Quantcast

How do you install PIL?

Barry Barnett
Hi. I'm trying to install pyTivo on my Mac and it says it needs the PIL for publish photos on my TIvo. Which version do I download and how do I install it? I'm running a Macbook Pro with Intel core i7 processor. Thanks.

Re: How do you install PIL?

Russell Owen
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Barry Barnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to install pyTivo on my Mac and it says it needs the PIL for
> publish photos on my TIvo. Which version do I download and how do I install
> it? I'm running a Macbook Pro with Intel core i7 processor. Thanks.

There is a binary installer fpr PIL available here:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/>
but it is only compatible with python.org's 32-bit Python 2.7 (the one
that is backward compatible back to Mac OS X 10.3, not the one that is
10.6-or-later).

Other options:
- Build it from source (not a lot of fun, but quite doable)
- Use python from some other source, such as fink, MacPorts or
Enthought. I suspect most or all of those have a PIL available, but
check first!

-- Russell