Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Mike Dewhirst-3
Anyone interested?

Re: Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Goran - Kogan
I think that would be a great idea!

Do you think it would be worth getting interested parties together at PyconAU this year to discuss this or even put the wheels in motion?

Cheers

Goran Stefkovski

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Mike Dewhirst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone interested?

Re: Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

John Thorn-2
No. Not when there are other equally good web application frameworks on this planet. Honestly Mike. Try to see more of this universe than the Django ecosystem. Ruby on rails can't be THAT bad. If a clown like me can set up a ROR web application framework then I am sure that you could.

As for going, no thanks. The vast majority of geeks are well on the way to autistic/aspergers on the spectrum. I would rather spend my free time with normal, balanced people rather than command-line nuts. I have better things to do with 100000 hours than spend it scripting. I actually have a life.

I also know that there is this thing called an alphabet. It starts with A...and ends with Z. Most geeks can't read. They have spent their time doing C instead. Take that Andrew Tridgell for instance. Great programmer. Has about the alphabetical literacy level of a cabbage.

I might find an improv drama group. But conferences? Please. Don't drive me nuts at the thought. I have no real interest in hanging around techno-neanderthals to whom the French Revolution never happened because it's not a C or python script.

Andrew Thornton

> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:25:14 +1000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [melbourne-pug] Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific
>
> Anyone interested?

Noon Silk
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Andrew Thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I might find an improv drama group.

Oh I don't think that's necessary, you seem pretty good at it.

--
Noon Silk | http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/ >

Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en

of being this signature."

Re: Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Rory Hart-3
This is a joke right? Right?

Rory Hart

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Andrew Thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:
No. Not when there are other equally good web application frameworks on this planet. Honestly Mike. Try to see more of this universe than the Django ecosystem. Ruby on rails can't be THAT bad. If a clown like me can set up a ROR web application framework then I am sure that you could.

As for going, no thanks. The vast majority of geeks are well on the way to autistic/aspergers on the spectrum. I would rather spend my free time with normal, balanced people rather than command-line nuts. I have better things to do with 100000 hours than spend it scripting. I actually have a life.

I also know that there is this thing called an alphabet. It starts with A...and ends with Z. Most geeks can't read. They have spent their time doing C instead. Take that Andrew Tridgell for instance. Great programmer. Has about the alphabetical literacy level of a cabbage.

I might find an improv drama group. But conferences? Please. Don't drive me nuts at the thought. I have no real interest in hanging around techno-neanderthals to whom the French Revolution never happened because it's not a C or python script.

Andrew Thornton

> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:25:14 +1000
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [melbourne-pug] Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

> Anyone interested?

Anthony Briggs-3
On 22 June 2011 19:45, Noon Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Andrew Thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I might find an improv drama group.

Oh I don't think that's necessary, you seem pretty good at it.

Indeed. Andrew, I'm not sure what you were hoping to get out of sending that email, but it was offensive and way out of line. Please don't send any more like it.

Thanks,

Anthony

Re: Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Kevin Littlejohn
I figure it was either a joke, or an attempt to get added to "do not
employ" lists throughout melbourne...

*plonk*

KJL

On 22 June 2011 21:28, Rory Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a joke right? Right?
> Rory Hart
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Andrew Thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No. Not when there are other equally good web application frameworks on
>> this planet. Honestly Mike. Try to see more of this universe than the Django
>> ecosystem. Ruby on rails can't be THAT bad. If a clown like me can set up a
>> ROR web application framework then I am sure that you could.
>>
>> As for going, no thanks. The vast majority of geeks are well on the way to
>> autistic/aspergers on the spectrum. I would rather spend my free time with
>> normal, balanced people rather than command-line nuts. I have better things
>> to do with 100000 hours than spend it scripting. I actually have a life.
>>
>> I also know that there is this thing called an alphabet. It starts with
>> A...and ends with Z. Most geeks can't read. They have spent their time doing
>> C instead. Take that Andrew Tridgell for instance. Great programmer. Has
>> about the alphabetical literacy level of a cabbage.
>>
>> I might find an improv drama group. But conferences? Please. Don't drive
>> me nuts at the thought. I have no real interest in hanging around
>> techno-neanderthals to whom the French Revolution never happened because
>> it's not a C or python script.
>>
>> Andrew Thornton
>>

>> > Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:25:14 +1000
>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: [melbourne-pug] Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia
>> > Pacific
>> >
>> > Anyone interested?

Kevin Littlejohn
Obsidian Consulting Group
ph: +613 9355 7844
skype: silarsis

Re: Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Noon Silk
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Kevin Littlejohn
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I figure it was either a joke, or an attempt to get added to "do not
> employ" lists throughout melbourne...

Ah, let's not be so harsh as that; I think everyone has had a bad day,
or made an unnecessary public statement.

--
Noon Silk | http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/ >

Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en

of being this signature."

Re: Fwd: Re: Upcoming Django conference in Asia Pacific

Ryan Verner
I suspect it was a partially tongue-in-cheek response that was meant to be offlis... ooh, look, shiny!

In all seriousness; yes, I'd be interested in a AU Djangocon, but I'd like to see Pycon AU grow first as I suspect there is more harm in segregating into separate conferences than running two of them at this point; the Django crowd seemed well catered for at last years conference.  (I'd probably go to both, though, particularly if they were some months apart...)

On 22/06/2011, at 21:49 , Ryan Verner wrote:
> In all seriousness; yes, I'd be interested in a AU Djangocon, but I'd like to see Pycon AU grow first as I suspect there is more harm in segregating into separate conferences than running two of them at this point; the Django crowd seemed well catered for at last years conference.  (I'd probably go to both, though, particularly if they were some months apart...)

Let's try that again: I see more harm in segregating rather than having a single conference at the moment.  But I'm interested: are people after a more Django-centric conference, preferring Pycon AU to be less Django-centric?  Maybe my memory is fuzzy but it seemed a very large % of talks were Django orientated last year, and we're not anywhere even close to having to deal with the capacity issues of the EU/US Python conferences, where expanding out into sub-conferences makes more sense.

That said, this may not even need community debate: unlike Pycon US (ran by the PSF, a non-profit entity), Djangocon US is ran by a for-profit company, although they contribute heavily back to the DSF and there is a lot community involvement.

> On 22/06/2011, at 21:41 , Kevin Littlejohn wrote:
>
>> I figure it was either a joke, or an attempt to get added to "do not
>> employ" lists throughout melbourne...
>>
>> *plonk*
>>
>> KJL
>>
>> On 22 June 2011 21:28, Rory Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This is a joke right? Right?
>>> Rory Hart

Ryan Kelly
On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 22:13 +1000, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On 22/06/2011, at 21:49 , Ryan Verner wrote:
> > In all seriousness; yes, I'd be interested in a AU Djangocon, but
> I'd like to see Pycon AU grow first as I suspect there is more harm in
> segregating into separate conferences than running two of them at this
> point; the Django crowd seemed well catered for at last years
> conference.  (I'd probably go to both, though, particularly if they
> were some months apart...)

I agree.  The Australian python community seems to be really finding its
legs at the moment, lets not go all Peoples-Front-of-Judea on it
(splitters!) until PyCon Au is more firmly entrenched.

That said, if there were to be a DjangoCon Au, a great way to get it off
the ground would be as a "miniconf" associated with PyCon AU.  I'd
certainly go - heck, I've probably got enough material for a talk
kicking around here somewhere.

> Maybe my memory is fuzzy but it seemed a very large % of talks were
> Django orientated last year,

There were several complaints about the conference being a little too
Django-heavy last year.  But, I suspect that's just a reflection of the
Python community as a whole and the path by which many people have come
to python - as I'm sure Ruby conferences are too Rails-heavy for some
people's tastes.

And for anyone on this list who might happen to think there's even a
shred of truth in this, don't.  PyCon Au last year was an excellent mix
of interesting, well-rounded, mentally-healthy people.

You should all come this year :-)

  Cheers,

    Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly
http://www.rfk.id.au  |  This message is digitally signed. Please visit

On 23/06/2011 8:45am, Ryan kelly wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 22:13 +1000, Ryan Verner wrote:
>> On 22/06/2011, at 21:49 , Ryan Verner wrote:
>>> In all seriousness; yes, I'd be interested in a AU Djangocon, but
>> I'd like to see Pycon AU grow first as I suspect there is more harm in
>> segregating into separate conferences than running two of them at this
>> point; the Django crowd seemed well catered for at last years
>> conference.  (I'd probably go to both, though, particularly if they
>> were some months apart...)
> I agree.  The Australian python community seems to be really finding its
> legs at the moment, lets not go all Peoples-Front-of-Judea on it
> (splitters!) until PyCon Au is more firmly entrenched.
Ryan

You are right - the legs are definitely there. You and Richard and the
others have done a great job. Django could never split a PyCon because
it is python all the way down. Except for the web part of it of course.
That's all javascript and css and yucky stuff like that. I see what you
mean ....

> That said, if there were to be a DjangoCon Au, a great way to get it off
> the ground would be as a "miniconf" associated with PyCon AU.  I'd
> certainly go - heck, I've probably got enough material for a talk
> kicking around here somewhere.

I think it ought to be a stream within rather than something which
blocks other streams. Maybe there isn't enough django adoption yet and
it should be a web stream instead? Speaking for myself though, I'd
definitely make it a django stream.

I thought last year's PyConAU in Sydney was great. I went to everything
django/web ahead of everything else but I enjoyed that other stuff too
and learned heaps. I'm just sorry I can't go again this year.

Mike