Fwd: Poetry (and some versions of Pip) fail to install PyQt5-sip when installing PyQt5.11 from PyPi

Fwd: Poetry (and some versions of Pip) fail to install PyQt5-sip when installing PyQt5.11 from PyPi

jimbo1qaz-2
Did my first email attempt get rejected because I wasn't subscribed?

When installing PyQt5 5.11.3 via Poetry, I get an error when running Python and importing QtCore or QtGui:

>>> from PyQt5 import QtCore
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.sip'

I also experienced the same error when running `pip install .` (executes setup.py) on Appveyor. Maybe some versions of Pip/setuptools experience the same issue.

The developer of Poetry diagnosed this issue:

Basically the wheels for pyqt5 specify metadata in version 1.1 but their dependencies are declared using Requires-Dist which is only valid for the metadata specification 1.2+ this is why Poetry doesn't pick up pyqt5-sip.

Will this packaging issue be resolved at some point?

Re: Poetry (and some versions of Pip) fail to install PyQt5-sip when installing PyQt5.11 from PyPi

Phil Thompson-5
On 20 Dec 2018, at 11:33 pm, jimbo1qaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did my first email attempt get rejected because I wasn't subscribed?

Yes.

> When installing PyQt5 5.11.3 via Poetry, I get an error when running Python and importing QtCore or QtGui:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.sip'
>
> I also experienced the same error when running `pip install .` (executes setup.py) on Appveyor. Maybe some versions of Pip/setuptools experience the same issue.
>
> The developer of Poetry diagnosed this issue:
>
> https://github.com/sdispater/poetry/issues/314
> Basically the wheels for pyqt5 specify metadata in version 1.1 but their dependencies are declared using Requires-Dist which is only valid for the metadata specification 1.2+ this is why Poetry doesn't pick up pyqt5-sip.
>
> Will this packaging issue be resolved at some point?

Next release - this is the first I've heard of it.

Thanks,
Phil