IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

12

IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier
Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce that IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 was release as few
minutes ago by Jamie our new project manager (in cc)!

Beyond the usual bugfixes, this release focus on the terminal user
experience, and thanks to prompt_toolkit, we know have syntax
highlighting as you type, and real multiline editing ! Yeah !
(we got rid of readline as well)

We'll release a more detailed blog post describing the new features
when we release the final version.

We would be happy if you could try this beta and report any
strange/bad behavior,
And make sure you do not use any APIs that have been deprecated and or removed.

You can upgrade now with

    pip install ipython --upgrade --pre

If all goes well we should cut the rc and/or final in 2 to 3 week-ish.
We'll try to polish the documentation, migration guide, and changelog
during this period, so please report any inaccuracies, missing part,.. etc
I guess you know the drill by now.

See attached gif-trailer if you can't install it now.
If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this thread.

Enjoy,

50.gif (94K) Download Attachment

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce that IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 was release as few
> minutes ago by Jamie our new project manager (in cc)!
>
> Beyond the usual bugfixes, this release focus on the terminal user
> experience, and thanks to prompt_toolkit, we know have syntax
> highlighting as you type, and real multiline editing ! Yeah !
> (we got rid of readline as well)
>
> We'll release a more detailed blog post describing the new features
> when we release the final version.
>
> We would be happy if you could try this beta and report any
> strange/bad behavior,
> And make sure you do not use any APIs that have been deprecated and or removed.
>
> You can upgrade now with
>
>     pip install ipython --upgrade --pre
>
> If all goes well we should cut the rc and/or final in 2 to 3 week-ish.
> We'll try to polish the documentation, migration guide, and changelog
> during this period, so please report any inaccuracies, missing part,.. etc
> I guess you know the drill by now.
>
> See attached gif-trailer if you can't install it now.
> If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this thread.

Thanks for this - a really major improvement to something I use all
the time - a good day.

I think I'm right in saying that us vi illuminati want something like:

$ cat ~/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py
# Configuration file for all things ipython
c = get_config()
c.TerminalInteractiveShell.editing_mode = 'vi'

Esc-Return seems to submit stuff from multi-line editing mode.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi Matthew,

Happy to please you, I know you can be quite picky, and we always
appreciate your feedback as one of our quality tester.
And it's quite enjoyable to know we can make people like noticeably
better even 15 years after the software creation.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I'm right in saying that us vi illuminati want something like:
>
> $ cat ~/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py
> # Configuration file for all things ipython
> c = get_config()
> c.TerminalInteractiveShell.editing_mode = 'vi'

Yes, thanks for reminding us of that. Though we know the vi mode is
not perfect, and might not behave exactly as the readline one.
We'll try to improve.

> Esc-Return seems to submit stuff from multi-line editing mode.

Yes, it force the submission of the code. We try to be smart and
submit your code when what you type is "complete".
if we can't figure it out you can indeed force-submit with Esc-Enter,
you can also leave 2 blank lines with no-indent.
We don't have a good experience either with "forcing" a new line when
the first statement is by itself valid Python.
The default prompt toolkit shortcut have Ctrl-O as insert a line below.

We should add a few of these in the documentation.

Thanks.

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthew Brett
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Happy to please you, I know you can be quite picky,

I am sure you meant to say 'sophisticated and discerning' :)

> and we always
> appreciate your feedback as one of our quality tester.

Noblesse oblige

> And it's quite enjoyable to know we can make people like noticeably
> better even 15 years after the software creation.
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think I'm right in saying that us vi illuminati want something like:
>>
>> $ cat ~/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py
>> # Configuration file for all things ipython
>> c = get_config()
>> c.TerminalInteractiveShell.editing_mode = 'vi'
>
> Yes, thanks for reminding us of that. Though we know the vi mode is
> not perfect, and might not behave exactly as the readline one.
> We'll try to improve.
>
>> Esc-Return seems to submit stuff from multi-line editing mode.
>
> Yes, it force the submission of the code. We try to be smart and
> submit your code when what you type is "complete".
> if we can't figure it out you can indeed force-submit with Esc-Enter,
> you can also leave 2 blank lines with no-indent.
> We don't have a good experience either with "forcing" a new line when
> the first statement is by itself valid Python.
> The default prompt toolkit shortcut have Ctrl-O as insert a line below.

Also - Ctrl-P seems to do autocompletion now?

Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier
Dear Sir Brett,

<[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Happy to please you, I know you can be quite picky,

I am sure you meant to say 'sophisticated and discerning' :)

Strange, I hear "you peasants" with an British accent at the end of the sentence[1].

and we always
appreciate your feedback as one of our quality tester.

Noblesse oblige

Also - Ctrl-P seems to do autocompletion now?

Similar to "up arrow" on emacs and basic mode. "auto_up" on vi mode whatever that is.
Most of the shortcut default to prompt_toolkit ones. You can discover it there:

Yours truly,

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthew Brett
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir Brett,
>
> On Jun 3, 2016, at 15:33, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Matthias Bussonnier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Happy to please you, I know you can be quite picky,
>

> I am sure you meant to say 'sophisticated and discerning' :)
>

> Strange, I hear "you peasants" with an British accent at the end of the
> sentence[1].

I can neither confirm nor deny ...

> and we always
> appreciate your feedback as one of our quality tester.
>

> Noblesse oblige

> Also - Ctrl-P seems to do autocompletion now?
>

> Similar to "up arrow" on emacs and basic mode. "auto_up" on vi mode whatever
> that is.
> Most of the shortcut default to prompt_toolkit ones. You can discover it
> there:

Ah - I see - it does it's usual thing in navigation mode, and
autocomplete in insert mode - make sense.

Yours (in the British sense of) sincerely,

Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

klo uo

Congratulations on constantly introducing new horizons :)

I wanted to ask some questions about completions with newly introduced prompt toolkit, if anyone is willing to drop by.

- When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?

- Considering many themed terminals, is it possible to set the color of completion dropbox?

- About my experience with this completion interaction... After I invoke completion:
- I cant close dropbox with Escape, instead I have to type something to hide dropbox, or move cursor back
- Further I can close dropbox by typing a letter
- Pressing Tab, causes cursor to jumps in dropbox and navigates the same as down-arrow, which seems to me like unnecessary duplicate key assignment, as I would expect Tab to actually auto-complete
- Once you jump inside dropbox you must accept some of suggested completions, as your initial typing is irreversibly changed as you navigate through completions
- Still inside dropbox, if you press Enter, what you have at the command-line is immediately executed.

To compress above points, my shameless suggestion would be (more less consistent with Notebook completions):
- Escape should close dropbox
- Typing while dropbox is open should just filter available completions, instead close dropbox
- Simply navigating through dropbox should not automatically change my command-line unless I press Tab on selected item (Enter should do the same too, instead execution)

On a side note, I guess it is expected that current jupyter cant launch this ipython console nor qtconsole.

Cheers

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Matthias Bussonnier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Klo,

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, klo uo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it
> possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?

yes:
c.TerminalInteractiveShell.space_for_menu=<int>

> - Considering many themed terminals, is it possible to set the color of
> completion dropbox?

Likely Yes, but you need to define your custom style:
by grepping through PTK source I can find the following:

Token.Menu.Completions
Token.Menu.Completions.Completion
Token.Menu.Completions.Completion.Current
Token.Menu.Completions.Meta
Token.Menu.Completions.Meta.Current
Token.Menu.Completions.MultiColumnMeta
Token.Menu.Completions.ProgressBar
Token.Menu.Completions.ProgressButton
Token.Toolbar.Completions
Token.Toolbar.Completions.Arrow
Token.Toolbar.Completions.Completion
Token.Toolbar.Completions.Completion.Current

Then you define a Pygments Theme and it should "just work".

We need to write documentation about each of these, if you figure out
all the steps, PR would be welcommed.

> - About my experience with this completion interaction... After I invoke
> completion:
> - I cant close dropbox with Escape, instead I have to type something to hide
> dropbox, or move cursor back

good point, do you wish to open an issue ?

> - Further I can close dropbox by typing a letter
> - Pressing Tab, causes cursor to jumps in dropbox and navigates the same as
> down-arrow, which seems to me like unnecessary duplicate key assignment, as
> I would expect Tab to actually auto-complete

I think that using tab to cycle is common, but I might be wrong.

> - Once you jump inside dropbox you must accept some of suggested
> completions, as your initial typing is irreversibly changed as you navigate
> through completions
> - Still inside dropbox, if you press Enter, what you have at the
> command-line is immediately executed.

All these never bother me, but you are right.

> To compress above points, my shameless suggestion would be (more less
> consistent with Notebook completions):
> - Escape should close dropbox
> - Typing while dropbox is open should just filter available completions,
> instead close dropbox
> - Simply navigating through dropbox should not automatically change my
> command-line unless I press Tab on selected item (Enter should do the same
> too, instead execution)

Do you want to open issue for each of these, we can try to improve
that during beta.

> On a side note, I guess it is expected that current jupyter cant launch this
> ipython console nor qtconsole.
>

> Cheers

Yes this has been reported, we missed that because of the weird
configuration the developers have.

Thanks for your feedback.

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

klo uo
Thanks Matthias.

We need to write documentation about each of these, if you figure out all the steps, PR would be welcommed.

Googling "Token.Menu.Completions" led me to this nice step by step tutorialhttps://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-prompt-toolkit/tree/master/examples/tutorial where it is explained how style can be applied

I just opened "../IPython/terminal" and will try to change the style. Probably I should be looking inside "ptshell.py"...

I'm saying this as changing the Pygments highlighting style in configuration file, does not seem to change completion background

About documentation, I'll have a look at give it a try, then PR if I make something.

Do you want to open issue for each of these, we can try to improve that during beta.

Done.

Cheers

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Matthias Bussonnier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> To compress above points, my shameless suggestion would be (more less
> consistent with Notebook completions):
> - Escape should close dropbox
> - Typing while dropbox is open should just filter available completions,
> instead close dropbox
> - Simply navigating through dropbox should not automatically change my
> command-line unless I press Tab on selected item (Enter should do the same
> too, instead execution)

Do you want to open issue for each of these, we can try to improve
that during beta.

> On a side note, I guess it is expected that current jupyter cant launch this
> ipython console nor qtconsole.
>

> Cheers

Yes this has been reported, we missed that because of the weird
configuration the developers have.

Thanks for your feedback.

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, klo uo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> - When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it
>> possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?
>
> yes:
> c.TerminalInteractiveShell.space_for_menu=<int>

I'm finding that the dropbox is less useful to me than the the
previous IPython behavior that gives me a pageful of options.  For
example, I often find myself searching through the methods and
attributes of an object for something that looks useful, and there are
often 20 or so methods / attributes on an object, so it is useful to
do:

import numpy as np
np.<tab>

and get the whole page of possible completions, with multiple columns.
   On the other hand a dropbox of that length is harder to grok.   Is
it possible to get the multiple column completion list instead of the
dropbox?

See you,

Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Aaron Meurer
The way xonsh (which also uses prompt_toolkit) handles this is much
better. The dropbox is full width, with many columns, and even fills
up the whole terminal if you ctrl-L.

Aaron Meurer

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, klo uo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> - When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it
>>> possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?
>>
>> yes:
>> c.TerminalInteractiveShell.space_for_menu=<int>
>
> I'm finding that the dropbox is less useful to me than the the
> previous IPython behavior that gives me a pageful of options.  For
> example, I often find myself searching through the methods and
> attributes of an object for something that looks useful, and there are
> often 20 or so methods / attributes on an object, so it is useful to
> do:
>
> import numpy as np
> np.<tab>
>
> and get the whole page of possible completions, with multiple columns.
>    On the other hand a dropbox of that length is harder to grok.   Is
> it possible to get the multiple column completion list instead of the
> dropbox?
>
> See you,
>
> Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi Matthew and Aaron,

In IPython you can use the following:

(rootenv)~/dev/ipython master$ ipython
--TerminalInteractiveShell.display_completions_in_columns=True
--no-banner

In [1]: import a<tab>
                 abc                alabaster          appnope
   argparse           ast                asynchat           atexit
                 aem                anaconda_navigator appscript
   array              astroid            asyncio            audioop
                 aifc               antigravity        argcomplete
   arrow              astropy            asyncore           autoreload

Not that the completion is still technically in a dropdown anchored
close to the cursor, so does not take the real full width of the
terminal especially if the current line is long.
We’ll try to improve that.

The Ctrl-L shortcut seem to be a prompt_toolkit default as I seem to
be able to use it in IPython as well, though I need to focus the
completer by pressing tab first.

Hope that helps.

--
Matthias

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Aaron Meurer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The way xonsh (which also uses prompt_toolkit) handles this is much
> better. The dropbox is full width, with many columns, and even fills
> up the whole terminal if you ctrl-L.
>
> Aaron Meurer
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> yes:
>>> c.TerminalInteractiveShell.space_for_menu=<int>
>>
>> I'm finding that the dropbox is less useful to me than the the
>> previous IPython behavior that gives me a pageful of options.  For
>> example, I often find myself searching through the methods and
>> attributes of an object for something that looks useful, and there are
>> often 20 or so methods / attributes on an object, so it is useful to
>> do:
>>
>> import numpy as np
>> np.<tab>
>>
>> and get the whole page of possible completions, with multiple columns.
>>    On the other hand a dropbox of that length is harder to grok.   Is
>> it possible to get the multiple column completion list instead of the
>> dropbox?
>>
>> See you,
>>
>> Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In [1]: import a<tab>
>                  abc                alabaster          appnope
>    argparse           ast                asynchat           atexit
>                  aem                anaconda_navigator appscript
>    array              astroid            asyncio            audioop
>                  aifc               antigravity        argcomplete
>    arrow              astropy            asyncore           autoreload

For whatever reason Gmail seemed to have screwed that as soon as I
pressed "send", so sending a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 10.59.25.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthew Brett
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> In [1]: import a<tab>
>>                  abc                alabaster          appnope
>>    argparse           ast                asynchat           atexit
>>                  aem                anaconda_navigator appscript
>>    array              astroid            asyncio            audioop
>>                  aifc               antigravity        argcomplete
>>    arrow              astropy            asyncore           autoreload
>>

> For whatever reason Gmail seemed to have screwed that as soon as I
> pressed "send", so sending a screenshot:

Excellent - that's much better.

I realize this is reaching the stage of self-parody, but ...

This is already as good as previous, but my vi fingers want to move
through this drop-box with vi navigation (w for move one word, Ctrl-D
for down a page etc).  I guess there's no simple way of doing that?
I'm asking because that would be enormously pleasant to have.

Thanks for your perhaps endless patience,

Matthew

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Aaron Meurer
OK, my question for IPython 5: how can I make up arrow show the
previous entry (assuming the cursor is at the top of a multiline
input)? Right now up-arrow shows the most recent entry that starts
with the text that is already typed.  I managed to change this for the
current version of IPython (I think by deleting the parse and bind of
the arrows to history-search-backward from the default configuration
file).

Aaron Meurer

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Matthias Bussonnier

>> For whatever reason Gmail seemed to have screwed that as soon as I
>> pressed "send", so sending a screenshot:
>
> Excellent - that's much better.
>
> I realize this is reaching the stage of self-parody, but ...
>
> This is already as good as previous, but my vi fingers want to move
> through this drop-box with vi navigation (w for move one word, Ctrl-D
> for down a page etc).  I guess there's no simple way of doing that?
> I'm asking because that would be enormously pleasant to have.

I want to move with the arrow keys but can't either.
and some people requested to move with pageup/down which does not works either.

Let's leave these improvements for a next version, we can always make
something better,
but at some point we have to release software right ?

You can open an issue though.

> Thanks for your perhaps endless patience,

Thanks for giving us a reason to show our endless patience.

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 9 June 2016 at 20:32, Aaron Meurer <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, my question for IPython 5: how can I make up arrow show the
previous entry (assuming the cursor is at the top of a multiline
input)? Right now up-arrow shows the most recent entry that starts
with the text that is already typed.  I managed to change this for the
current version of IPython (I think by deleting the parse and bind of
the arrows to history-search-backward from the default configuration
file).

Oh yes, I enabled that by default because I find it so useful that it annoys me when I ssh to computers where bash isn't configured to do it.

It's not currently configurable, so I sense a PR in your future ;-)

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Aaron Meurer
I set that to False, but it seems there's more to it, because
sometimes it gets stuck on an autocompletion and the arrow keys cycle
through that instead.

Related issue I just discovered: sometimes the tab completion gets
"stuck", and the only way to unstick it seems to be to type left
arrow. For instance, say I type

import IPy<TAB>

which then completes to

import IPython

then I try to press Enter. But it is stuck on a completion popup (with
only one entry). Pressing TAB again to select the one completion
doesn't help.

Aaron Meurer

On 9 June 2016 at 22:49, Aaron Meurer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Related issue I just discovered: sometimes the tab completion gets
"stuck", and the only way to unstick it seems to be to type left
arrow. For instance, say I type

import IPy<TAB>

which then completes to

import IPython

then I try to press Enter. But it is stuck on a completion popup (with
only one entry). Pressing TAB again to select the one completion
doesn't help.

Is this on master or on a beta? I think Matthias just changed something about tab completions and enter on master, so it may have either fixed or broken that.

Re: IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 13:49, Aaron Meurer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I set that to False, but it seems there's more to it, because
> sometimes it gets stuck on an autocompletion and the arrow keys cycle
> through that instead.
>
> Related issue I just discovered: sometimes the tab completion gets
> "stuck", and the only way to unstick it seems to be to type left
> arrow. For instance, say I type

The "show one completion when there is only one" has been reported and will be fixed with subsequent prompt_toolkit release.

> import IPy<TAB>
>
> which then completes to
>
> import IPython
>
> then I try to press Enter. But it is stuck on a completion popup (with
> only one entry). Pressing TAB again to select the one completion
> doesn't help.

Ctrl-G/Ctrl-C should dismiss the completer on beta3 that I'll likely release in a few hours.

Though, I can't reproduce the "getting stuck", (neither on beta2 not master).
Selecting the completion with tab and pressing enter does work here.
As well as typing anything else that does not match the completion.

12