[Fwd: Re: python setup ?]

Andreas Röhler
Hi Barry,

as some questions about Emacs and python are raised, I forward that here.

Tend to delete all files beside python-mode.el from my branch.

Good idea? Agreed?

Andreas

Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>> Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
>>> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
>>> more predictible.
>>>
>>> Comments welcome.
>>>
>>> BTW have a look at pydb from Rocky Bernstein, if not done already.
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>>

>> I see you have a pycomplete. Nicholaj Schum has jus put together a
>> company mode backend for pysmell. How does pycomplete compare to
>> pysmell?
>>

> Thats part of the package kept by Barry Warsaw.  Made a branch from it,
> but changed only python-mode.el.
>
> I'm not sure to keep this files in my branch or not.
>
> Nonetheless, thanks for your question. I shall have a look at it and try
> an answer next days.
>
> BTW as more things are at stake as python-mode.el, what would you think
> about an archiv
> emacs-python, where all the stuff to edit python-code with emacs is
> collected?
To be honest, my feeling is that the last thing anyone needs is yet
another python place. The wiki is already a mess of questions and
answers and mode specific difficulties. Tie that in with emacs 23/22 and
ipython or not, the numerous ways you can do python completion etc, it
needs to be simplified not extended.

Thanks for the heads up about pydb btw, nice.

> For me Launchpad seems perfect for such a thing with its email- and
> bug-report-integration.
>
> There we could discuss the probably best emacs-python configuration -
> which will change,
> if someone brings up new things.

I think the emacs wiki is best for this stuff purely because its "there"
and there are numerous utilities to integrate emacs with emacs wiki
pages. Just keep links to relevant pages.

You might be right : point the wiki to launchpad and remove all the out
of date stuff. What do others think?

> Andreas
>

>>> --
>>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode.el/files
>>> https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Re: [Fwd: Re: python setup ?]

Barry Warsaw
On Apr 27, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> as some questions about Emacs and python are raised, I forward that
> here.
>
> Tend to delete all files beside python-mode.el from my branch.
>
> Good idea? Agreed?

I generally leave the other files there, but only use python-mode.el.

-Barry

PGP.sig (313 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Fwd: Re: python setup ?]

Andreas Röhler
Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> as some questions about Emacs and python are raised, I forward that
>> here.
>>
>> Tend to delete all files beside python-mode.el from my branch.
>>
>> Good idea? Agreed?
>
> I generally leave the other files there, but only use python-mode.el.
>
> -Barry

The point is, I don't really understand until now, if I should branch
these files into my repo or not.

Sure, you should keep it. Or better to say:  we should keep a general
repo for python-tools written so far.
OTOH, while developing certain files, we must not clone the whole repo.
Or must we
because of zar bazaars will?

Cheers

Andreas

Re: [Fwd: Re: python setup ?]

Barry Warsaw
On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>>
>>> as some questions about Emacs and python are raised, I forward that
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Tend to delete all files beside python-mode.el from my branch.
>>>
>>> Good idea? Agreed?
>>
>> I generally leave the other files there, but only use python-mode.el.
>>
>> -Barry
>>

> The point is, I don't really understand until now, if I should branch
> these files into my repo or not.
>
> Sure, you should keep it. Or better to say:  we should keep a general
> repo for python-tools written so far.
> OTOH, while developing certain files, we must not clone the whole
> repo.
> Or must we
> because of zar bazaars will?
If you 'bzr branch lp:python-mode' you'll get all the files.  I always
just leave them there when I work on branches of the code.  There's
really no reason to delete them.