Filming BayPIGgies meeting Thursday

Glen Jarvis
I have a meeting that is going to keep me late at work. I'm not going to be able to get to Mountain View in time to video tape. In fact, I'm not certain I'll make it on time to attend personally.

Can we get alternate volunteers to tape again.

Cheers,

Glen

Python SVG and CGI

Silas Toms

Hello All-

I’m trying to create a Python CGI application that will serve dynamically generated SVG maps (mostly of parcel data generated using supplied GPS coordinates) but I seem to be hitting the twin limitations of my (lack of) knowledge of CGI and the sparseness of Python CGI documentation with regards to the inclusion of SVG embeds or objects. Do any of you have any information/documentation that you could point me towards?

The whole thing is so frustrating because this seems really promising, and I feel like I’m so close to creating something really useful.

PS I’m more of a GIS guy so even the most basic info might be what I need.

Thanks- Silas

Re: Python SVG and CGI

Simeon Franklin
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Silas Toms <[hidden email]> wrote:
I seem to be hitting the twin limitations of my (lack of) knowledge of CGI and the sparseness of Python CGI documentation with regards to the inclusion of SVG embeds or objects. Do any of you have any information/documentation that you could point me towards?

Silas -

Using CGI is pretty old school at this point and I suspect you'd find better documentation if you looked at one of the modern frameworks on the Python Wiki Web Frameworks page (http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks).

SVG on the other hand is a data standard for representing vector images in XML and has nothing to do with CGI or any other HTTP processing model. Perhaps you're trying to figure out how to get SVG images in HTML documents? You could start out with static HTML and a static SVG image. A List Apart just published a good overview of the browser support for various methods for getting SVG in HTML documents that you might find useful - Part 1 is at http://www.alistapart.com/articles/using-svg-for-flexible-scalable-and-fun-backgrounds-part-i/ and part 2 is linked at the bottom of the page...

-regards
Simeon Franklin

Re: Python SVG and CGI

Mark Voorhies
On Wednesday 27 January 2010 2:03 pm Silas Toms wrote:

> Hello All-
>

> I'm trying to create a Python CGI application that will serve dynamically
> generated SVG maps (mostly of parcel data generated using supplied GPS
> coordinates) but I seem to be hitting the twin limitations of my (lack of)
> knowledge of CGI and the sparseness of Python CGI documentation with regards
> to the inclusion of SVG embeds or objects. Do any of you have any
> information/documentation that you could point me towards?
>
> The whole thing is so frustrating because this seems really promising, and I
> feel like I'm so close to creating something really useful.
>

> PS I'm more of a GIS guy so even the most basic info might be what I need.
>

> Thanks- Silas

I haven't had time to play with it, but mapnik from the OpenStreetMap project
is C++ with python bindings and can generate SVG renderings of maps.  It's
LGPL-licensed, so it's probably worth at least looking at their code.

http://mapnik.org/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.5

--Mark

Re: Python SVG and CGI

Mark Voorhies
On Wednesday 27 January 2010 3:12 pm Mark Voorhies wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 January 2010 2:03 pm Silas Toms wrote:
> > Hello All-
> >

> > I'm trying to create a Python CGI application that will serve dynamically
> > generated SVG maps (mostly of parcel data generated using supplied GPS
> > coordinates) but I seem to be hitting the twin limitations of my (lack of)
> > knowledge of CGI and the sparseness of Python CGI documentation with
regards
> > to the inclusion of SVG embeds or objects. Do any of you have any
> > information/documentation that you could point me towards?
> >
> > The whole thing is so frustrating because this seems really promising, and

> > feel like I'm so close to creating something really useful.
> >

> > PS I'm more of a GIS guy so even the most basic info might be what I need.
> >

> > Thanks- Silas
> >

> I haven't had time to play with it, but mapnik from the OpenStreetMap
project

> is C++ with python bindings and can generate SVG renderings of maps.  It's
> LGPL-licensed, so it's probably worth at least looking at their code.
>
> http://mapnik.org/
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.5
>
> --Mark

Slightly off topic, but Inkscape is useful for debugging SVG output.
ctrl-shift-x in Inkscape brings up an XML editor linked to the rendered SVG
image, so you can get immediate feedback on the results of tweaking an SVG
element.  There's also a nice collection of examples for scripting Inkscape
extensions with Python.

http://www.inkscape.org/

--Mark

Re: Python SVG and CGI

Andy Wiggin
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Silas Toms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m trying to create a Python CGI application that will serve dynamically
> generated SVG maps (mostly of parcel data generated using supplied GPS
> coordinates) but I seem to be hitting the twin limitations of my (lack of)
> knowledge of CGI and the sparseness of Python CGI documentation with regards
> to the inclusion of SVG embeds or objects. Do any of you have any
> information/documentation that you could point me towards?
>
> The whole thing is so frustrating because this seems really promising, and I
> feel like I’m so close to creating something really useful.
>
> PS I’m more of a GIS guy so even the most basic info might be what I need.

Silas,
I haven't done quite you're trying to do, but I have served SVG files
from a web server. In the spirit of offering you the most basic info,
I have two tips, both of which you may already know. The Internet
Explorer web browser is not too friendly towards SVG, so if you're
testing with IE, it could be part of your problem. Second is that when
your CGI script services the request for the SVG file, you probably
have to set the content type correctly. Modifying the example from the
Python CGI module docs, you would want something like:

print "Content-Type: image/svg+xml"
print                               # blank line, end of headers

-Andy

Re: Python SVG and CGI

Jeff Kunce
Here's a good basic tutorial on CGI with Python:
  http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/feature_5min_python.html

A big gotcha for python CGI (especially serving binary data) is not running the interpreter in "unbuffered mode" (-u startup option.)  An explanation can be found at:
  http://www.imladris.com/Scripts/PythonForWindows.html
  (scroll down to the last section "Cross-platform shebang lines")

  -- Jeff