu-and-the-opportunistic-programming.mp4?torrent
> http://ep2011.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/videos/what-makes-python-so-awesome.mp4?torrent
> http://ep2011.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/videos/spotify-and-python-love-first-sight.mp4?torrent

you are right, I'm going to start the upload of the missing files very
soon.

Re: [Europython-improve] EP 2011 Videos

Dries Desmet
Appreciate the effort for the videos, but I have to say the sound is a tad bit, well, crappy. If there is a pycon in Belgium, I'd be willing to help you nail this.

Dr.

On 30 June 2011 17:14, David Mugnai <[hidden email]> wrote:
you are right, I'm going to start the upload of the missing files very
soon.

Urga
Wollestraat 5
8790 Waregem