Quantcast

How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

david creane
Ive installed pythonce and Tkinter on a pocketpc 2003 2nd edition. And it runs
any python scripts on it. I want to be able to connect to a python file on a
share and have it run the python file but in Internet explorer it just opens
the python file as a text file. So i downloaded a registry editor on the
pocketpc to try and change the way IE opens the file. Either to open it up in
a save as dialog box and the run the python file like it would do for say an
mp3 file or to run the python file directly in IE somehow. However im not
sure what needs to be changed in the registry. In the python file I tried
adding a BroswerFlag to the .py under file associations but that didnt seem
to work. Any help would be appreciated on whether this can be done.

Re: How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

midtoad
David, there should be a script that edits the registry for you, and
it comes with a shortcut to help run it.  Which version of PythonCE
did you install?

Re: How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

Michael Foord-5
Stewart Midwinter wrote:

>David, there should be a script that edits the registry for you, and
>it comes with a shortcut to help run it.  Which version of PythonCE
>did you install?

It didn't work for me. The one supplied seem to need running on the PC
(using cereg.exe)  not the PocketPC - and it defines various *extra*
entries as well. It didn't work for me yet anyway.

I haven't yet taken the manual steps described to get it working. I was
re-installing over a previous install.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Re: How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

Thomas Heller
Fuzzyman <[hidden email]> writes:

> Stewart Midwinter wrote:
>
>>David, there should be a script that edits the registry for you, and
>>it comes with a shortcut to help run it.  Which version of PythonCE
>>did you install?
>>

> It didn't work for me. The one supplied seem to need running on the PC
> (using cereg.exe)  not the PocketPC - and it defines various *extra*
> entries as well. It didn't work for me yet anyway.
>
> I haven't yet taken the manual steps described to get it working. I was
> re-installing over a previous install.

Here is the script that I used (maybe it is from Luke):

#
# Setup the registry to allow us to double click on python scripts
#
from _winreg import *

print "Setting up registry to allow\ndouble clicking of Python files to work"

#
# Create the registry entries for ".py" and ".pyc" extensions
#
for Name in (".py", ".pyc"):
    Key = CreateKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, Name)
    SetValue(Key, None, REG_SZ, "Python.File")
    CloseKey(Key)

#
# Create HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\Shell\Open\Command = "\Program Files\Python\Python.exe" "%1"
#
Key = CreateKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "Python.File")
for Name in ("Shell","Open","Command"):
  New_Key= CreateKey(Key, Name)
  CloseKey(Key)
  Key = New_Key
SetValue(Key, None, REG_SZ, "\"\\Program Files\\Python\\Python.exe\" \"%1\"")
CloseKey(Key)

import time
time.sleep(5)

I did run it with 'execfile(r"\My Documents\Scripts\setup-registry.py")'
on the pocket PC itself, from within Python.

What I didn't achieve so far was to associate a useful icon with .py
files, maybe someone could post the registry entries for that?

Thomas

Stewart Midwinter wrote:

[...]

This associates '.py' with Python. There was a separate distribution of Tk/Tkinter posted to the group recently (or at least a URL).

This was purportedly more recent than other versions available for download. This distribution had a Tcl script to transfer the files to the PocketPC, this script 'hung' on me, so I followed the manual instructions. As part of this it included a batch file (that needed editing appropriately) to setup the registry entries on the PocketPC so that Python can find the install of Tk.

It uses ``cereg.exe`` run on the PC (AFAICT) to make the registry entries. It's possible of course that it ought to be run on the PocketPC - maybe I'll try that. (It certainly didn't work for me, but then it didn't report errors either, which you would expect if you try to run a PocketPC application on the desktop).

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Thomas

Stewart Midwinter wrote:

[...]

Hmm... for some reason I misread this post and thought we were talking about Tk/Tkinter. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I still have a problem - but I can always manually add the registry entries.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Thomas

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 20:34, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> David, there should be a script that edits the registry for you, and
> it comes with a shortcut to help run it.  Which version of PythonCE
> did you install?

I installed the files from Python-2.3.4-arm-PPC2003.zip and Tkinter-Files.zip
onto the pocketpc. I already had to edit that registry install file and where
to put the folders to get it to work as it didnt put a lib folder in the
python folder when i extracted it so i just changed that line in the registry
file. When i click on a .py file it runs the file fine.  However  if i click
on the file within Internet Explorer it opens a .py file as a text file.

How can i change the file associations within IE so that it either runs
the .py file when i click on it or it allows me to download the .py file and
run it then. I cannot find a way to edit these things in  IE in the registry.
Is there a better broswer to download on the pocketpc or is there a way to do
what i want on IE.

>Thomas Heller wrote:
>What I didn't achieve so far was to associate a useful icon with .py
>files, maybe someone could post the registry entries for that?

If you look at MP3FILE on the registry for example it has a folder called
DefaultIcon which has a Default value in it called "wmplayer.exe,-2001"
So id say the script for entering in for Python.File would be something like

Key = CreateKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "Python.File")
for Name in ("DefaultIcon"):
  New_Key= CreateKey(Key, Name)
  CloseKey(Key)
  Key = New_Key
SetValue(Key, None, REG_SZ, "Link to the icon you want to represent Python")
CloseKey(Key)

You probably know this but just in case

Re: How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

david creane
Ok i figured it out. Sorry it was apaches fault in the end. My bad.

I hadnt the mime-types set up for  python files in apache.
In  /etc/apache2/mime.types i had to add "application/python      py". Im not
a 100% sure if thats totally correct but it looks right and now on  IE on the
PocketPC when i  click on the .py file it gives me the save then run dialog
box. So thanks anyway.