FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Antoine Pitrou

Hello,

When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
"FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

(*) http://bugs.python.org/issue12555

Thank you

Antoine.

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Sandro Tosi
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 20:20, Antoine Pitrou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

FilesystemError.

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Ross Lagerwall
> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

I don't think it really matters since both "file system" and
"filesystem" appear to be in common usage.

I would say +1 to "FileSystemError" -- i.e. take file system as two
words.

Cheers
Ross

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Nadeem Vawda
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Ross Lagerwall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
>> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
>> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

I think "FilesystemError" looks nicer, but it's not something I'd lose
sleep over either way.

Cheers,
Nadeem

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

briancurtin
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 13:20, Antoine Pitrou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
"FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

(*) http://bugs.python.org/issue12555

Thank you

Antoine.

I don't care all that much but I'm reminded of the .NET FileSystemWatcher class, so put me down for +0.5 on FileSystemError.

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Barry Warsaw
On Aug 23, 2011, at 08:39 PM, Ross Lagerwall wrote:

>> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
>> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
>> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?
>
>I don't think it really matters since both "file system" and
>"filesystem" appear to be in common usage.
>
>I would say +1 to "FileSystemError" -- i.e. take file system as two
>words.

My online dictionaries prefer "file system" to be two words, so for me,
FileSystemError is preferred.

-Barry

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Ethan Furman-2
Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

FileSystemError

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Stefan Krah-2
Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My online dictionaries prefer "file system" to be two words, so for me,
> FileSystemError is preferred.

+1

Stefan Krah

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Steven D'Aprano-8
Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

It's a file system (two words), not filesystem (not in any dictionary or
spell checker I've ever used).

(Nor do we write filingsystem, governmentsystem, politicalsystem or
schoolsystem. This is English, not German.)

--
Steven

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Vinay Sajip
Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net> writes:

> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

+1 for FileSystemError as I, like others, don't regard "filesystem" as a proper
word.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Laurens Van Houtven-2
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Aug 23, 2011, at 08:39 PM, Ross Lagerwall wrote:

>> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
>> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
>> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?
>
>I don't think it really matters since both "file system" and
>"filesystem" appear to be in common usage.
>
>I would say +1 to "FileSystemError" -- i.e. take file system as two
>words.

My online dictionaries prefer "file system" to be two words, so for me,
FileSystemError is preferred.

-Barry

+1

--
cheers
lvh

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Terry Reedy
On 8/23/2011 2:46 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:

> I don't care all that much but I'm reminded of the .NET
> FileSystemWatcher class, so put me down for +0.5 on FileSystemError.

For other reasons, I am at lease +.5 for FileSystemError also.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Nick Coghlan
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Steven D'Aprano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
>> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
>> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?
>
> It's a file system (two words), not filesystem (not in any dictionary or
> spell checker I've ever used).

I rarely find spell checkers to be useful sources of data on correct
spelling of technical jargon (and the computing usage of the term
'filesystem' definitely qualifies as jargon).

> (Nor do we write filingsystem, governmentsystem, politicalsystem or
> schoolsystem. This is English, not German.)

Personally, I think 'filesystem' is a portmanteau in the process of
coming into existence (as evidenced by usage like 'FHS' standing for
'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard'). However, the two word form is still
useful at times, particularly for disambiguation of acronyms (as
evidenced by usage like 'NFS' and 'GFS' for 'Network File System' and
'Google File System'). The Wikipedia article on the topic mixes and
matches the two forms, but overall does favour the two word form.

Since I tend to use the one word 'filesystem' form myself (ditto for
'filename'), I'm +1 for FilesystemError, but I'm only -0 for
FileSystemError (so I expect that will be the option chosen, given
other responses).

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [hidden email]   |   Brisbane, Australia

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Ezio Melotti
On 24/08/2011 5.31, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Steven D'Aprano<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> (Nor do we write filingsystem, governmentsystem, politicalsystem or
>> schoolsystem. This is English, not German.)
> Personally, I think 'filesystem' is a portmanteau in the process of
> coming into existence (as evidenced by usage like 'FHS' standing for
> 'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard'). However, the two word form is still
> useful at times, particularly for disambiguation of acronyms (as
> evidenced by usage like 'NFS' and 'GFS' for 'Network File System' and
> 'Google File System'). The Wikipedia article on the topic mixes and
> matches the two forms, but overall does favour the two word form.
>
> Since I tend to use the one word 'filesystem' form myself (ditto for
> 'filename'), I'm +1 for FilesystemError, but I'm only -0 for
> FileSystemError (so I expect that will be the option chosen, given
> other responses).

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts.  I saw the wiki article using
both and since I consider 'filesystem' a single word I was wondering if
anyone else preferred FilesystemError.  I'm totally fine with
FileSystemError too though, if most people prefer it.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

> Regards,
> Nick.

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Stephen J. Turnbull
Nick Coghlan writes:

 > Since I tend to use the one word 'filesystem' form myself (ditto for
 > 'filename'), I'm +1 for FilesystemError, but I'm only -0 for
 > FileSystemError (so I expect that will be the option chosen, given
 > other responses).

I slightly prefer FilesystemError because it parses unambiguously.
Cf. FileSystemError vs FileUserError.

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Cameron Simpson
On 24Aug2011 12:31, Nick Coghlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
| On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Steven D'Aprano <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Antoine Pitrou wrote:
| >> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
| >> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
| >> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?
| >
| > It's a file system (two words), not filesystem (not in any dictionary or
| > spell checker I've ever used).
|
| I rarely find spell checkers to be useful sources of data on correct
| spelling of technical jargon (and the computing usage of the term
| 'filesystem' definitely qualifies as jargon).
|
| > (Nor do we write filingsystem, governmentsystem, politicalsystem or
| > schoolsystem. This is English, not German.)
|
| Personally, I think 'filesystem' is a portmanteau in the process of
| coming into existence (as evidenced by usage like 'FHS' standing for
| 'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard'). However, the two word form is still
| useful at times, particularly for disambiguation of acronyms (as
| evidenced by usage like 'NFS' and 'GFS' for 'Network File System' and
| 'Google File System').

Funny, I thought NFS stood for Not a File System :-)

| Since I tend to use the one word 'filesystem' form myself (ditto for
| 'filename'), I'm +1 for FilesystemError, but I'm only -0 for
| FileSystemError (so I expect that will be the option chosen, given
| other responses).

I also use "filesystem" as a one word piece of jargon, but I am
persuaded by the language arguments. So I'm +1 for FileSystemError.

Cameron Simpson <[hidden email]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Bolts get me through times of no courage better than courage gets me
through times of no bolts!
        - Eric Hirst <[hidden email]>

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Eli Bendersky

When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
"FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
be a better spelling. What is your opinion?

(*) http://bugs.python.org/issue12555

+1 for FileSystemError

Eli

Re: FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

John O'Connor-4
+1 FileSystemError - For already stated reasons.

- John