[IPython-User] Connect to remote kernel on AWS using local qtconsole?

[IPython-User] Connect to remote kernel on AWS using local qtconsole?

Reckoner
Hi,

 By following the instructions listed here:

Running a notebook server — IPython 1.2.1: An Afternoon Hack documentation - https://ipython.org/ipython-doc/rel-1.1.0/interactive/public_server.html

I have been able to connect to a remote notebook server on Amazon AWS via the browser. Can I get to this kernel using   a local qtconsole?  In other words, can I do something like this on the local client:

% ipython qtconsole --kernel <something>

My concern is that the instructions listed above refer to a password and certificate that is required by the browser to connect to the remote server. How would this work with the desired qtconsole? Maybe some kind of tunnel is required to handle this case?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Connect to remote kernel on AWS using local qtconsole?

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 24 August 2015 at 13:30, Reckoner <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been able to connect to a remote notebook server on Amazon AWS via the browser. Can I get to this kernel using   a local qtconsole?  In other words, can I do something like this on the local client:

% ipython qtconsole --kernel <something>

My concern is that the instructions listed above refer to a password and certificate that is required by the browser to connect to the remote server. How would this work with the desired qtconsole? Maybe some kind of tunnel is required to handle this case?

Yes, it would require an SSH tunnel to the VM where the kernels are running:

http://jupyter.org/qtconsole/stable/#ssh-tunnels

Thomas