Fwd: Recieved following error at 15:11 EST, 7/8/2011 on pypi.python.org/pypi/

Fwd: Recieved following error at 15:11 EST, 7/8/2011 on pypi.python.org/pypi/

Michael Foord-3
Would it be possible to configure pypi to not recommend contacting [hidden email] on server error, but contact the pypi admins instead?

All the best,

Michael Foord

Re: Fwd: Recieved following error at 15:11 EST, 7/8/2011 on pypi.python.org/pypi/

Richard Jones-32
Sorry for the silence.

Currently there's no pypi admins alias, though I think it'd probably be nice to have rather than to have three email addresses hard-coded into the application like we have at the moment :-)

On the other hand, in terms of this error page - is it possible to customise it to forward the user to the support tracker (ie. the one in the pypi sidebar) rather than email?

     Richard

On 15 July 2011 07:41, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry for the silence.

Currently there's no pypi admins alias, though I think it'd probably be nice to have rather than to have three email addresses hard-coded into the application like we have at the moment :-)

On the other hand, in terms of this error page - is it possible to customise it to forward the user to the support tracker (ie. the one in the pypi sidebar) rather than email?

The particular error page is just the standard error 500 page served by Apache - and it is possible to configure Apache to serve a custom one for the pypi subdomain. Not that I know *specifically how* to do that, but I know it is possible. :-)

A pypi admin address, that just forwards to this list (?) sounds like a very good idea (as well).

All the best,

Michael

     Richard

On 9 July 2011 05:22, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would it be possible to configure pypi to not recommend contacting [hidden email] on server error, but contact the pypi admins instead?

All the best,

Michael Foord

Please contact the server administrator, [hidden email] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at pypi.python.org Port 80

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil

On 15 July 2011 21:07, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
The particular error page is just the standard error 500 page served by Apache - and it is possible to configure Apache to serve a custom one for the pypi subdomain. Not that I know *specifically how* to do that, but I know it is possible. :-)

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at :-)

Really, the hard part (because I have no control over it) is setting up the alias.

A pypi admin address, that just forwards to this list (?) sounds like a very good idea (as well).

I'm not sure this list really wants to be caught up in the administrivia of running pypi :-)

     Richard

Re: Fwd: Recieved following error at 15:11 EST, 7/8/2011 on pypi.python.org/pypi/

Fuzzyman-2

On 15 July 2011 12:27, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15 July 2011 21:07, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
The particular error page is just the standard error 500 page served by Apache - and it is possible to configure Apache to serve a custom one for the pypi subdomain. Not that I know *specifically how* to do that, but I know it is possible. :-)

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at :-)

Really, the hard part (because I have no control over it) is setting up the alias.

You could ask on pydotorg-www, there are a few admins on there.

A pypi admin address, that just forwards to this list (?) sounds like a very good idea (as well).

I'm not sure this list really wants to be caught up in the administrivia of running pypi :-)

Isn't it already?

Another need we have at [hidden email] is somewhere to redirect reports of pypi problems. We often get direct email reports of issues. An email alias I could just send forward those emails to would be very handy. Currently I'm using this list (or telling people to report stuff on the tracker - which is a bit unfriendly for someone who has already taken the time to report an issue).

All the best,

Michael

     Richard

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil

Re: Fwd: Recieved following error at 15:11 EST, 7/8/2011 on pypi.python.org/pypi/

M.-A. Lemburg
Richard Jones wrote:

> On 15 July 2011 21:07, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The particular error page is just the standard error 500 page served by
>> Apache - and it is possible to configure Apache to serve a custom one for
>> the pypi subdomain. Not that I know *specifically how* to do that, but I
>> know it is possible. :-)
>>

> Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at :-)
>
> Really, the hard part (because I have no control over it) is setting up the
> alias.

You just need to contact [hidden email]. They can set it up for you.

>> A pypi admin address, that just forwards to this list (?) sounds like a
>> very good idea (as well).
>>

> I'm not sure this list really wants to be caught up in the administrivia of
> running pypi :-)
>

>      Richard

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 15 2011)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...        http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...             http://zope.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...        http://python.egenix.com/

   eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

On 15 July 2011 21:33, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 July 2011 12:27, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 15 July 2011 21:07, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The particular error page is just the standard error 500 page served by
>>> Apache - and it is possible to configure Apache to serve a custom one for
>>> the pypi subdomain. Not that I know *specifically how* to do that, but I
>>> know it is possible. :-)
>>
>> Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at :-)
>> Really, the hard part (because I have no control over it) is setting up
>> the alias.
>
> You could ask on pydotorg-www, there are a few admins on there.

Indeed that was my next step, but I've been too busy playing Just
Cause 2 and trying to download Kirbal Space Program to get around to
it :-)

     Richard