[IPython-User] Cell scrolling quirks in Notebook

[IPython-User] Cell scrolling quirks in Notebook

Jean Bigboute
I use Notebook chiefly with Firefox on Mac, Windows, and Linux installations
and occasionally with Safari.

If I have a long output in a cell, activating the scroll feature has an odd
effect:

If I compress when the input line is off the screen, I wind up in a
different part of the Notebook, usually farther down, and the active cell
now on some different cell.  It's as if the cursor stays in one location and
everything moves up.  I usually lose lock on where I was and  wind up
activating cells out of sequence.

If the input line is on the screen, there is no problem.  The cell
compresses but the active cell remains highlighted.

I looked into custom.css per

http://www.damian.oquanta.info/posts/48-themes-for-your-ipython-notebook.html

and related links to see if there was a pertinent setting that addressed
this.  Couldn't find one there nor can I create a color scheme where I can
identify that this has happened definitively.

There's this issue that has been discussed but
a) I see this in Safari as well as FF
b) I'm unsure whether it is the same problem I'm having or if I'm getting terminology confused

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/2041

Advice appreciated.

JBB

[Please excuse any duplicates - I've been having some problems posting]

Re: Cell scrolling quirks in Notebook

Jean Bigboute
Jean Bigboute <jeanbigboute <at> gmail.com> writes:

Self-followup + Refocus:

This notebook and its associated example style sheet have gotten me very
close to what I need:

http://localhost:8888/notebooks/Desktop/Styling_notebooks.ipynb

To go:
------
Making the border around the current cell (ie. the one that moves up and
down and identifies the cell) stand out.  Would appreciate either or both of

a) the specific CSS element that covers this (hope it exists) - I'd like to
make it thicker and a different color

b) pointer to a document that summarizes the CSS elements associated with
Notebooks, if such exists (I have looked)

I am still concerned about the jumping around on cell scrolling but if I can
make the active cell border clearer, I may be able to live with it

Thanks,

JBB