Fixing and Improving IDLE

Roger Serwy-2
IDLE Developers,

By my count there are over 110 valid open issues against IDLE, some
minor and others major. Let's try to make that number smaller.

Here is a partial list of issues that have working patches:

3573    IDLE hangs when passing invalid command line args
(directory(ies) instead of file(s))
5219    IDLE/Tkinter: edit win stops updating when tooltip is active
6698    IDLE no longer opens only an edit window when configured to do so
6699    IDLE: Warn user about overwriting a file that has a newer
version on filesystem
7136    Idle File Menu Option Improvement
7676    IDLE shell shouldn't use TABs
8515    idle "Run Module" (F5) does not set __file__ variable
8900    IDLE crashes if Preference set to At Startup -> Open Edit Window
13039   IDLE editor: shell-like behaviour on line starting with ">>>"
13179   IDLE uses common tkinter variables across all editor windows
13495   IDLE: Regression - Two ColorDelegator instances loaded
13506   IDLE sys.path does not contain Current Working Directory

Can these patches be applied? I understand that there will be need for
some discussion, but we should try to avoid the bike shed problem.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of "duplicate" bug reports. Some
issues deal with invalid key bindings and should have a common solution:
4765, 5707, 6739, 11437, 12387, 13071. (IdleX already has a work-around
for these issues.) Other issues deal with permission error handling of
configHandler.py: 4625, 8231, 9404, 9925.

One major patch which requires some updating and much consideration is:
10079   idlelib for Python 3 with Guilherme Polo GSoC enhancements
There are a lot of good improvements in there.

I am willing to help with fixing the remaining bugs if the IDLE
developers are willing to help as well.

- Roger

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Sean Felipe Wolfe
Nice to see this mail! I'm a big fan of IDLE though and it's nice to
see. I'm not really a IDLE developer yet but I'm boning up on tkinter
to try and help out in the future... maybe in time to help out with
this.

Did you guys catch this article? I think so cause there are a lot of
comments. Anyhow, I dig a lot of the suggestions.
http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-things-i-hate-about-idle-that-i-wish-someone-would-fix/

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Roger Serwy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IDLE Developers,
>
> By my count there are over 110 valid open issues against IDLE, some minor
> and others major. Let's try to make that number smaller.
>
> Here is a partial list of issues that have working patches:
>
> 3573    IDLE hangs when passing invalid command line args (directory(ies)
> instead of file(s))
> 5219    IDLE/Tkinter: edit win stops updating when tooltip is active
> 6698    IDLE no longer opens only an edit window when configured to do so
> 6699    IDLE: Warn user about overwriting a file that has a newer version on
> filesystem
> 7136    Idle File Menu Option Improvement
> 7676    IDLE shell shouldn't use TABs
> 8515    idle "Run Module" (F5) does not set __file__ variable
> 8900    IDLE crashes if Preference set to At Startup -> Open Edit Window
> 13039   IDLE editor: shell-like behaviour on line starting with ">>>"
> 13179   IDLE uses common tkinter variables across all editor windows
> 13495   IDLE: Regression - Two ColorDelegator instances loaded
> 13506   IDLE sys.path does not contain Current Working Directory
>
> Can these patches be applied? I understand that there will be need for some
> discussion, but we should try to avoid the bike shed problem.
>
> Not surprisingly, there are a lot of "duplicate" bug reports. Some issues
> deal with invalid key bindings and should have a common solution: 4765,
> 5707, 6739, 11437, 12387, 13071. (IdleX already has a work-around for these
> issues.) Other issues deal with permission error handling of
> configHandler.py: 4625, 8231, 9404, 9925.
>
> One major patch which requires some updating and much consideration is:
> 10079   idlelib for Python 3 with Guilherme Polo GSoC enhancements
> There are a lot of good improvements in there.
>
> I am willing to help with fixing the remaining bugs if the IDLE developers
> are willing to help as well.
>
> - Roger

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Roger Serwy-2
I am glad that you are willing to help with fixing IDLE. Tkinter
experience is not a strong prerequisite; you can contribute simply by
testing patches already provided and giving your feedback. With more
reviewers we can iron-out any unanticipated side-effects.

I can offer what I know about IDLE's internals if you or anyone else
needs it (while it is still fresh in my memory) .

Al Sweigart's article discusses several important shortcomings of IDLE.
Nick Coghlan created a meta-issue for it: #13504.  Some of those issues
are actually fixed in IdleX.

On 12/12/2011 01:30 PM, Sean Wolfe wrote:

> Nice to see this mail! I'm a big fan of IDLE though and it's nice to
> see. I'm not really a IDLE developer yet but I'm boning up on tkinter
> to try and help out in the future... maybe in time to help out with
> this.
>
> Did you guys catch this article? I think so cause there are a lot of
> comments. Anyhow, I dig a lot of the suggestions.
> http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-things-i-hate-about-idle-that-i-wish-someone-would-fix/
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Roger Serwy<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> IDLE Developers,
>>
>> By my count there are over 110 valid open issues against IDLE, some minor
>> and others major. Let's try to make that number smaller.
>>
>> Here is a partial list of issues that have working patches:
>>
>> 3573    IDLE hangs when passing invalid command line args (directory(ies)
>> instead of file(s))
>> 5219    IDLE/Tkinter: edit win stops updating when tooltip is active
>> 6698    IDLE no longer opens only an edit window when configured to do so
>> 6699    IDLE: Warn user about overwriting a file that has a newer version on
>> filesystem
>> 7136    Idle File Menu Option Improvement
>> 7676    IDLE shell shouldn't use TABs
>> 8515    idle "Run Module" (F5) does not set __file__ variable
>> 8900    IDLE crashes if Preference set to At Startup ->  Open Edit Window
>> 13039   IDLE editor: shell-like behaviour on line starting with ">>>"
>> 13179   IDLE uses common tkinter variables across all editor windows
>> 13495   IDLE: Regression - Two ColorDelegator instances loaded
>> 13506   IDLE sys.path does not contain Current Working Directory
>>
>> Can these patches be applied? I understand that there will be need for some
>> discussion, but we should try to avoid the bike shed problem.
>>
>> Not surprisingly, there are a lot of "duplicate" bug reports. Some issues
>> deal with invalid key bindings and should have a common solution: 4765,
>> 5707, 6739, 11437, 12387, 13071. (IdleX already has a work-around for these
>> issues.) Other issues deal with permission error handling of
>> configHandler.py: 4625, 8231, 9404, 9925.
>>
>> One major patch which requires some updating and much consideration is:
>> 10079   idlelib for Python 3 with Guilherme Polo GSoC enhancements
>> There are a lot of good improvements in there.
>>
>> I am willing to help with fixing the remaining bugs if the IDLE developers
>> are willing to help as well.
>>
>> - Roger

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Sean Felipe Wolfe
Got it. Let me read up on idle hacking and familiarize myself with the
bug tracker and I'll get back with you.

What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Roger Serwy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Not surprisingly, there are a lot of "duplicate" bug reports. Some issues
>>> deal with invalid key bindings and should have a common solution: 4765,
>>> 5707, 6739, 11437, 12387, 13071. (IdleX already has a work-around for
>>> these
>>> issues.) Other issues deal with permission error handling of
>>> configHandler.py: 4625, 8231, 9404, 9925.
>>>
>>> One major patch which requires some updating and much consideration is:
>>> 10079   idlelib for Python 3 with Guilherme Polo GSoC enhancements
>>> There are a lot of good improvements in there.
>>>
>>> I am willing to help with fixing the remaining bugs if the IDLE
>>> developers
>>> are willing to help as well.
>>>
>>> - Roger

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.

IdleX - http://idlex.sourceforge.net

It's a collection of extensions and bug fixes for stock IDLE. It is not
a fork as much as a wrapper.

On 12/12/2011 02:58 PM, Sean Wolfe wrote:

> Got it. Let me read up on idle hacking and familiarize myself with the
> bug tracker and I'll get back with you.
>
> What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
> fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Roger Serwy<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I am glad that you are willing to help with fixing IDLE. Tkinter experience
>> is not a strong prerequisite; you can contribute simply by testing patches
>> already provided and giving your feedback. With more reviewers we can
>> iron-out any unanticipated side-effects.
>>
>> I can offer what I know about IDLE's internals if you or anyone else needs
>> it (while it is still fresh in my memory) .
>>
>> Al Sweigart's article discusses several important shortcomings of IDLE. Nick
>> Coghlan created a meta-issue for it: #13504.  Some of those issues are
>> actually fixed in IdleX.
>>

>> On 12/12/2011 01:30 PM, Sean Wolfe wrote:
>>> Nice to see this mail! I'm a big fan of IDLE though and it's nice to
>>> see. I'm not really a IDLE developer yet but I'm boning up on tkinter
>>> to try and help out in the future... maybe in time to help out with
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Did you guys catch this article? I think so cause there are a lot of
>>> comments. Anyhow, I dig a lot of the suggestions.
>>>
>>> http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-things-i-hate-about-idle-that-i-wish-someone-would-fix/

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Sean Felipe Wolfe
Ok, you know now, I remember seeing this. It has a lot of the stuff I
want to see also, like tabbed windows and reordering. Cool!

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Roger Serwy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IdleX - http://idlex.sourceforge.net
>
> It's a collection of extensions and bug fixes for stock IDLE. It is not a
> fork as much as a wrapper.
>

> On 12/12/2011 02:58 PM, Sean Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Got it. Let me read up on idle hacking and familiarize myself with the
>> bug tracker and I'll get back with you.
>>
>> What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
>> fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Roger Serwy<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I am glad that you are willing to help with fixing IDLE. Tkinter
>>> experience
>>> is not a strong prerequisite; you can contribute simply by testing
>>> patches
>>> already provided and giving your feedback. With more reviewers we can
>>> iron-out any unanticipated side-effects.
>>>
>>> I can offer what I know about IDLE's internals if you or anyone else
>>> needs
>>> it (while it is still fresh in my memory) .
>>>
>>> Al Sweigart's article discusses several important shortcomings of IDLE.
>>> Nick
>>> Coghlan created a meta-issue for it: #13504.  Some of those issues are
>>> actually fixed in IdleX.

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Tal Einat
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Sean Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:

What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.

Please, if possible, avoid creating yet another fork of IDLE!

History has shown that it is very difficult to merge features from a fork back into IDLE.

Also, IDLE isn't getting too much developer attention as it is (except for Roger and Nick who have been doing a great job recently!), so it would be great to have your efforts contribute to IDLE directly, in coordination with the few current developers.

- Tal Einat

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

phil jones-5
On the subject of forking and remerging etc. where's the IDLE code?

Would it be a good idea to move it to GitHub or BitBucket under git or hg?

Also, I'd suggest that if there's a page with information for
developers, someone links to it from http://wiki.python.org/moin/IDLE

regards

phil

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Tal Einat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Sean Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
>> fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.
>

> Please, if possible, avoid creating yet another fork of IDLE!
>
> History has shown that it is very difficult to merge features from a fork
> back into IDLE.
>
> Also, IDLE isn't getting too much developer attention as it is (except for
> Roger and Nick who have been doing a great job recently!), so it would be
> great to have your efforts contribute to IDLE directly, in coordination with
> the few current developers.
>
> - Tal Einat

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Roger Serwy-2
The IDLE code is included with the standard library. It can be found in
the Mercurial repository referenced at http://docs.python.org/devguide/

I agree that the wiki should include this information.

- Roger

On 12/20/2011 06:58 AM, phil jones wrote:

> On the subject of forking and remerging etc. where's the IDLE code?
>
> Would it be a good idea to move it to GitHub or BitBucket under git or hg?
>
> Also, I'd suggest that if there's a page with information for
> developers, someone links to it from http://wiki.python.org/moin/IDLE
>
> regards
>
> phil
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Tal Einat<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Sean Wolfe<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
>>> fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.
>>
>> Please, if possible, avoid creating yet another fork of IDLE!
>>
>> History has shown that it is very difficult to merge features from a fork
>> back into IDLE.
>>
>> Also, IDLE isn't getting too much developer attention as it is (except for
>> Roger and Nick who have been doing a great job recently!), so it would be
>> great to have your efforts contribute to IDLE directly, in coordination with
>> the few current developers.
>>
>> - Tal Einat

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

phil jones-5
Seems a bit of overkill to have to check out the entire developers
edition of python.

Doesn't hg have submodules? Even if IDLE is in the standard library,
it must be possible to treat it as a separate project from the
developer's perspective and then merge it in when building a
distribution.

phil

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Roger Serwy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The IDLE code is included with the standard library. It can be found in the
> Mercurial repository referenced at http://docs.python.org/devguide/
>
> I agree that the wiki should include this information.
>
> - Roger
>

> On 12/20/2011 06:58 AM, phil jones wrote:
>>
>> On the subject of forking and remerging etc. where's the IDLE code?
>>
>> Would it be a good idea to move it to GitHub or BitBucket under git or hg?
>>
>> Also, I'd suggest that if there's a page with information for
>> developers, someone links to it from http://wiki.python.org/moin/IDLE
>>
>> regards
>>
>> phil

>>> Please, if possible, avoid creating yet another fork of IDLE!
>>>
>>> History has shown that it is very difficult to merge features from a fork
>>> back into IDLE.
>>>
>>> Also, IDLE isn't getting too much developer attention as it is (except
>>> for
>>> Roger and Nick who have been doing a great job recently!), so it would be
>>> great to have your efforts contribute to IDLE directly, in coordination
>>> with
>>> the few current developers.
>>>
>>> - Tal Einat

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Roger Serwy-2
As far as I know, Mercurial does not support partial checkout. See
http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/issue105

- Roger

On 12/20/2011 10:40 AM, phil jones wrote:

> Seems a bit of overkill to have to check out the entire developers
> edition of python.
>
> Doesn't hg have submodules? Even if IDLE is in the standard library,
> it must be possible to treat it as a separate project from the
> developer's perspective and then merge it in when building a
> distribution.
>
> phil
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Roger Serwy<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> The IDLE code is included with the standard library. It can be found in the
>> Mercurial repository referenced at http://docs.python.org/devguide/
>>
>> I agree that the wiki should include this information.
>>
>> - Roger
>>

>> On 12/20/2011 06:58 AM, phil jones wrote:
>>> On the subject of forking and remerging etc. where's the IDLE code?
>>>
>>> Would it be a good idea to move it to GitHub or BitBucket under git or hg?
>>>
>>> Also, I'd suggest that if there's a page with information for
>>> developers, someone links to it from http://wiki.python.org/moin/IDLE
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> phil

Re: Fixing and Improving IDLE

Terry Reedy
I have considered the possibility of separating IDLE, but I see two
problems.

1. Although the IDLE code is currently very similar for each current
Python version, it is not exactly the same. Py2/Py3 differences are
obvious. Less obvious is that if we use ttk widgets, such as tabbed
windows, as has been proposed, we might not want to backport to 2.7
IDLE, or even 3.2 IDLE. Or we might want to use a new 3.3 feature
elsewhere in Python for 3.3 IDLE.

An example of version differences from rpc.py, line 107:
  print>>erf, '\n' + '-'*40
  print('\n' + '-'*40, file=erf)
We could use __future__ imports to make the code more uniform. But I
would ask on pydev list before doing so.

2. Each IDLE version has to run with the corresponding release and
therefore should be tested with the current development version of each
release. If any patch, even a bugfix, breaks IDLE, we should know as
soon as possible, not on release day.

--
Terry Jan Reedy