[Fwd: Python auto-completion without pymacs]

[Fwd: Python auto-completion without pymacs]

Andreas Röhler

Given that I had some bad experiences with pymacs I would like to avoid
it entirely, but I would still love to have things like auto completion
or inline documentation.

Anyone has seen some of those features implemented without using pymacs
maybe?
Thanks

Re: [Fwd: Python auto-completion without pymacs]

François Pinard
Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:

> From: Andrea Crotti <[hidden email]>
> Date: 2010-04-13 07:45

> Given that I had some bad experiences with pymacs I would like to avoid
> it entirely [...]

I'm a bit curious about what those bad experiences have been.  It's not
that I want you to use Pymacs, I'm not using it much myself :-).
Moreover, I could at least warn my users, and it might help python-mode
maintainers deciding about what's best for python-mode users.

Pymacs has some flaws, which I document in the manual when I learn about
them.  Some may be serious.  When signals get intercepted on the Python
side, the Lisp part and the Python part lose synchronization while
unstacking, while they should ideally unstack synchronously.  Threading
on the Python side may seriously mix things if proper care is not taken.

And more recently, I saw that Pymacs is useless at really inspecting the
state of a running program started though python-mode.  At least weaker
than pdb.  Completion is surely limited, would it be for this reason.

I'm not saying that Pymacs should be avoided, but at least, we should
try to have a clear mind about what it can and cannot do.  So yes, bad
experiences are worth reporting, too. :-)

François

Re: [Fwd: Python auto-completion without pymacs]

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 27.01.2012 05:28, schrieb François Pinard:

> Andreas Röhler<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> From: Andrea Crotti<[hidden email]>
>> Date: 2010-04-13 07:45
>
>> Given that I had some bad experiences with pymacs I would like to avoid
>> it entirely [...]
>
> I'm a bit curious about what those bad experiences have been.  It's not
> that I want you to use Pymacs, I'm not using it much myself :-).
> Moreover, I could at least warn my users, and it might help python-mode
> maintainers deciding about what's best for python-mode users.
>
> Pymacs has some flaws, which I document in the manual when I learn about
> them.  Some may be serious.  When signals get intercepted on the Python
> side, the Lisp part and the Python part lose synchronization while
> unstacking, while they should ideally unstack synchronously.  Threading
> on the Python side may seriously mix things if proper care is not taken.
>
> And more recently, I saw that Pymacs is useless at really inspecting the
> state of a running program started though python-mode.  At least weaker
> than pdb.  Completion is surely limited, would it be for this reason.
>
> I'm not saying that Pymacs should be avoided, but at least, we should
> try to have a clear mind about what it can and cannot do.  So yes, bad
> experiences are worth reporting, too. :-)
>
> François

Hi François,

appreciate it that much seeing you step into.
Will also preserve that as an example in various respects.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-mode/+spec/pymacs-issues

Cheers