[IPython-User] IPython-notebook 2.x.x crashing on Windows 32

[IPython-User] IPython-notebook 2.x.x crashing on Windows 32

gary ruben
Hi,

Since IPython 2.x.x I haven't been able to run IPython notebook on my work machine, which is running Anaconda Python 32 bit in Windows7 enterprise 64 bit.

I think it is this issue with ZMQ causing the problem
https://code.google.com/p/winpython/issues/detail?id=49

because I see
windows ZMQError: Permission denied
in the crashed console window. The proposed solution according to a couple of threads I've found online is to add a loopback address exception to the Windows firewall, but this hasn't solved the problem for me (although I may have done this incorrectly). It is possible that McAfee is causing problems too. At home I'm running Anaconda Python 64 bit in Windows7 Pro 64 bit with no such problem, but I'm not using McAfee at home.

Any ideas?

Gary R.

Re: IPython-notebook 2.x.x crashing on Windows 32

Ian Stokes-Rees
Hi Gary,

I'm an engineer at Continuum -- we make the Anaconda Python distro, although I don't work on that.  I have seen lots of weird stuff happen with Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise and Python.  I think they must have done some tricky stuff with administrator privs that were sorted out/smoothed out in Windows 8.  I wonder if it is something along these lines that are affecting you.

My best guess on the error message: file write perms or port access perms.  If there is a stack trace, maybe provide that for some extra insight.

I can only provide three suggestions:

1. Try the following from a command shell:

conda update conda
conda update ipython
conda update zmq
ipython notebook

basically, update conda, ipython, and zmq then see if starting ipython notebook from the CLI works for you.

2. Try again with 64-bit Anaconda distro instead (my bet would be that this isn't going to change anything).

Ian

Re: IPython-notebook 2.x.x crashing on Windows 32

gary ruben
I followed Ian's advice and I moved to Anaconda 64bit and I still have the problem, but I added a traceback over there at Continuum's forum, where hopefully this will provide more insight.

Also, thanks Richard for the extra datapoint.

Gary