Feature request: 'del app' automatically

BPL

Feature request: 'del app' automatically

BPL
Phil,

A while ago I'd posted you a bug that happened when copying content to the clipboard and the information copied being lost when exiting the app... at that time you'd provided a fast hack that "solved" the issue, let me bring back your answer here at that time:

Ok I can now reproduce the problem. It also happens with C++ when the
QApplication is created on the heap and not explicitly destroyed.
The workaround in your test is to 'del app' at the end of the script.
Tonight's PyQt snapshot adds support for using QCoreApplication (and
sub-classes) as a context manager which calls the C++ dtor when exiting
the context. So...
with QApplication([]) as app:
     app->exec()
Phil

Thing is, in pyside2 you don't need to use any context manager to provide clipboard reliable behaviour so my question is, how hard would be for you to fix this issue properly without forcing the user to use this context manager at all?

Asking cos I have apps where everything is a plugin, even QApplication & subclasses are just plugins so I don't even know how or when they'll be instantiated... being forced to use this context manager is really inconvenient and ugly in many cases (not just mine) so having a reliable behaviour of the clipboard without these context managers like pyside2 would be awesome!!! :)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Feature request: 'del app' automatically

Phil Thompson-5
On 13/08/2019 19:33, BPL wrote:

> Phil,
>
> A while ago I'd posted you a bug that happened when copying content to
> the
> clipboard and the information copied being lost when exiting the app...
> at
> that time you'd provided a fast hack that "solved" the issue, let me
> bring
> back your answer here at that time:
>
> Ok I can now reproduce the problem. It also happens with C++ when the
>> QApplication is created on the heap and not explicitly destroyed.
>> The workaround in your test is to 'del app' at the end of the script.
>> Tonight's PyQt snapshot adds support for using QCoreApplication (and
>> sub-classes) as a context manager which calls the C++ dtor when
>> exiting
>> the context. So...
>> with QApplication([]) as app:
>>      app->exec()
>> Phil
>

> Thing is, in pyside2 you don't need to use any context manager to
> provide
> clipboard reliable behaviour so my question is, how hard would be for
> you
> to fix this issue properly without forcing the user to use this context
> manager at all?
>
> Asking cos I have apps where everything is a plugin, even QApplication
> &
> subclasses are just plugins so I don't even know how or when they'll be
> instantiated... being forced to use this context manager is really
> inconvenient and ugly in many cases (not just mine) so having a
> reliable
> behaviour of the clipboard without these context managers like pyside2
> would be awesome!!! :)

Try the current sip and PyQt5 snapshots.

Phil
BPL

Re: Feature request: 'del app' automatically

BPL
Oh! I didn't know this was already living in the dev branch :O , by any chance... is it the commit `2f419c7ebaae`? If that's so, that's great news! can't wait to try, this bug was really nasty and a lot of times when testing apps I ended up losing a lot of clipboard information.

Anyway, considering `5.13.1` is being released in 15.08.2019 and probably an official new wheel will be uploaded to pypi after that I think I'll wait. Wow, this new release will contain a lot
of interesting bug fixes... really a major one in my book :)

Thanks Phil!!!