[IPython-User] How to debug running ipython notebook

[IPython-User] How to debug running ipython notebook

Ian Stokes-Rees

I'm trying to startup ipython notebook in a way that will let me debug it.

I tried:

$ python

>>> import pdb
>>> from IPython import start_ipython
>>> pdb.run('start_ipython(["notebook"])')

but it looks like that starts in a separate process.

TIA,

Ian

Re: How to debug running ipython notebook

MinRK
What do you want to debug, the notebook server or the kernel?

On 8/6/13 7:36 PM, MinRK wrote:
What do you want to debug, the notebook server or the kernel?

Right, good question -- actually, knowing how to do both would be great, but the one I'm interested in right now is the notebook server.

Re: How to debug running ipython notebook

MinRK

To debug the notebook server:

import pdb
from IPython.html.notebookapp import NotebookApp
pdb.run("NotebookApp.launch_instance()")

And the kernel has its %debug magics, etc.