Google Summer of Code 2018

perfectformiskey
Hi all

I am starting to learn how to contribute to django and would like to ask if django is participating in GSoc 2018. I wish to spend my summer contributing to django.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Tim Graham-2
The Django Software Foundation has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2018 mentor organization. If you're interested in mentoring, being a student, or if you have a project idea (even if you aren't a student), you can use this thread for discussion. Please read the wiki page before posting: https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2018

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 10:34:25 AM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi all

I am starting to learn how to contribute to django and would like to ask if django is participating in GSoc 2018. I wish to spend my summer contributing to django.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

askpriyansh
Hello !

What is the policy regarding NoSQL datastores being used as backends ? I think adding support for something like MongoDB might be good idea.

Regards
Priyansh

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Curtis Maloney-2
On 02/13/2018 09:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello !
>
> What is the policy regarding NoSQL datastores being used as backends ? I think adding support for something like MongoDB might be good idea.

Could you elaborate on why you think it would be a good idea?

I believe every other time the discussion has come up the following
points have been made.

1. "NoSQL" is not a DB category, it is an anti-category
2. Because of there there is no common data model, or query languages.
3. If you limit yourself to just document stores, there is still no
common query language [but this can be hidden by code]
4. Document stores are a really really bad fit for the ORM, as it's
designed for the relational model, not document model.
5. A better approach would be to develop an ODM, which is sufficiently
compatible with the ORM you can provide similar tools like ModelForms
and ModelAdmin, as well as GCBV.

If I missed anything, I'm sure someone else will remind me.

[Also... why is it always MongoDB, instead of something with a solid
reputation of reliability and performance?]

--
Curtis

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

askpriyansh
Hello !

I thought it would be a good idea as it extends the functionality for developers who want to use NoSQL datastores (and possibly, distributed datastores like Hive and HBase).

Would an ODM be a useful feature for Django ? Is there some work in progress that aims to develop an ODM ?

Regards
Priyansh

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Russell Keith-Magee-4

Another approach would be to do what I laid out in this talk at DjangoCon US 2015, following the last Summer of Code student who tackled (tangentially) this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgM0qmpHDiE

That is - finish the modifications needed to Django’s core such that an arbitrary model can register in a way compatible with the Admin and Forms library. This was one of the reasons given for standardising the meta-model framework, but didn’t make it into Daniel’s GSoC project, although he *did* get a proof of concept working that exposed your Gmail inbox in Django’s admin.

This would allow *any* data backend to expose an interface that is fundamentally compatible with Django - which, really, just means “I want to browse my data in the admin” and “I want to display a form for my model”.

It won’t allow an arbitrary ORM query to run against an arbitrary “NoSQL” backend - but that’s idea was never going to work anyway. But I don’t think anyone is serious about wanting that, either. All they want is the ability to integrate a non-SQL data source into their basic Django visualisations.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

> On 13 Feb 2018, at 6:48 pm, Curtis Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hello !
>> What is the policy regarding NoSQL datastores being used as backends ? I think adding support for something like MongoDB might be good idea.
>
> Could you elaborate on why you think it would be a good idea?
>
> I believe every other time the discussion has come up the following points have been made.
>
> 1. "NoSQL" is not a DB category, it is an anti-category
> 2. Because of there there is no common data model, or query languages.
> 3. If you limit yourself to just document stores, there is still no common query language [but this can be hidden by code]
> 4. Document stores are a really really bad fit for the ORM, as it's designed for the relational model, not document model.
> 5. A better approach would be to develop an ODM, which is sufficiently compatible with the ORM you can provide similar tools like ModelForms and ModelAdmin, as well as GCBV.
>
> If I missed anything, I'm sure someone else will remind me.
>
> [Also... why is it always MongoDB, instead of something with a solid reputation of reliability and performance?]
>
> --
> Curtis

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

askpriyansh
Hello !

That sounds wonderful. I have got some experience with Cassandra and HBase. If that seems to be a good candidate for a GSoC project, I'll start drafting a proposal. Thanks for the advice !

Regards
Priyansh

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 3:15:56 AM UTC+5:30, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:

Another approach would be to do what I laid out in this talk at DjangoCon US 2015, following the last Summer of Code student who tackled (tangentially) this problem.

That is - finish the modifications needed to Django’s core such that an arbitrary model can register in a way compatible with the Admin and Forms library. This was one of the reasons given for standardising the meta-model framework, but didn’t make it into Daniel’s GSoC project, although he *did* get a proof of concept working that exposed your Gmail inbox in Django’s admin.

This would allow *any* data backend to expose an interface that is fundamentally compatible with Django - which, really, just means “I want to browse my data in the admin” and “I want to display a form for my model”.

It won’t allow an arbitrary ORM query to run against an arbitrary “NoSQL” backend - but that’s idea was never going to work anyway. But I don’t think anyone is serious about wanting that, either. All they want is the ability to integrate a non-SQL data source into their basic Django visualisations.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

> On 13 Feb 2018, at 6:48 pm, Curtis Maloney <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="LZAhhQw1BwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">cur...@...> wrote:
>
> On 02/13/2018 09:23 PM, <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="LZAhhQw1BwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">askpr...@... wrote:
>> Hello !
>> What is the policy regarding NoSQL datastores being used as backends ? I think adding support for something like MongoDB might be good idea.
>
> Could you elaborate on why you think it would be a good idea?
>
> I believe every other time the discussion has come up the following points have been made.
>
> 1. "NoSQL" is not a DB category, it is an anti-category
> 2. Because of there there is no common data model, or query languages.
> 3. If you limit yourself to just document stores, there is still no common query language [but this can be hidden by code]
> 4. Document stores are a really really bad fit for the ORM, as it's designed for the relational model, not document model.
> 5. A better approach would be to develop an ODM, which is sufficiently compatible with the ORM you can provide similar tools like ModelForms and ModelAdmin, as well as GCBV.
>
> If I missed anything, I'm sure someone else will remind me.
>
> [Also... why is it always MongoDB, instead of something with a solid reputation of reliability and performance?]
>
> --
> Curtis

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

askpriyansh
Hello !

I have drafted a project-proposal for the idea that Russell laid out in his talk at DjangoCon '15. Here's the link to the draft:

https://gist.github.com/priyanshsaxena/4670cae3d03a7b77a16388601c018460

Looking forward to your suggestions on how best to improve this for a concrete GSoC '18 project-proposal.