Handling multiple timezones in Django Admin

Handling multiple timezones in Django Admin

Paul Tiplady
Timezone handling in the Django admin is quite confusing when there are users in multiple timezones -- does anyone have a good way of handling this?

I'm using USE_TZ=True, TIME_ZONE='UTC', USE_I18N, USE_L10N. I have admin users in US/Pacific and US/Eastern.

When viewing a datetime field, users see the UTC time, with a note below saying "Note: You are 7 hours behind server time". This is better than nothing, but still quite sub-par for a 201x-era web UI. We really should be localizing the timezones in the browser to the user's own time zone, and submitting back to the app using TZ-aware timestamp strings. (It's possible to pull the TZ unambiguously from a modern browser: https://stackoverflow.com/a/37512371/37481).

Any suggestions for getting round this? I'm wondering if there's a good tz-aware datetime widget for the admin? Or perhaps a clean way of storing a User.time_zone config property that could be used to localize the admin cleanly.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Handling multiple timezones in Django Admin

Ramiro Morales-2
Paul,

You seem to have a good grasp of the usability problem you describe and a sound strategy to solve it. You've even researched how modern web browser can help in improving this admin app feature.

I'm sure the project would accept a pull request implementing the changes you outline. Or if not, it would be a catalyst to get a solution for it into the code base sooner than later.

Feel free to try your hand.

Regards,