[IPython-User] Moving content between Notebooks

[IPython-User] Moving content between Notebooks

Clare Sloggett
Hi all,

I'm building some teaching content out of pre-existing teaching content. Is there any good way to copy cells from one notebook to another?

Right now I'm literally copy-pasting each individual cell's contents into the new cells. This feels like the wrong approach! It's extremely fiddly as the source content is a large number of small cells.

Even if the answer involves editing the JSON files, this would be better than what I'm currently doing. But my understanding is that that is something that's quite fragile, and discouraged?

Thanks for any help!

Clare

Re: Moving content between Notebooks

Matthias Bussonnier
Hello Clare,

I suggest you send your question to the dev mailing list, the frequentation of Ipython-user is low,
and we are trying to move all users into a single list.

I would have a look at

IIRC Jurgen did an extension that allowed to copy/past throughout windows, but only works in chrome.

Cheers,
—

Le 3 août 2014 à 14:11, Clare Sloggett <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi all,

I'm building some teaching content out of pre-existing teaching content. Is there any good way to copy cells from one notebook to another?

Right now I'm literally copy-pasting each individual cell's contents into the new cells. This feels like the wrong approach! It's extremely fiddly as the source content is a large number of small cells.

Even if the answer involves editing the JSON files, this would be better than what I'm currently doing. But my understanding is that that is something that's quite fragile, and discouraged?

Thanks for any help!

Clare

Re: Moving content between Notebooks

Clare Sloggett
Hi Matthias,

Thanks for that. I have noticed I don't get much email from ipython-user, but I didn't realise it was deprecated!

I think I've solved my problem so I'll record it here in case anyone is asking the same question: editing the JSON directly was a good enough solution for me - I just had to replace the sha1 hash field at the top of the JSON with an empty string to avoid errors. This means the notebook becomes "untrusted" but I don't think that's a big deal, I think it can be re-signed.

It looks like Jurgen's extension would have been a better solution - next time! Thanks for that.

Clare