How can I know each computer from another with CP and TG?

How can I know each computer from another with CP and TG?

Jorge Vargas

First of all sorry for the double post, I'm not sure if there is some
CP only functionality that could help me on this.

OK let me explain to what I want to do.

I'm writting a small app for myself, basically because my mid-term
memory is really bad and I keep forgetting to do stuff, bring
stuff,etc.

I think of it as kind of a "multiplayer post-it"

The idea comes in 2 flavors
- Me sending notes to myself
- Other people sending note to me.
and of course this applies to all users in the system.

The main feature I want for it is to send notes in this form

"From me@work to me@home remenber to bring the DVD John has been asking for"
and of course
"From John to me@home Dude for the last time give me my DVD back! "

one feature I'll like to add in the future (if possible) is messages like
"from me@laptop@linux to me@laptop@windows test <link> this nice
program too bad it only runs on windows"

by the way the @ is probably a feature for later, I have 2 textboxes,
which will probably the nice autocomplete widget with the users in
"your group"

in order to do this I need to identify and track every computer that
each user has (I'll probably add a hide computers),

I really don't want to use a cookie they are evil

I though about the userAgent but this may be the same for 2 computers
the same user has specially if they are something like firefox on any
binary distro where they will probably the the same. (with the
autoupdates and package managers)

and I reallly don't want to log IP address or anything like that.

So I'm kind of stuck on which will be the best way to implement this
"Computer Entity" I hope that any of your which know more CP can give
me a way to use/store this.

Just one more thing I started this yesterday and it's still a bit
fussy but my idea with it is simple, send plain messages between small
groups of people, it's no Web2.0, killer app , wannabe takeover the
world, in fact I plan to keep it very simple, A send a message to B, B
reads it new messages or all it's messages, and can delete any
message. that's my goal for 0.1 if you want to put it that way, maybe
I'll find more interesting stuff to add later, Like read email
notifications, non-web client, who knows

Ok I lie it was 2 things
Ones i have this 0.1 I'll set up a public svn/trac/demo and release it
as OSS so people can incorporate any weird things they may find
interesting. and since I sux at writting CSS and javascript maybe
someone will come over and give it a nice interface.

thanks in advance
Jorge

Re: How can I know each computer from another with CP and TG?

Tim Roberts

Jorge Vargas wrote:

>I really don't want to use a cookie they are evil

Horse puckey.  That's just conspiracy-theory nonsense.  There is nothing
inherently wrong with the cookie concept, and there is a large class of
problems for which cookies make the solution much cleaner.

--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.