IPython 7.0.0b1 released on PyPI. Thanks Paul !

IPython 7.0.0b1 released on PyPI. Thanks Paul !

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi all,

Huge thanks to Paul Ivanov for releasing IPython 7.0.0b1 !
Send love his way.

TL:DR;
- it is only on PyPI: pip install ipython --pre
- corresponding version of IPykernel that enable some features is _not out yet_.
- biggest changes are: async-Repl/Prompt-toolkit-2/new-input-transformer
- It drops Python support for 3.3 and 3.4

Longer version.

We've been working hard on getting fancy new features to IPython (and ipykernel), so we are please to have the beta1 of IPython 7.

There are some major change in the internals, please test and contribute update to the docs and what's new[1] when you can. Even just opening a issue to say that something is not clear/surprising/missing-link/you love us/etc... is helpful.

 - I'm not sure how to make a prerelease on conda-forge, thus this is only available on PyPI with pip, installable by passing the --pre flag. If you know how to do that on conda-forge, help welcommed.

- The new Async REPL in the notebook (and other frontends) will require IPykernel 5.0 to be release. Right now it works only in plain terminal IPython. We'll do a beta soon, but sleep is needed before that. see [1]

- Update to PTK2. see [1]

- If you want to help in anyway, have for example reading/writing skills for the 7.0 blog post announce, or just want to +1 on an issue subscribe to the 7.0 meta issue [2].

- Tell you friends to look at [1]

- It is still **beta** that is to say changes still possible. We'll do a Rc in a week or so.

- Have fun.

Much love from the IPython team. An much love to any contributors and users that made this possible.
--
Matthias

Re: IPython 7.0.0b1 released on PyPI. Thanks Paul !

Aaron Meurer
I would suggest producing a better error message if IPython 7 is run
with prompt-toolkit 1. Right now, it gives `ImportError: No module
named 'prompt_toolkit.formatted_text'`

Also, the SymPy tests all still pass with IPython 7, so everything is
good there.

Aaron Meurer

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Denis Akhiyarov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, async is big! Has then been tested with magic cells that call into or
> embed other languages, like Cython, R, f2py, Julia?
>

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 3:50 PM Matthias Bussonnier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Huge thanks to Paul Ivanov for releasing IPython 7.0.0b1 !
>> Send love his way.
>>
>> TL:DR;
>> - Read and complain about Changelog
>> https://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/whatsnew/version7.html
>> - it is only on PyPI: pip install ipython --pre
>> - corresponding version of IPykernel that enable some features is _not out
>> yet_.
>> - biggest changes are: async-Repl/Prompt-toolkit-2/new-input-transformer
>> - It drops Python support for 3.3 and 3.4
>>
>> Longer version.
>>
>> We've been working hard on getting fancy new features to IPython (and
>> ipykernel), so we are please to have the beta1 of IPython 7.
>>
>> There are some major change in the internals, please test and contribute
>> update to the docs and what's new[1] when you can. Even just opening a issue
>> to say that something is not clear/surprising/missing-link/you love
>> us/etc... is helpful.
>>
>>  - I'm not sure how to make a prerelease on conda-forge, thus this is only
>> available on PyPI with pip, installable by passing the --pre flag. If you
>> know how to do that on conda-forge, help welcommed.
>>
>> - The new Async REPL in the notebook (and other frontends) will require
>> IPykernel 5.0 to be release. Right now it works only in plain terminal
>> IPython. We'll do a beta soon, but sleep is needed before that. see [1]
>>
>> - Update to PTK2. see [1]
>>
>> - If you want to help in anyway, have for example reading/writing skills
>> for the 7.0 blog post announce, or just want to +1 on an issue subscribe to
>> the 7.0 meta issue [2].
>>
>> - Tell you friends to look at [1]
>>
>> - It is still **beta** that is to say changes still possible. We'll do a
>> Rc in a week or so.
>>
>> - Have fun.
>>
>> Much love from the IPython team. An much love to any contributors and
>> users that made this possible.
>> --
>> Matthias
>>
>> 1: https://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/whatsnew/version7.html
>> 2: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/11297

Re: [jupyter] Re: IPython 7.0.0b1 released on PyPI. Thanks Paul !

Matthias Bussonnier
> Wow, async is big!

Just 2 years in the making no big deal :-) Don't look at the code we're doing some crazy things.

> Has then been tested with magic cells that call into or embed other languages, like Cython, R, f2py, Julia?

No, not tested, but in general nothing working before _should_ break – but hey, that's why we do a beta.
Remember that magics are "just" some function call:
get_ipython().magic(magic_name, first_line, rest_of_cell)

There are some limitation:
 - If the magic embeds sync code, there should be no issues.
 - If the magics embeds async code or exec() things, or call-back into IPython it may break.

In most case magics will be blocking, that is to say they'll take over the event loop like any other sync-functions. We haven't fleshed out if we want "async magics". We'll likely go with "all magics are async", and just happen to block sometimes.

For example %%timeit with `await function()`  does not work, and will raise a RuntimeError, but classical `%%timeit` with sync function should work.

>  I would suggest producing a better error message if IPython 7 is run
> with prompt-toolkit 1. Right now, it gives `ImportError: No module
> named 'prompt_toolkit.formatted_text'`

Hum, make some sens, but we generally don't do that for other libraries if we're incompatible. If someone want to send a Pull-Request, that's an easy first time contribution.

> Also, the SymPy tests all still pass with IPython 7, so everything is
> good there.

Awesome ! Thanks for testing !
--
Matthias