Quantcast

[IPython-User] ipython installation/configuration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[IPython-User] ipython installation/configuration

Alan Bromborsky
I downloaded ipython from github -

     git clone https://github.com/ipython/ipython.git

then -

     cd ipython
     sudo python setup.py install
     sudo python setupegg.py install

My system is ubuntu 11.04.  After installation there are no .ipython or
.config/ipython directories.  Do I have to create them manually?
_______________________________________________
IPython-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/ipython-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ipython installation/configuration

Thomas Kluyver-2
Hi Alan,

On 30 January 2012 17:32, Alan Bromborsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
My system is ubuntu 11.04.  After installation there are no .ipython or
.config/ipython directories.  Do I have to create them manually?

One of them should be created when you run IPython (.config/ipython on Linux if you haven't used IPython before). If you want to customise the configuration, you'll need to run "ipython profile create".

Best wishes,
Thomas

_______________________________________________
IPython-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/ipython-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ipython installation/configuration

Ariel Rokem-2
In reply to this post by Alan Bromborsky
Hi Alan, 

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Alan Bromborsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
I downloaded ipython from github -

    git clone https://github.com/ipython/ipython.git

then -

    cd ipython
    sudo python setup.py install
    sudo python setupegg.py install

My system is ubuntu 11.04.  After installation there are no .ipython or
.config/ipython directories.  Do I have to create them manually?

Yes - I think so. As far as I could tell, running "ipython profile create foo" creates the .config/ipython directory, as well as the specific directory for that profile. Running "ipython profile create" will create the 'default' profile. 

HTH, 

Ariel  

_______________________________________________
IPython-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/ipython-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ipython installation/configuration

Fernando Perez
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Ariel Rokem <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as I could tell, running "ipython profile create foo" creates the
> .config/ipython directory

That directory also gets created on first run by each user.  It can't
be created at install time, because installation is done by root (via
sudo) where as these are per-user directories (I'm just clarifying for
the OP's benefit here).

Your instructions on the profiles were spot on, thanks for pitching in!!

Cheers,

f
_______________________________________________
IPython-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/ipython-user
Loading...