Flash chat using PyAMF

rpb

Flash chat using PyAMF

rpb
Hi all!

Has anybody developed chat software using PyAMF? Is there any software
known to work wit PyAMF without too much porting headaches(from PHP for
example)

Thanks!

Re: Flash chat using PyAMF

Arnar Birgisson
Hello Akira,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM, akira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Has anybody developed chat software using PyAMF? Is there any software
>  known to work wit PyAMF without too much porting headaches(from PHP for
>  example)

What do you mean specifically by "software" here? PyAMF works with any
Python code and out of the box with several frameworks (as you've seen
already I believe). Porting something from PHP can be non-trivial, but
that is more of a "web programming in Python" than anything PyAMF
related.

Arnar

rpb

Re: Flash chat using PyAMF

rpb
Hi Arnar,

I mean software in the sense of  Flash/Actionscript source that would
use PyAMF to communicate with the backend. I know that PyAMF works wth
other Frameworks.

Thanks

Arnar Birgisson wrote:

> Hello Akira,
>
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM, akira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Has anybody developed chat software using PyAMF? Is there any software
>>  known to work wit PyAMF without too much porting headaches(from PHP for
>>  example)
>>

> What do you mean specifically by "software" here? PyAMF works with any
> Python code and out of the box with several frameworks (as you've seen
> already I believe). Porting something from PHP can be non-trivial, but
> that is more of a "web programming in Python" than anything PyAMF
> related.
>
> Arnar

Re: Flash chat using PyAMF

Arnar Birgisson
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:45 PM, akira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I mean software in the sense of  Flash/Actionscript source that would
>  use PyAMF to communicate with the backend. I know that PyAMF works wth
>  other Frameworks.

Ah, ok. Then I wouldn't know - Thijs knows more about the Flash/AS world.

cheers,
Arnar

Re: Flash chat using PyAMF

Thijs Triemstra
Hi Akira,

I think you want something like RTMPy, under heavy development atm..
are you familiar with Flash Media Server or Red5?
It basically allows you to transport audio/video/data between a server/
client, like webcam streams, actionscript objects, sharedobjects etc.
We started out working on RTMPy but Nick suggested to create a generic
AMF library first, because of most of the stuff in RTMP is wrapped in
AMF.

So for a chat application you would create a NetConnection in the
Flash client that connects to RTMPy on rtmp://localhost/chat/room1
This puts you in an instance ('room1') of the the application
('chat'). From there you can broadcast a message to the room using
NetConnection.call('sendMessage', 'Hello World!')
or use SharedObjects that basically work the same. But you could also
use the Socket class in the Flash Player, use Twisted to create a
socket server, and use PyAMF to push
Actionscript objects to the client. An example of this can be found on http://blog.pyamf.org/archives/socket-example

hth,

Thijs