First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

Simon Forman-3
I apologize if this is old news. I searched the Python bug tracker and
idle-dev list without finding any mention,

I'm using IDLE 2.6.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.

When I open a file that is longer than the edit window the first line
(containing the cursor) is above the top of the edit window.  Put
another way, the file opens with the second line at the top of the
window rather than the first, giving the impression that the file
starts at the second line, and that the cursor is absent.

I figured I'd ask about it here before filing a bug.

Can anyone shed any light on this behavior?

Warm regards,
~Simon

--
My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like
that of an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while
the prison that restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking
but incorporating the crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient
and incongruous dreams, than like that of a man consciously awake to
danger and opportunity."  --H. P. Wells, "A Short History of the
World"

Re: First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

Simon Forman-3
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I apologize if this is old news. I searched the Python bug tracker and
> idle-dev list without finding any mention,
>
> I'm using IDLE 2.6.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> When I open a file that is longer than the edit window the first line
> (containing the cursor) is above the top of the edit window.  Put
> another way, the file opens with the second line at the top of the
> window rather than the first, giving the impression that the file
> starts at the second line, and that the cursor is absent.
>
> I figured I'd ask about it here before filing a bug.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this behavior?
>
> Warm regards,
> ~Simon

I took a look in the code but I couldn't figure out where or why this
was happening. I managed to "fix" it by adding the following to the
end of the EditorWindow __init__ method:

        text.see('insert')

Is this worth a bug report and patch?

Cheers,
~Simon

--
I live on a Pony Farm: http://fertilefuture.blogspot.com/
My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like
that of an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while
the prison that restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking
but incorporating the crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient
and incongruous dreams, than like that of a man consciously awake to
danger and opportunity."  --H. P. Wells, "A Short History of the
World"

Re: First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

Tal Einat
On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I apologize if this is old news. I searched the Python bug tracker and
>> idle-dev list without finding any mention,
>>
>> I'm using IDLE 2.6.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.
>>
>> When I open a file that is longer than the edit window the first line
>> (containing the cursor) is above the top of the edit window.  Put
>> another way, the file opens with the second line at the top of the
>> window rather than the first, giving the impression that the file
>> starts at the second line, and that the cursor is absent.
>>
>> I figured I'd ask about it here before filing a bug.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this behavior?
>>
>> Warm regards,
>> ~Simon
>
> I took a look in the code but I couldn't figure out where or why this
> was happening. I managed to "fix" it by adding the following to the
> end of the EditorWindow __init__ method:
>
>        text.see('insert')
>
> Is this worth a bug report and patch?

Hi Simon,

EditorWindow.__init__() already calls io.loadfile() when opening a
file, which includes the following near the end:

self.text.mark_set("insert", "1.0")
self.text.see("insert")

However, EditorWindow.__init__() also does a few more things
afterwards. The only thing that I can think of right now that would
have such an effect is the CodeContext extension, which is loaded by
the self.load_extensions() call after io.loadfile(). Could you try
disabling this extension (in the config file) and see if this has an
effect?

- Tal Einat

Re: First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

Bruce Sherwood
I think this is one of the many bugs fixed by Guilherme Polo, which
alas has never made it into the standard release.

Bruce

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Bruce Sherwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Tal Einat <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I took a look in the code but I couldn't figure out where or why this
>>> was happening. I managed to "fix" it by adding the following to the
>>> end of the EditorWindow __init__ method:
>>>
>>>        text.see('insert')
>>>
>>> Is this worth a bug report and patch?
>>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> EditorWindow.__init__() already calls io.loadfile() when opening a
>> file, which includes the following near the end:
>>
>> self.text.mark_set("insert", "1.0")
>> self.text.see("insert")
>>
>> However, EditorWindow.__init__() also does a few more things
>> afterwards. The only thing that I can think of right now that would
>> have such an effect is the CodeContext extension, which is loaded by
>> the self.load_extensions() call after io.loadfile(). Could you try
>> disabling this extension (in the config file) and see if this has an
>> effect?
>>
>> - Tal Einat
>
> I think this is one of the many bugs fixed by Guilherme Polo, which
> alas has never made it into the standard release.
>
> Bruce

Tal, I commented out my "fix" and set 'enable=0' in the [CodeContext]
section of the config-extensions.def file but the behavior still
occurs.

Looking over http://bugs.python.org/issue10079 I see your comment,
Bruce, to the effect that a line in IOBinding.py causes the bug.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to if and how I could help this
fix get in to the standard release?

Having used IDLE professionally as my only IDE for Python for nearly
eight years I'd be delighted if I could give back some effort. :)

Warm regards,
~Simon

--
I live on a Pony Farm: http://fertilefuture.blogspot.com/
My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like
that of an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while
the prison that restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking
but incorporating the crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient
and incongruous dreams, than like that of a man consciously awake to
danger and opportunity."  --H. P. Wells, "A Short History of the
World"

Re: First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

Ned Deily
In article
<[hidden email]>,
 Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tal, I commented out my "fix" and set 'enable=0' in the [CodeContext]
> section of the config-extensions.def file but the behavior still
> occurs.
>
> Looking over http://bugs.python.org/issue10079 I see your comment,
> Bruce, to the effect that a line in IOBinding.py causes the bug.
>
> Can anyone give me some guidance as to if and how I could help this
> fix get in to the standard release?

Please open an issue on the Python bug tracker for this problem and
we'll get it fixed.

--
 Ned Deily,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In article
> <[hidden email]>,
>  Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Tal, I commented out my "fix" and set 'enable=0' in the [CodeContext]
>> section of the config-extensions.def file but the behavior still
>> occurs.
>>
>> Looking over http://bugs.python.org/issue10079 I see your comment,
>> Bruce, to the effect that a line in IOBinding.py causes the bug.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some guidance as to if and how I could help this
>> fix get in to the standard release?
>
> Please open an issue on the Python bug tracker for this problem and
> we'll get it fixed.
>
> --
>  Ned Deily,
>  [hidden email]

Done.  See http://bugs.python.org/issue12590

Cheers,
~Simon
--
I live on a Pony Farm: http://fertilefuture.blogspot.com/
My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like
that of an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while
the prison that restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking
but incorporating the crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient
and incongruous dreams, than like that of a man consciously awake to
danger and opportunity."  --H. P. Wells, "A Short History of the
World"

Re: First line and cursor not visible when opening a file.

Ned Deily
In article
<CAG08Ry+78Bs+mdxaJxB2+AnJvoivUtzaotjvXY0Yw=[hidden email]>,
 Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Please open an issue on the Python bug tracker for this problem and
> > we'll get it fixed.
> Done.  See http://bugs.python.org/issue12590

And now fixed.  See the issue for the resolution.

--
 Ned Deily,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In article
> <CAG08Ry+78Bs+mdxaJxB2+AnJvoivUtzaotjvXY0Yw=[hidden email]>,
>  Simon Forman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Please open an issue on the Python bug tracker for this problem and
>> > we'll get it fixed.
>> Done.  See http://bugs.python.org/issue12590
>
> And now fixed.  See the issue for the resolution.
>
> --
>  Ned Deily,

Oh awesome. Well met sir. :)

~Simon