Quantcast

[IPython-User] Notebook ceased working - resolved

[IPython-User] Notebook ceased working - resolved

Thomas Pfaff

All-clear everyone,

the reason was another part of my Anti-Virus software, which also had been upgraded recently.

The newest version of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control, includes a web-filter, which apparently blocks websocket connections.

I found a hint on that here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/antivirus-configuration.html#sophos_endpoint_security_and_control

Stopping the “Sophos Web Intelligence Service” returned IPython’s behaviour back to normal.

Sorry for taking your time / thanks for listening.

Back to work…

Thomas

Re: Notebook ceased working - resolved

Fernando Perez
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Thomas Pfaff
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stopping the “Sophos Web Intelligence Service” returned IPython’s behaviour
> back to normal.

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was! It helps a lot, since
that way in the future we may know what to suggest to others if they
are troubleshooting similar symptoms.

In general, whenever someone finds a solution to a problem that seems
a bit mysterious, it's great to report back (as you did) what you
learned, so our collective google-based brain learns as well.

Re: Notebook ceased working - resolved

arsbbr
Same problem here:
EPD 7.2.2, Windows 7, Sophos Endpoint Security, ipython pre0.13

I got the same error messages and behavior in the notebook like Thomas.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get rid of "Sophos Web Control Service" in services.msc.
After setting the startup type to manual and rebooting, the service is still starting. Stopping it afterwards doesn't help either.
Uninstalling of Sophos isn't an options, since this is not my private computer.

Any suggestions what else I could try?

Thanks,
Arne

Re: Notebook ceased working - resolved

Thomas Pfaff-2
Hi Arne,

I don't know about the Sophos Web Control Service. I also don't see it
in my services.msc.
If you look at the service's properties, what .exe file does it point to?
Do you have the Sophos Web Intelligence Service?

Does the ipython notebook work again after you stopped the service
without rebooting?
If that's the case, you could also disable the service. That should
definitely prevent it from starting.

Cheers

Thomas
2012/3/23 arsbbr <[hidden email]>:

> Same problem here:
> EPD 7.2.2, Windows 7, Sophos Endpoint Security, ipython pre0.13
>
> I got the same error messages and behavior in the notebook like Thomas.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to get rid of "Sophos Web Control Service" in
> services.msc.
> After setting the startup type to manual and rebooting, the service is still
> starting. Stopping it afterwards doesn't help either.
> Uninstalling of Sophos isn't an options, since this is not my private
> computer.
>
> Any suggestions what else I could try?
>
> Thanks,
> Arne

Re: Notebook ceased working - resolved

arsbbr
Ah, my fault! I disabled the wrong service:

"Sophos Web Control Service"

instead of

"Sophos Web Intelligence Service"  :)
Thanks for pointing that out. It is working now!

Thank you, Thomas!

Cheers,
Arne

Re: Notebook ceased working - resolved

Thomas Pfaff-2
Small addition,

irregularly - I guess after major updates - it seems like the
service's startup behavior is reset back to 'automatic'.
Just in case your notebooks start behaving funny again after a while,
check, if the WebIntelligence service is still turned off and
deactivated.

If someone gets his/her hands on his/her Sophos Administrator and
convinces him to deactivate websocket blocking, please let me know how
he did it.

Cheers

Thomas