GSoC 2020

Sanskar Jaiswal
Hey everyone,

I didn’t get selected for GSoC, but I would like to sincerely thank this community for guiding me and helping me get involved in open source. Especially, Simon and Carlton for solving my doubts about the ORM.

I hope to improve myself and will definitely try again next year. I still aim to work on refactoring ORM to work with ModelState.

Thanks
Sanskar

Re: GSoC 2020

Abhijeet Viswa
Hi guys,

I'd like to say the same. It was a wonderful opportunity. Thanks everyone.

Regards.

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 23:41, Sanskar Jaiswal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I didn’t get selected for GSoC, but I would like to sincerely thank this community for guiding me and helping me get involved in open source. Especially, Simon and Carlton for solving my doubts about the ORM.

I hope to improve myself and will definitely try again next year. I still aim to work on refactoring ORM to work with ModelState.

Thanks
Sanskar

Abhijeet

Re: GSoC 2020

Carlton Gibson-3
Yes, absolutely. Thank you both. We do hope you'll continue to be part of the community!

Kind Regards,

Carlton

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 19:14, Abhijeet Viswa <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="FFSseCBYBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">abhije...@...> wrote:

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 23:41, Sanskar Jaiswal <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="FFSseCBYBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jaiswal....@...> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I didn’t get selected for GSoC, but I would like to sincerely thank this community for guiding me and helping me get involved in open source. Especially, Simon and Carlton for solving my doubts about the ORM.

I hope to improve myself and will definitely try again next year. I still aim to work on refactoring ORM to work with ModelState.

Thanks
Sanskar

Abhijeet

Adam

Re: GSoC 2020

Abhirav Dilip Kariya
Hi,

Thank you community for the guidance while I was writing my proposal.

I understand that the number of slots granted for gsoc are limited. However, if the community liked my proposal, I would like to work on it. I also understand that it is difficult to provide mentors and I can write a patch and submit and see if it gets merged. At the same time, I think working with someone and following a plan suits me best.

Please let me know if the community sees credit in my proposal and is willing to guide me.

Here’s my proposal for secrets manager:

Thanks and regards,
Abhirav Dilip Kariya

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:28 AM Carlton Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(919) 771-3012
Secondary Email: [hidden email]

Re: GSoC 2020

Carlton Gibson-3
Hi Abhirav.

I think this is an interesting project. It would be nice if we had a story for handling sensitive values that went (in principle) from "use environment variables" (or a file) to the various Vault-like options. The trick is making that compelling as a feature for Django, but such a thing could begin as a separate package.

I was casually keeping a list of projects in the "environment variable" space, pasted below. If you want to take a look at those, rob the best ideas, and think about the simplest API for that (beyond bootstrapping, in the settings it's just `get()` I guess...) I'm very happy to discuss it with you in the forum.

I think a good first goal would be a write up (blog post?) on the state of play.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Options for keeping secrets in the environment.

https://github.com/theskumar/python-dotenv

Jeff likes Direnv
https://direnv.net
vs
https://github.com/jezdez/envdir
https://github.com/alecthomas/ondir

https://github.com/sloria/environs
https://github.com/joke2k/django-environ

Hayek's one.
https://github.com/hynek/environ-config

LinconLoop's one.
https://github.com/lincolnloop/easyconf
https://github.com/lincolnloop/goodconf

Keep it in the repo?
https://git-secret.io
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/user_guide/vault.html
https://oteemo.com/2019/06/20/hashicorp-vault-is-overhyped-and-mozilla-sops-with-kms-and-git-is-massively-underrated/

Re: GSoC 2020

Abhirav Dilip Kariya
Hi Carlton,

I will start working on this. I’ll create a new thread for further correspondence.

Thanks and regards,
Abhirav Dilip Kariya