IDLE GSoC Extension

Chas Leichner
I posted on this list at the start of the summer about my Google
Summer of Code project. I've made a lot of progress and want to bring
it to the community for some feedback. For people who missed a
description, I am working on an extension to IDLE which will allow
tutorials to be more interactive. It works by accepting specially
annotated Python files which describe their own annotations. It then
generates a trace of the execution, along with annotations and
variables, storing it as a JSON file. I then made another type of
window for stepping through the traces like a debugger and displaying
the annotations at the appropriate lines.  I have gotten to the point
where I have a working prototype for my project and would like to know
where the IDLE developers see it fitting in with IDLE.  I don't know
if it would fit in better as a built in additional feature, an
optional extension, or somewhere in between. I would also appreciate
any advice on how to integrate it better with the current class
hierarchy (it is currently rather awkwardly grafted on) so I could get
user interface issues addressed as soon as possible.

If you want to take a look at what I've done so far, this is my repo:
http://code.google.com/p/idlecarpentry/source/checkout. The .json
files in the examples directory will bring up a trace window directly
when you open them and the .py files will bring up the editor, as
usual. Traces can be run from the editor window by selecting Run >
Create Trace, annotations are pulled from any line starting with #>
and applied to the first line of Python code which follows. I would
love to hear any about any bugs you find or UI friction you encounter.

I have been keeping a blog here http://cleichner.blogspot.com/, and
will be posting a screencast to it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chas

Re: IDLE GSoC Extension

Terry Reedy
On 8/2/2010 11:54 PM, Chas Leichner wrote:
> I just wanted to check in again before going on to the next step for me
> in GSoC.  I need to start polishing work on my code very soon--the firm
> pencils down date is in two weeks--and I would like some confirmation as
> to whether or not my project could be feature in the version of IDLE
> released with Python.

All I know about extensions is that there are some that that come with
IDLE and are loaded by default and others that live on PyPI and have to
be downloaded and configured. I suspect suspect yours will have to start
as an option. To be included in the distribution, it would need the
support of a developer and a promise of at least a few years of
maintenance support from either you or the developer.

>     If you want to take a look at what I've done so far, this is my repo:
>     http://code.google.com/p/idlecarpentry/source/checkout. The .json
>     files in the examples directory will bring up a trace window directly
>     when you open them and the .py files will bring up the editor, as
>     usual. Traces can be run from the editor window by selecting Run >
>     Create Trace, annotations are pulled from any line starting with #>
>     and applied to the first line of Python code which follows. I would
>     love to hear any about any bugs you find or UI friction you encounter.
>
>     I have been keeping a blog here http://cleichner.blogspot.com/, and
>     will be posting a screencast to it tomorrow.

I support the idea of tutorial support but I cannot comment on the
implementation now.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: IDLE GSoC Extension

Tal Einat
Hi Chas,

I'm very sorry for not having been able to respond sooner! (my home computer died out ...)

Your project sounds really!

It sounds to me that you aren't just adding a feature to IDLE, but more making a new application based on IDLE. I'm not sure your project should be part of IDLE as distributed with Python, because it does something very different than what IDLE does. I also think that by trying to implement this as an extension you might unnecessarily limit yourself.

IMO, to start with put it online somewhere that people can download and play around with and focus your efforts on getting it working and then getting attention to it and people using it. Later, if it catches on we can think about including this in some way with the Python distribution (either as part of IDLE or as a separate application).

Good luck!

- Tal Einat