I need to create a customized Fedora live cd with Python applications on it

I need to create a customized Fedora live cd with Python applications on it

Stanley A. Klein-2
I need to create a customized Fedora live CD with Python applications on
it.  The live CD requires rpm's of the applications.  (The issues are
similar to a customized Ubuntu live CD but Ubuntu requires deb's.)

It seems that the distutils/setup.py functions that create rpms are
broken.  I get errors most of the time that I try to use them.  The Python
community seems to be focused on eggs, that are useful if individually
installed but don't match the distribution formats of the Linux distros.
Those distribution formats are what the distros use for their live CD's.

Is there a way to convert eggs to rpm's?  Can the distutils be fixed to
reliably create rpm's?  Is there some other way to install eggs on distro
customized live CD's?

Stan Klein

Re: I need to create a customized Fedora live cd with Python applications on it

Nathan R. Yergler-4
On 4/24/07, Stanley A. Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I need to create a customized Fedora live CD with Python applications on
> it.  The live CD requires rpm's of the applications.  (The issues are
> similar to a customized Ubuntu live CD but Ubuntu requires deb's.)
>
> It seems that the distutils/setup.py functions that create rpms are
> broken.  I get errors most of the time that I try to use them.  The Python
> community seems to be focused on eggs, that are useful if individually
> installed but don't match the distribution formats of the Linux distros.
> Those distribution formats are what the distros use for their live CD's.

I've successfully created RPMs many times in the past; can you
elaborate on the problems you're having?

> Is there a way to convert eggs to rpm's?  Can the distutils be fixed to
> reliably create rpm's?  Is there some other way to install eggs on distro
> customized live CD's?

If it's a live CD, is there a reason you can't just put them into
site-packages on the CD filesystem? (I have no idea what goes into
building a Fedora live CD, so "yes, there's a reason" is a sufficient
answer).