Quantcast

[IPython-User] nobanner error

William Beard
Hello,
I just upgraded to ipython 0.12 with pip, and it gives me this error
message when I try to start it (it worked before the update though):
[TerminalIPythonApp] Bad config encountered during initialization:
[TerminalIPythonApp] Unrecognized flag: '-nobanner'

I searched through ~/.ipython for any mention of '-nobanner,' but the
only mention I see is in ipythonrc:

# banner 0 -> same as ipython -nobanner
banner 1

so I don't see how this could apply to the error message. I had a sympy
rc file that set 'banner 0', but I commented that out.

I believe I installed it with pip (I think from homebrew for Mac OS).
Doing 'which' tells me that they're located at
/usr/local/share/python/ipython
/usr/local/share/python/pip

Any advice?

CB

Re: [IPython-User] nobanner error

Stefan
Hello William,

I think ipython 0.12 has a new config system that might clash with your old rc file:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/overview.html

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Re: nobanner error

William Beard
On Feb 17 2:20 AM, William Beard wrote:

> Hello,
> I just upgraded to ipython 0.12 with pip, and it gives me this error
> message when I try to start it (it worked before the update though):
> [TerminalIPythonApp] Bad config encountered during initialization:
> [TerminalIPythonApp] Unrecognized flag: '-nobanner'
>
> I searched through ~/.ipython for any mention of '-nobanner,' but the
> only mention I see is in ipythonrc:
>
> # banner 0 -> same as ipython -nobanner
> banner 1
>
> so I don't see how this could apply to the error message. I had a
> sympy rc file that set 'banner 0', but I commented that out.
>
> I believe I installed it with pip (I think from homebrew for Mac OS).
> Doing 'which' tells me that they're located at
> /usr/local/share/python/ipython
> /usr/local/share/python/pip
>
> Any advice?
>
> CB
Thanks for the advice. I found out that I actually had an alias in my
.bashrc that was screwing it up.

CB