IPython 6.0 released

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi all,

We released ipython 6.0 about an hours ago.
The conda builder are currently preheating, but in the bmeantime you
can use PIP to install.

This release is Python 3 only. See our blog post
(https://blog.jupyter.org/2017/04/19/release-of-ipython-6-0/) and the
release notes (http://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/whatsnew/version6.html)

  $ pip install ipython --upgrade

If you are on Python : Make sure you have pip 9 or above:

  $ pip --version
  $  pip install pip --upgrade

Or pip **will upgrade** to an incompatible Python version .

Reminder the IPython 5.x is LTS, is still compatible Python 2, and
will still get upgrades.
We should get 5.4 through the door soon hopefully (help welcome).

Thanks everyone for your help

Re: IPython 6.0 released

Jason Grout
Congratulations! And our first python 3-only package!

How long are we planning to support 5.x?

Thanks,

Jason

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM Matthias Bussonnier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

We released ipython 6.0 about an hours ago.
The conda builder are currently preheating, but in the bmeantime you
can use PIP to install.

This release is Python 3 only. See our blog post
(https://blog.jupyter.org/2017/04/19/release-of-ipython-6-0/) and the
release notes (http://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/whatsnew/version6.html)

  $ pip install ipython --upgrade

If you are on Python : Make sure you have pip 9 or above:

  $ pip --version
  $  pip install pip --upgrade

Or pip **will upgrade** to an incompatible Python version .

Reminder the IPython 5.x is LTS, is still compatible Python 2, and
will still get upgrades.
We should get 5.4 through the door soon hopefully (help welcome).

Thanks everyone for your help

Re: IPython 6.0 released

Kyle Kelley
Woohoo IPython 6!

Also Uh oh! I've duped myself into thinking that the IPython.display.display with updates was going to come to a Python 2 release. I was going to start doing deeper integration points into PySpark since the changes to ipykernel were out and useful (I've been using ip.display_pub.publish({ 'text/plain': 'Initial'}, transient={ "display_id": "here" })).

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Jason Grout <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kyle Kelley (@rgbkrklambdaops.com)

Re: IPython 6.0 released

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi Jason

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Jason Grout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Congratulations! And our first python 3-only package!

JupyterHub was only Python 3 only :-)

> How long are we planning to support 5.x?

Our roadmaps says:

June 2016 : Release IPython 5.0 LTS

Traitlets "LTS"
ipykernel LTS
ipython_genutils LTS

January 2017 : Release IPython 6.0 Python 3 only.
July 2017 : Release Notebook 6.0 Python 3 only.
December 2017: IPython 7.0
December 2017: End of active support IPython 5.x LTS
July 2019 : Complete end of support for IPython 5.x

from [here](https://github.com/jupyter/roadmap/blob/master/accepted/migration-to-python-3-only.md).

I guess we are a bit late on Schedule, and technically we have 3 month
to drop Python 2 from the notebook package , we can slide a bit,
and we haven't decided IIRC if "No more support" means officially no
support, or actually incompatible in the codebase. Also it's not
because
the **server** is Python 2 incompat that you can't run Python 2 kernels.

> Thanks,

Re: IPython 6.0 released

Fernando Perez
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Matthias Bussonnier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

We released ipython 6.0 about an hours ago.
The conda builder are currently preheating, but in the bmeantime you
can use PIP to install.

This release is Python 3 only. See our blog post
(https://blog.jupyter.org/2017/04/19/release-of-ipython-6-0/) and the
release notes (http://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/whatsnew/version6.html)

Congratulations and a huge thanks to Matthias and everyone who continues to push on keeping IPyhton fresh and valuable for the community.  I also want to highlight the value of that well-written, thoughtful blog post: it communicates very well the why and the how of our approach to the 2/3 transition, and I've already seen it being of value to other projects who are considering similar questions.

Very best,

Re: IPython 6.0 released

Matthias Bussonnier
> Congratulations and a huge thanks to Matthias and everyone who continues to
> push on keeping IPyhton fresh and valuable for the community.  I also want
> to highlight the value of that well-written, thoughtful blog post: it
> communicates very well the why and the how of our approach to the 2/3
> transition, and I've already seen it being of value to other projects who
> are considering similar questions.

Thanks, I got a lot of help From Thomas and Mike that proofread several time
and refactored some sections. So far we did not had any complaint that we were
breaking things for Python 2 users (which so far is a good sign). And the usual
Reddit and HN harsh comments were few.

We got already a  few bug reports where Jedi completion are less feature full
than what people expect. And now "complaints" that `?`/`pinfo` does not do
as much inference than <tab> :-D

I'm going to preach a bit how to do a smooth transition at PyCon in
about a month and detail a bit what we did upstream to allow this. I also
hope to get some time to backport a couple of PR that have merge
conflicts to the 5.x branch (if anyone want to help, look for close PRs with
the "Still Need Manual Backport" tag), and hopefully get a 5.4 release soon.
This will allow Python 2 / 5.x  users to re-use readline.

> Very best,

Re: IPython 6.0 released

Damián Avila
A huge thanks to Matthias, Thomas and all the others contributing to this beautiful piece of the ecosystem.

Cheers.

> Congratulations and a huge thanks to Matthias and everyone who continues to
> push on keeping IPyhton fresh and valuable for the community.  I also want
> to highlight the value of that well-written, thoughtful blog post: it
> communicates very well the why and the how of our approach to the 2/3
> transition, and I've already seen it being of value to other projects who
> are considering similar questions.

Thanks, I got a lot of help From Thomas and Mike that proofread several time
and refactored some sections. So far we did not had any complaint that we were
breaking things for Python 2 users (which so far is a good sign). And the usual
Reddit and HN harsh comments were few.

We got already a  few bug reports where Jedi completion are less feature full
than what people expect. And now "complaints" that `?`/`pinfo` does not do
as much inference than <tab> :-D

I'm going to preach a bit how to do a smooth transition at PyCon in
about a month and detail a bit what we did upstream to allow this. I also
hope to get some time to backport a couple of PR that have merge
conflicts to the 5.x branch (if anyone want to help, look for close PRs with
the "Still Need Manual Backport" tag), and hopefully get a 5.4 release soon.
This will allow Python 2 / 5.x  users to re-use readline.

> Very best,

Damián Avila