Quantcast

[IPython-User] Incomplete Windows 7 installation

[IPython-User] Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Paul Jurczak
Hello,

Here are the steps I made on Windows 64-bit with no prior Python installation:
1.       Install Python 3.x (Windows installer) from http://python.org/.
2.       Install IPython (Windows installer) from http://ipython.org/download.html.

Installation completed successfully, log file doesn't have any errors, but there is no IPython on Start Menu or Desktop. There are several executables in Python32/Scripts directory, but running them produces errors (ipython3 -> "ImportError: No module named pkg_resources").

Is there an installation step I missed?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Thomas Kluyver-2
Hi Paul

On 9 February 2012 17:37, Paul Jurczak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Installation completed successfully, log file doesn't have any errors, but there is no IPython on Start Menu or Desktop. There are several executables in Python32/Scripts directory, but running them produces errors (ipython3 -> "ImportError: No module named pkg_resources").

Is there an installation step I missed?

It sounds like you don't have distribute installed - unfortunately we've found this is necessary on Windows. You can get it here - the simplest way is using distribute_setup.py

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions

After installing that, if you rerun the IPython installation, you should see it in the start menu.

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Paul Jurczak
Hi Thomas,

>Installation completed successfully, log file doesn't have any errors, but there is no IPython on Start Menu or Desktop. There are several executables in Python32/Scripts directory, but running them produces errors (ipython3 -> "ImportError: No module named pkg_resources").
>>
>>Is there an installation step I missed?
>It sounds like you don't have distribute installed - unfortunately we've found this is necessary on Windows. You can get it here - the simplest way is using distribute_setup.py
>
>http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions
>
>After installing that, if you rerun the IPython installation, you should see it in the start menu.

OK, I installed Distribute, rerun IPython installation and I have text mode interface running. How do I get to a pretty interface with embedded graphs as shown in SciPy 2011 video?

Paul

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Fernando Perez
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Paul Jurczak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, I installed Distribute, rerun IPython installation and I have text mode interface running. How do I get to a pretty interface with embedded graphs as shown in SciPy 2011 video?

You can find this information in the manual:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/interactive/htmlnotebook.html

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Paul Jurczak
>OK, I installed Distribute, rerun IPython installation and I have text mode interface running.

I forgot to mention that running iptest3.exe produces a text stream ending in "ImportError: No module named nose.loader". Is this something to worry about?

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Paul Jurczak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I forgot to mention that running iptest3.exe produces a text stream ending in "ImportError: No module named nose.loader". Is this something to worry about?

You only need to install nose if you want to run the ipython test
suite itself.   It's not needed for any user-facing functionality.

Best,

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Paul Jurczak
>>  I forgot to mention that running iptest3.exe produces a text stream ending

> in "ImportError: No module named nose.loader". Is this something to
> worry about?
>
> You only need to install nose if you want to run the ipython test
> suite itself.   It's not needed for any user-facing functionality.
>
> Best,

Thank you guys for your help, Paul.

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Rafael Rodrigues Del Grande
Hi Thomas,

Can you help me ?

I'm having problems when I try to run the distributive (on python 2.7 and on windows 7).

This message appears :

 "Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/d/distribute/distribute-0.6.28.tar.gz
Extracting in c:\users\rafael\appdata\local\temp\tmpeyl0b5
Now working in c:\users\rafael\appdata\local\temp\tmpeyl0b5\distribute-0.6.28
Installing Distribute
Something went wrong during the installation.
See the error message above."

The file distribute-0.6.28.tar is downloaded in my computer

What's happenning? =/

Thanks for the attention.

Re: [IPython-User] Incomplete Windows 7 installation

john williams
Trying to install ipython for use with python 3.3.2 on Win7 ...

Understand that distribute is a hard dependency ...

Have downloaded the distribute zip from here ...

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions

Exactly where is this to be installed to fulfill the dependency?    Thanks

Re: Incomplete Windows 7 installation

Zann
Hi John,

To the best of my knowledge, to install 'distribute' it is enough to obtain the 'distribute_setup.py' and execute it with python interpreter, something like this (I would run the Command Prompt as Administrator just in case):

C:\path_to\python.exe C:\path_to\distribute_setup.py

The 'distribute_setup.py' can be downloaded from http://python-distribute.org as a single file, or from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/0.6.49 as a part of a larger TAR.GZ source archive. The ZIP archive from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/0.7.3 does not seem to have the needed file at all, and I am not sure what to do with it.

Hope this helps,
-Zann

Thursday, August 1, 2013, 5:36:42 PM, john williams wrote:

jw> Trying to install ipython for use with python 3.3.2 on Win7 ...

jw> Understand that distribute is a hard dependency ...

jw> Have downloaded the distribute zip from here ...

jw> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions

jw> Exactly where is this to be installed to fulfill the dependency?    Thanks

jw> --
jw> View this message in context: http://python.6.x6.nabble.com/IPython-User-Incomplete-Windows-7-installation-tp4380346p5026909.html
jw> Sent from the IPython - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
jw> IPython-User mailing list
jw> [hidden email]
jw> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/ipython-user

On 4 August 2013 08:10, Zann <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/0.7.3 does not seem to have the needed file at all

BTW, distribute has been merged back into, and superseded by, setuptools. For a long time, setuptools didn't support Python 3, which is why the installation instructions talk about distribute. We should update that if we haven't already.

Thanks,
Thomas