Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Tennessee Leeuwenburg-3
Forwarded from Sydneypython in case anyone here is interested in a sea change...

Cheers,
-T

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Benno Rice

On 04/04/2011, at 9:29 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> Forwarded from Sydneypython in case anyone here is interested in a sea change...

I would personally advise not getting involved.  I was in a business run by Robert Yearsley before and I would never, never go near him again.

--
Benno Rice

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Benno Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04/04/2011, at 9:29 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> Forwarded from Sydneypython in case anyone here is interested in a sea change...

I would personally advise not getting involved.  I was in a business run by Robert Yearsley before and I would never, never go near him again.

Thanks for the note Benno! I'm not personally involved, I just happen to subscribe to sydneypython and forward on messages when I think they might have some local interest.

Regards,
-Tennessee

On 04/04/2011, at 9:41 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Benno Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 04/04/2011, at 9:29 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
>
> > Forwarded from Sydneypython in case anyone here is interested in a sea change...
>
> I would personally advise not getting involved.  I was in a business run by Robert Yearsley before and I would never, never go near him again.
>

> Thanks for the note Benno! I'm not personally involved, I just happen to subscribe to sydneypython and forward on messages when I think they might have some local interest.

That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)

--
Benno Rice

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Richard Jones-7

What Benno said.

  Richard

Sent from my phone - please excuse brevity.

On Apr 4, 2011 9:38 AM, "Benno Rice" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011, at 9:29 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
>
>> Forwarded from Sydneypython in case anyone here is interested in a sea change...
>
> I would personally advise not getting involved. I was in a business run by Robert Yearsley before and I would never, never go near him again.
>
> --
> Benno Rice

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Anthony Briggs-3
On 4 April 2011 09:48, Benno Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would personally advise not getting involved.  I was in a business run by Robert Yearsley before and I would never, never go near him again.
>>
>> Thanks for the note Benno! I'm not personally involved, I just happen to subscribe to sydneypython and forward on messages when I think they might have some local interest.
>
> That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)

I was wondering about the Full Metal Jacket image on their employment page.

That, and that they have a CEO and COO, but no technical people.

Anthony

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Pomke Nohkan
Hiya Anthony,

It's a scene that portrays the rampant homophobia and abuse in the military at that time in the US. I think the take home message about it being on their careers page is that in the best case scenario, they (grokvod) have no grasp of diversity issues at all.  Worst case it is a deliberate, not-so-subtle message to perspective employees that anyone other than 'straight white males' need not apply.

- Pomke

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 April 2011 09:48, Benno Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would personally advise not getting involved.  I was in a business run by Robert Yearsley before and I would never, never go near him again.
>>
>> Thanks for the note Benno! I'm not personally involved, I just happen to subscribe to sydneypython and forward on messages when I think they might have some local interest.
>
> That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)

I was wondering about the Full Metal Jacket image on their employment page.

That, and that they have a CEO and COO, but no technical people.

Anthony

     _.--.
    .'   ` '   Pomke Nohkan
     ``'.  .'     .c-..  Spotted Skunk
        `.  ``````  .-'  [hidden email], http://pomke.com
       -'`. )--. .'`   [hidden email]http://luskwood.org
       `-`._   \_`--   ==============================

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Anthony Briggs-3
I don't know about the diversity aspect - after all, the USMC is
fairly famously non-discriminatory, at least these days.

What it does suggest to me though is that the culture that they're
expecting is more "do what you're told, give your all to the company"
than the collaborative environment that most people would expect,
particularly given their preference for hiring "A" players.

Anthony

On 4 April 2011 13:36, Pomke Nohkan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hiya Anthony,
> It's a scene that portrays the rampant homophobia and abuse in the military
> at that time in the US. I think the take home message about it being on
> their careers page is that in the best case scenario, they (grokvod) have no
> grasp of diversity issues at all.  Worst case it is a deliberate,
> not-so-subtle message to perspective employees that anyone other than
> 'straight white males' need not apply.
> - Pomke
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)
>>
>> I was wondering about the Full Metal Jacket image on their employment
>> page.
>>
>> That, and that they have a CEO and COO, but no technical people.
>>
>> Anthony

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Kevin Littlejohn
Suspect too much is being read into a single picture, but yes, my response was "well, they think that sort of top-down approach either has something going for it or is humorous/has something to do with how to find the right people - not my sort of place, really".

What I found more interesting though is that's the second advert in the last few months I've seen that's offered equity as part of the package for senior devs.  Is this starting to come back into fashion?  Used to be all the rage before the bubble burst - are we far enough along that people have forgotten and are liking equity deals again?  Or have I just not noticed it happening all along?

KevinL
(not looking for a job, btw ;)

On 4 April 2011 14:52, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know about the diversity aspect - after all, the USMC is
fairly famously non-discriminatory, at least these days.

What it does suggest to me though is that the culture that they're
expecting is more "do what you're told, give your all to the company"
than the collaborative environment that most people would expect,
particularly given their preference for hiring "A" players.

Anthony

On 4 April 2011 13:36, Pomke Nohkan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hiya Anthony,
> It's a scene that portrays the rampant homophobia and abuse in the military
> at that time in the US. I think the take home message about it being on
> their careers page is that in the best case scenario, they (grokvod) have no
> grasp of diversity issues at all.  Worst case it is a deliberate,
> not-so-subtle message to perspective employees that anyone other than
> 'straight white males' need not apply.
> - Pomke
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)
>>
>> I was wondering about the Full Metal Jacket image on their employment
>> page.
>>
>> That, and that they have a CEO and COO, but no technical people.
>>
>> Anthony

Kevin Littlejohn
Obsidian Consulting Group
ph: +613 9355 7844
skype: silarsis

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Josh Bode
Then again, maybe they're just massive Kubrick fans and there is no significance - all the header images are from Kubrick films:

  about: 2001
  products: The Shining
  blog: The Shining
  partners: 2001
  employment: Full Metal Jacket
  work culture: Spartacus

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know about the diversity aspect - after all, the USMC is
fairly famously non-discriminatory, at least these days.

What it does suggest to me though is that the culture that they're
expecting is more "do what you're told, give your all to the company"
than the collaborative environment that most people would expect,
particularly given their preference for hiring "A" players.

Anthony

On 4 April 2011 13:36, Pomke Nohkan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hiya Anthony,
> It's a scene that portrays the rampant homophobia and abuse in the military
> at that time in the US. I think the take home message about it being on
> their careers page is that in the best case scenario, they (grokvod) have no
> grasp of diversity issues at all.  Worst case it is a deliberate,
> not-so-subtle message to perspective employees that anyone other than
> 'straight white males' need not apply.
> - Pomke
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)
>>
>> I was wondering about the Full Metal Jacket image on their employment
>> page.
>>
>> That, and that they have a CEO and COO, but no technical people.
>>
>> Anthony

Re: Fwd: Senior Python Developer, Sydney to Silicon Valley

Rory Hart-3
Equity as part of your package in early stage startups isn't unusual. It is a double edge sword for both sides but it can work out well.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Kevin Littlejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Suspect too much is being read into a single picture, but yes, my response was "well, they think that sort of top-down approach either has something going for it or is humorous/has something to do with how to find the right people - not my sort of place, really".

What I found more interesting though is that's the second advert in the last few months I've seen that's offered equity as part of the package for senior devs.  Is this starting to come back into fashion?  Used to be all the rage before the bubble burst - are we far enough along that people have forgotten and are liking equity deals again?  Or have I just not noticed it happening all along?

KevinL
(not looking for a job, btw ;)

On 4 April 2011 14:52, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know about the diversity aspect - after all, the USMC is
fairly famously non-discriminatory, at least these days.

What it does suggest to me though is that the culture that they're
expecting is more "do what you're told, give your all to the company"
than the collaborative environment that most people would expect,
particularly given their preference for hiring "A" players.

Anthony

On 4 April 2011 13:36, Pomke Nohkan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hiya Anthony,
> It's a scene that portrays the rampant homophobia and abuse in the military
> at that time in the US. I think the take home message about it being on
> their careers page is that in the best case scenario, they (grokvod) have no
> grasp of diversity issues at all.  Worst case it is a deliberate,
> not-so-subtle message to perspective employees that anyone other than
> 'straight white males' need not apply.
> - Pomke
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > That's cool, I just want people to avoid the experience I had. =)
>>
>> I was wondering about the Full Metal Jacket image on their employment
>> page.
>>
>> That, and that they have a CEO and COO, but no technical people.
>>
>> Anthony

Kevin Littlejohn
Obsidian Consulting Group
ph: <a href="tel:%2B613%209355%207844" target="_blank">+613 9355 7844
skype: silarsis