How to test urllib|urllib2-using code?

kj-16

I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and
urllib2.  I would like to be able to run these tests locally.  Are
there modules to facilitate the writing of such tests (e.g. for
setting up a mock web server locally, etc.)?

BTW, in the Perl world, one very easy way to learn how to write
tests for stuff is to study the test suites that come with every
module distribution, and which are usually readily recognizable as
a bunch of files of the form t/*.t.  (E.g. I'm sure I could find
some good answers to my question above if I could look at the test
suites for urllib and urllib2, but I can't find them anywhere.  In
fact, I don't even know what exactly I should be looking for.)
Where can I find the equivalent for Python distributions?

Thanks!

kynn

Re: How to test urllib|urllib2-using code?

Lutz Horn-4
Hi,

kj wrote:
> I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and
> urllib2.

Take a look at the discussion under the title "How can one mock/stub
python module like urllib" at stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/295438/how-can-one-mock-stub-python-module-like-urllib

Lutz

Re: How to test urllib|urllib2-using code?

Steven D'Aprano-5
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:06:45 +0100, Lutz Horn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> kj wrote:
>> I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and urllib2.
>
> Take a look at the discussion under the title "How can one mock/stub
> python module like urllib" at stackoverflow:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/295438/how-can-one-mock-stub-python-
module-like-urllib

Oh noes!!! Ur fragmenting teh python communities!!!!1!!! DO NOT WANT!!!

*grin*

(And for those who don't know what on earth I'm referring to, see the
thread "Pyfora, a place for python".)

--
Steven

Re: How to test urllib|urllib2-using code?

Gabriel Genellina-7
En Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:33:53 -0300, kj <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I'm sure I could find
> some good answers to my question above if I could look at the test
> suites for urllib and urllib2, but I can't find them anywhere.  In
> fact, I don't even know what exactly I should be looking for.)
> Where can I find the equivalent for Python distributions?

Most of the Python test suite is in the "test" subdirectory below the
standard library; on Windows that's c:\PythonNN\Lib\test, on Linux
/usr/lib/pythonN.N/test or /usr/local/...

> dir /s/b test_url*.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2net.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2_localnet.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllibnet.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urlparse.py

--
Gabriel Genellina

In <hcs1r2$vgp$[hidden email]> Lutz Horn <[hidden email]> writes:

>Hi,

>kj wrote:
>> I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and
>> urllib2.

>Take a look at the discussion under the title "How can one mock/stub
>python module like urllib" at stackoverflow:

>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/295438/how-can-one-mock-stub-python-module-like-urllib

Thanks, that helped.

In <[hidden email]> "Gabriel Genellina" <[hidden email]> writes:

>En Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:33:53 -0300, kj <[hidden email]> escribió:

>> I'm sure I could find
>> some good answers to my question above if I could look at the test
>> suites for urllib and urllib2, but I can't find them anywhere.  In
>> fact, I don't even know what exactly I should be looking for.)
>> Where can I find the equivalent for Python distributions?

>Most of the Python test suite is in the "test" subdirectory below the
>standard library; on Windows that's c:\PythonNN\Lib\test, on Linux
>/usr/lib/pythonN.N/test or /usr/local/...

>> dir /s/b test_url*.py
>D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib.py
>D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2.py
>D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2net.py
>D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2_localnet.py
>D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllibnet.py
>D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urlparse.py

Muy agradecido,

kynn