[IPython-User] Compressed notebooks

Akim Demaille
Hi Guys,

First of all, congrats on the release!

However, it's hard to get information about this release.  The website is a little terse, and even http://ipython.org/news.html stops at 3.2.

Is there some plans to add support for compressed notebooks?  I don't particularly thinks this is needed, however, my package features documentation as notebooks installed in /usr/share/doc.  And debian tools _love_ to compress about everything that is in /usr/share/doc. So I have to struggle with these tools to be able to get readable documentation.

However, it is not particularly stupid either to compress these files, and I expect more packages will face the same problem as I did.  So you might want to consider support for such notebooks?

Thanks!

FWIW, from https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html

> 12.3 Additional documentation
>
> Any additional documentation that comes with the package may be installed at the discretion of the package maintainer. Plain text documentation should be installed in the directory /usr/share/doc/package, where package is the name of the package, and compressed with gzip -9 unless it is small.

Re: Compressed notebooks

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi Akim,

On Aug 24, 2015, at 15:05, Akim Demaille <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Guys,

First of all, congrats on the release!

Thanks,

However, it's hard to get information about this release.  The website is a little terse, and even http://ipython.org/news.html stops at 3.2.

The new release of most of the tool is under the Jupyter name,
the release was announced on the Jupyter and IPython Mailing list with links to the blog that
explain the split.  See https://blog.jupyter.org

Is there some plans to add support for compressed notebooks?

No, there is no plan to add that in the core.
Though the content manager is pluggable, so there are no reason why you couldn’t implement that if you like.
There are already alternative content manager that store notebooks as markdown or in PostGresql.

 I don't particularly thinks this is needed, however, my package features documentation as notebooks installed in /usr/share/doc.  And debian tools _love_ to compress about everything that is in /usr/share/doc. So I have to struggle with these tools to be able to get readable documentation.

However, it is not particularly stupid either to compress these files, and I expect more packages will face the same problem as I did.  So you might want to consider support for such notebooks?

We don’t want to compress notebook as otherwise they become not human-fixable anymore,
and even worse to version control. So for now another on disk format by default is not planned.

Also please adress most of the communication to [hidden email], -user is deprecated.
And notebook being not python specific, this kind of discussion is more for jupyter,
which mailing list is on google groups: [hidden email]

I believe the Julia Taylor might have already done some work for packaging notebooks,
you might want to contact him, or coordinate, if you haven’t already.

Thanks!

FWIW, from https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html

12.3 Additional documentation

Any additional documentation that comes with the package may be installed at the discretion of the package maintainer. Plain text documentation should be installed in the directory /usr/share/doc/package, where package is the name of the package, and compressed with gzip -9 unless it is small.

Re: Compressed notebooks

Julian Taylor-3
On 24.08.2015 15:48, Matthias Bussonnier wrote:

> Hi Akim,
>

>> On Aug 24, 2015, at 15:05, Akim Demaille <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>
>> Is there some plans to add support for compressed notebooks?
>

> Also please adress most of the communication to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>, -user is deprecated.
> And notebook being not python specific, this kind of discussion is more
> for jupyter,
> which mailing list is on google groups: [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> I believe the Julia Taylor might have already done some work for
> packaging notebooks,
> you might want to contact him, or coordinate, if you haven’t already.

just exclude notebooks from compression:
override_dh_compress:
        dh_compress -X.ipynb