Hey

bbeecher
HI all - I've just joined the list. I'd like to contribute, although I don't have alot of experience with open source projects. How can I best help out? I'll pull the latest off of launchpad of course, but what would do the most good? Feature requests? Feature implantations? Bug Triage?

Looking forward to helping out.

Re: Hey

Barry Warsaw
On Mar 13, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Ben Beecher wrote:

>HI all - I've just joined the list. I'd like to contribute, although I don't
>have alot of experience with open source projects. How can I best help out?
>I'll pull the latest off of launchpad of course, but what would do the most
>good? Feature requests? Feature implantations? Bug Triage?
>
>Looking forward to helping out.

Welcome aboard Ben!

Bug triage would certain be very welcome.  We currently have 69 open bugs on
the tracker, and they could use more love.  Another interesting thing would be
to review the standard python.el and see what tricks we can steal from them.
Hey, we're all GPL here, right? :)  If you have XEmacs, you might also look at
compatibility issues between the two editors.

-Barry

m h

Re: Hey

m h
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Ben Beecher wrote:
>
>>HI all - I've just joined the list. I'd like to contribute, although I don't
>>have alot of experience with open source projects. How can I best help out?
>>I'll pull the latest off of launchpad of course, but what would do the most
>>good? Feature requests? Feature implantations? Bug Triage?
>>
>>Looking forward to helping out.
>
> Welcome aboard Ben!
>
> Bug triage would certain be very welcome.  We currently have 69 open bugs on
> the tracker, and they could use more love.  Another interesting thing would be
> to review the standard python.el and see what tricks we can steal from them.
> Hey, we're all GPL here, right? :)

On this note, it might be nice to create a wiki page (python.el vs
python-mode.el) elaborating the different features found in each....

-matt

Re: Hey

Barry Warsaw
On Mar 16, 2010, at 09:39 AM, m h wrote:

>On this note, it might be nice to create a wiki page (python.el vs
>python-mode.el) elaborating the different features found in each....

Like this one:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode

Could use lots of clean up though.
-Barry

m h

Re: Hey

m h
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 09:39 AM, m h wrote:
>
>>On this note, it might be nice to create a wiki page (python.el vs
>>python-mode.el) elaborating the different features found in each....
>
> Like this one:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode
>
> Could use lots of clean up though.

Well, that one could use some work too.  My thought was to have a page
that just lists a table with rows for features and 2 columns,
python.el and python-mode.el.  Then below perhaps some discussion
about why one would use one versus the other.  When new people come to
the python/emacs world it is confusing (to say the least that there
are two modes), and there isn't anywhere that explains the features of
both.

The page you point isn't really python "mode" specific anymore.  It is
more of using Python and emacs together for various features (some of
which are in python(-mode).el, and some aren't).

-matt

Re: Hey

Barry Warsaw
On Mar 16, 2010, at 04:19 PM, m h wrote:

>Well, that one could use some work too.  My thought was to have a page
>that just lists a table with rows for features and 2 columns,
>python.el and python-mode.el.  Then below perhaps some discussion
>about why one would use one versus the other.  When new people come to
>the python/emacs world it is confusing (to say the least that there
>are two modes), and there isn't anywhere that explains the features of
>both.
>
>The page you point isn't really python "mode" specific anymore.  It is
>more of using Python and emacs together for various features (some of
>which are in python(-mode).el, and some aren't).
I guess the question is, if the page you describe (which I agree would be good
to have) is not on the EmacsWiki, where would it be?  Isn't that likely to be
the first place people would search for such a page?

-Barry

m h

Re: Hey

m h
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 04:19 PM, m h wrote:
>
>>Well, that one could use some work too.  My thought was to have a page
>>that just lists a table with rows for features and 2 columns,
>>python.el and python-mode.el.  Then below perhaps some discussion
>>about why one would use one versus the other.  When new people come to
>>the python/emacs world it is confusing (to say the least that there
>>are two modes), and there isn't anywhere that explains the features of
>>both.
>>
>>The page you point isn't really python "mode" specific anymore.  It is
>>more of using Python and emacs together for various features (some of
>>which are in python(-mode).el, and some aren't).
>
> I guess the question is, if the page you describe (which I agree would be good
> to have) is not on the EmacsWiki, where would it be?  Isn't that likely to be
> the first place people would search for such a page?

I think you are right.  The topic of that page is "using emacs with
Python development".  A subset of which is a Python mode to choose.  I
guess I would prefer a "Python with Emacs" that contains a much
cleaned up version of the current "python-mode" page, and a "python.el
vs python-mode.el" page as I have described....

-matt

Re: Hey

Deniz Dogan-3
2010/3/16 Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]>:

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 09:39 AM, m h wrote:
>
>>On this note, it might be nice to create a wiki page (python.el vs
>>python-mode.el) elaborating the different features found in each....
>
> Like this one:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode
>
> Could use lots of clean up though.
> -Barry

I think the main problem about that wiki entry is that it's on
EmacsWiki. Most EmacsWiki entries look just like that, everything ends
up a discussion board and/or bunch of recipes for unrelated features.

--
Deniz Dogan

Re: Hey

Andreas Röhler-2
Deniz Dogan wrote:

> 2010/3/16 Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]>:
>> On Mar 16, 2010, at 09:39 AM, m h wrote:
>>
>>> On this note, it might be nice to create a wiki page (python.el vs
>>> python-mode.el) elaborating the different features found in each....
>> Like this one:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode
>>
>> Could use lots of clean up though.
>> -Barry
>>

> I think the main problem about that wiki entry is that it's on
> EmacsWiki. Most EmacsWiki entries look just like that, everything ends
> up a discussion board and/or bunch of recipes for unrelated features.

Isn't that a feature rather characteristic of all wikis?

EmacsWiki does very well in relation, provides a lot of useful stuff IMO.
Download facility is excellent.

Andreas

Re: Hey

Deniz Dogan-3
2010/3/17 Andreas Roehler <[hidden email]>:

> Deniz Dogan wrote:

>>> Like this one:
>>>
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode
>>>
>>> Could use lots of clean up though.
>>> -Barry
>>>

>> I think the main problem about that wiki entry is that it's on
>> EmacsWiki. Most EmacsWiki entries look just like that, everything ends
>> up a discussion board and/or bunch of recipes for unrelated features.
>>

> Isn't that a feature rather characteristic of all wikis?
>
> EmacsWiki does very well in relation, provides a lot of useful stuff IMO.
> Download facility is excellent.

EmacsWiki _is_ useful, I use it all the time. I'm just saying there
are huge problems with mixing discussion and actual information on one
page, especially as there is absolutely no visual indication about
what's what. In relation to what do you think that EmacsWiki does very
well?

--
Deniz Dogan

Re: Hey

Richard Riley-6
Deniz Dogan <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2010/3/17 Andreas Roehler <[hidden email]>:

>>> I think the main problem about that wiki entry is that it's on
>>> EmacsWiki. Most EmacsWiki entries look just like that, everything ends
>>> up a discussion board and/or bunch of recipes for unrelated features.
>>>

>> Isn't that a feature rather characteristic of all wikis?
>>
>> EmacsWiki does very well in relation, provides a lot of useful stuff IMO.
>> Download facility is excellent.
>>

> EmacsWiki _is_ useful, I use it all the time. I'm just saying there
> are huge problems with mixing discussion and actual information on one
> page, especially as there is absolutely no visual indication about
> what's what. In relation to what do you think that EmacsWiki does very
> well?

The Wiki is very useful. It is also a mess in many places. The nature of
the beast is that people tend to append rather than correct and
restructure. Many people, myself included, put up what works for them
but do not have the depth of knowledge or the confidence to remove
other, possibly out of date or plain incorrect, information. So yes, I
agree with you ;)

Re: Hey

Andreas Röhler-2
Deniz Dogan wrote:

> 2010/3/17 Andreas Roehler <[hidden email]>:

>>> I think the main problem about that wiki entry is that it's on
>>> EmacsWiki. Most EmacsWiki entries look just like that, everything ends
>>> up a discussion board and/or bunch of recipes for unrelated features.
>>>
>> Isn't that a feature rather characteristic of all wikis?
>>
>> EmacsWiki does very well in relation, provides a lot of useful stuff IMO.
>> Download facility is excellent.
>>

> EmacsWiki _is_ useful, I use it all the time. I'm just saying there
> are huge problems with mixing discussion and actual information on one
> page, especially as there is absolutely no visual indication about
> what's what. In relation to what do you think that EmacsWiki does very
> well?

In relation to other wikis I've seen: dead links, unrelated, outdated stuff, sometimes even smear and slander.

Seems thats normal, wikis are a kind of marketplaces: rather loud, with dirty corners.
However, if you got your vegetables, it's done, it's great.
So I'm rather in favour of EmacsWiki, inclusive it's clowns corner. :-)

Andreas

Re: Hey

Barry Warsaw
On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:

> Seems thats normal, wikis are a kind of marketplaces: rather loud, with dirty corners.
> However, if you got your vegetables, it's done, it's great.
> So I'm rather in favour of EmacsWiki, inclusive it's clowns corner. :-)

The fundamental nature of wikis is that they always need gardening.

I still don't know of any place better to put this information.
-Barry

Re: Hey

Andreas Röhler-2
Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:
>
>> Seems thats normal, wikis are a kind of marketplaces: rather loud, with dirty corners.
>> However, if you got your vegetables, it's done, it's great.
>> So I'm rather in favour of EmacsWiki, inclusive it's clowns corner. :-)
>
> The fundamental nature of wikis is that they always need gardening.
>
> I still don't know of any place better to put this information.
> -Barry

Nor do I.

BTW as far as it concerns emacs lisp snippets I store stuff at

http://repo.or.cz/w/elbb.git

It allows playing with git too, which is a great DVC indeed,

it's open for all emacs folks.

Andreas