Quantcast

[IPython-User] Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

[IPython-User] Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Fernando Perez
Hi all,

we wanted to give you all some absolutely fantastic news regarding
IPython that we just received...  This also partly explains my silence
during much of this semester, as I was focused on looking for
long-term funding for IPython.

We are proud to announce that we've received funding from the Alfred
P. Sloan foundation (http://sloan.org) that will support IPython
development for the next two years.  Thanks to this $1.15M grant,
Brian Granger and I will be working roughly 3/4 of our time on
IPython, Min Ragan-Kelley will be our lead project engineer, and Paul
Ivanov and Thomas Kluyver will be working as postdocs on the project.
Furthermore,  Matthew Brett and JB Poline of Nipy fame will be working
part-time on the development of notebooks for applied statistics in
collaboration with Jonathan Taylor from Stanford (these materials will
be used by Jonathan in the teaching of his applied stats course, the
STAT 191 course - http://www.stanford.edu/class/stats191).  While
Brian is at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,  the rest of our team will be
located at Berkeley (with frequent visits to Stanford for the
statistics work with Jonathan).

This will also give us resources to support two annual all-hands
development sprints at Berkeley where I hope all our core developers
will be able to attend, as well as funding for cloud resources so that
we can provide paid support for our CI hosting and nbviewer beyond
what the free plans allow (and further services that may arise over
time).

We'd like to particularly thank Josh Greenberg, our program director
at the Sloan foundation, for the phenomenal guidance and support he
provided during the grant proposal preparation and detailed review
process.

Needless to say, we are extremely excited about these news.  We'll
have more announcements to make over the next few weeks, but now I
need to get a lot of administrative wheels in motion quickly, as the
funding officially starts Jan 1, 2013!

All the best,

Re: [IPython-dev] Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Gael Varoquaux
Nice achievement! We'll really have an IPython that absolutely rocks.
Congratulations.

Gaël

Re: [IPython-dev] Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Abhishek Pratap-2
Congrats to the dev team..you guys do a great job of developing and
supporting a very very useful tool or dare I call it flav of python.

3 cheers to the team...!!!!!!!

-Abhi

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice achievement! We'll really have an IPython that absolutely rocks.
> Congratulations.
>
> Gaël

Re: Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Burns, Scott S
That's fantastic news. Hopefully this will spur other funding agencies to
consider funding the development of software tools.

Scott

On 12/11/12 4:34 PM, "Fernando Perez" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>we wanted to give you all some absolutely fantastic news regarding
>IPython that we just received...  This also partly explains my silence
>during much of this semester, as I was focused on looking for
>long-term funding for IPython.
>
>We are proud to announce that we've received funding from the Alfred
>P. Sloan foundation (http://sloan.org) that will support IPython
>development for the next two years.  Thanks to this $1.15M grant,
>Brian Granger and I will be working roughly 3/4 of our time on
>IPython, Min Ragan-Kelley will be our lead project engineer, and Paul
>Ivanov and Thomas Kluyver will be working as postdocs on the project.
>Furthermore,  Matthew Brett and JB Poline of Nipy fame will be working
>part-time on the development of notebooks for applied statistics in
>collaboration with Jonathan Taylor from Stanford (these materials will
>be used by Jonathan in the teaching of his applied stats course, the
>STAT 191 course - http://www.stanford.edu/class/stats191).  While
>Brian is at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,  the rest of our team will be
>located at Berkeley (with frequent visits to Stanford for the
>statistics work with Jonathan).
>
>This will also give us resources to support two annual all-hands
>development sprints at Berkeley where I hope all our core developers
>will be able to attend, as well as funding for cloud resources so that
>we can provide paid support for our CI hosting and nbviewer beyond
>what the free plans allow (and further services that may arise over
>time).
>
>We'd like to particularly thank Josh Greenberg, our program director
>at the Sloan foundation, for the phenomenal guidance and support he
>provided during the grant proposal preparation and detailed review
>process.
>
>Needless to say, we are extremely excited about these news.  We'll
>have more announcements to make over the next few weeks, but now I
>need to get a lot of administrative wheels in motion quickly, as the
>funding officially starts Jan 1, 2013!
>
>All the best,

Re: Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Chao
I am spending 3/4 of my time with ipython now. Many many many many thanks to the development team and congratulations for the funding. The cool thing of open source is not only software, it also change people, to have spirit of sharing, and the joy.

BIG THANKS!

Chao

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Burns, Scott S <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's fantastic news. Hopefully this will spur other funding agencies to
consider funding the development of software tools.

Scott

On 12/11/12 4:34 PM, "Fernando Perez" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>we wanted to give you all some absolutely fantastic news regarding
>IPython that we just received...  This also partly explains my silence
>during much of this semester, as I was focused on looking for
>long-term funding for IPython.
>
>We are proud to announce that we've received funding from the Alfred
>P. Sloan foundation (http://sloan.org) that will support IPython
>development for the next two years.  Thanks to this $1.15M grant,
>Brian Granger and I will be working roughly 3/4 of our time on
>IPython, Min Ragan-Kelley will be our lead project engineer, and Paul
>Ivanov and Thomas Kluyver will be working as postdocs on the project.
>Furthermore,  Matthew Brett and JB Poline of Nipy fame will be working
>part-time on the development of notebooks for applied statistics in
>collaboration with Jonathan Taylor from Stanford (these materials will
>be used by Jonathan in the teaching of his applied stats course, the
>STAT 191 course - http://www.stanford.edu/class/stats191).  While
>Brian is at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,  the rest of our team will be
>located at Berkeley (with frequent visits to Stanford for the
>statistics work with Jonathan).
>
>This will also give us resources to support two annual all-hands
>development sprints at Berkeley where I hope all our core developers
>will be able to attend, as well as funding for cloud resources so that
>we can provide paid support for our CI hosting and nbviewer beyond
>what the free plans allow (and further services that may arise over
>time).
>
>We'd like to particularly thank Josh Greenberg, our program director
>at the Sloan foundation, for the phenomenal guidance and support he
>provided during the grant proposal preparation and detailed review
>process.
>
>Needless to say, we are extremely excited about these news.  We'll
>have more announcements to make over the next few weeks, but now I
>need to get a lot of administrative wheels in motion quickly, as the
>funding officially starts Jan 1, 2013!
>
>All the best,

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16

Re: Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

klo uo
Hurray!
I'm very happy for you guys and injection that this great project deservedly got.
Excited to see what's coming next
 :)

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Chao YUE <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>at the Sloan foundation, for the phenomenal guidance and support he
>provided during the grant proposal preparation and detailed review
>process.
>
>Needless to say, we are extremely excited about these news.  We'll
>have more announcements to make over the next few weeks, but now I
>need to get a lot of administrative wheels in motion quickly, as the
>funding officially starts Jan 1, 2013!
>
>All the best,

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16

Re: Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Eleftherios Garyfallidis-2
This is really great news. Very happy for you guys. This is awesome for the community too. GGT!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM, klo uo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>at the Sloan foundation, for the phenomenal guidance and support he
>provided during the grant proposal preparation and detailed review
>process.
>
>Needless to say, we are extremely excited about these news.  We'll
>have more announcements to make over the next few weeks, but now I
>need to get a lot of administrative wheels in motion quickly, as the
>funding officially starts Jan 1, 2013!
>
>All the best,

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16

Re: Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Tom Brander-3
Spectacular news, big congratulations to all, well deserved!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Fernando Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tom Brander
http://tombrander.com -Real Estate
http://oswco.com -Open Software
3763 West Jackson Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35213
Phone 205-267-1089
@dartdog

Re: [IPython-dev] Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Gökhan SEVER-2
Congratulations for the new funding IPython team.

You are very determined putting IPython at the heart of computational scientists' workflow.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Fernando Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gökhan