Quantcast

[IPython-User] Keyboard Shortcut for toggling between various input modes in an IPython notebook

[IPython-User] Keyboard Shortcut for toggling between various input modes in an IPython notebook

Kannappan Sampath
Dear friends,
I have been wondering if there is a shortcut key for toggling between the various input modes available in a IPython notebook.

For instance, I find myself often needing the shell and the markdown text mode... I'd be glad if I can minimise the mouse usage.

Thank you.

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for toggling between various input modes in an IPython notebook

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 1 November 2012 22:58, Kannappan Sampath <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been wondering if there is a shortcut key for toggling between the
> various input modes available in a IPython notebook.

Markdown mode is Ctrl+m,m (i.e. hold down Ctrl, and tap m twice). I
forget the others, but there should be a list under the help menu.

Thomas

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for toggling between various input modes in an IPython notebook

gardnerpomper
This is just slightly off topic, but is there a way to get simple
emacs key bindings for editing the cells? Just ^A, ^E, ^P, ^N, ^K, ^Y
would make my life easier <grin>. I don't seem to be able to retrain
my fingers!

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 November 2012 22:58, Kannappan Sampath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have been wondering if there is a shortcut key for toggling between the
>> various input modes available in a IPython notebook.
>
> Markdown mode is Ctrl+m,m (i.e. hold down Ctrl, and tap m twice). I
> forget the others, but there should be a list under the help menu.
>
> Thomas

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for toggling between various input modes in an IPython notebook

Kannappan Sampath
Thank you for the answer. I should have seen the help menu before asking.

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for toggling between various input modes in an IPython notebook

MinRK
This is just slightly off topic, but is there a way to get simple
emacs key bindings for editing the cells? Just ^A, ^E, ^P, ^N, ^K, ^Y
would make my life easier <grin>. I don't seem to be able to retrain
my fingers!

This sort of thing should be up to the browser/OS, I think.  For instance, on OS X (any major browser) all of these except ^Y already work, simply because it is a text area.