[IPython-User] profiles and extensions directories

[IPython-User] profiles and extensions directories

Ian Stokes-Rees

I'm running ipython 1.0.dev. I'm trying to figure out how to automatically get my IPython extensions available in my ipython sessions. Putting it here works: ~/.ipython/extensions Putting it here doesn't: ~/.ipython/profile_default/extensions. I can also put the extensions anywhere that shows up in sys.path.  Should profile directories for extensions be supported?

Cheers,

Ian

Re: profiles and extensions directories

Thomas Kluyver-2
Extensions are stored in the same place for all profiles, but each profile has a separate config that says which extensions to load. At present, there's no per-profile extension directory.

My gut feeling is that having per-profile extension directories is unnecessary extra complexity, but if there was a compelling use case that requires it, I'm open to changing my mind.

Thanks,
Thomas

On 6/18/13 10:59 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
Extensions are stored in the same place for all profiles, but each profile has a separate config that says which extensions to load. At present, there's no per-profile extension directory.

My gut feeling is that having per-profile extension directories is unnecessary extra complexity, but if there was a compelling use case that requires it, I'm open to changing my mind.

Thanks, that totally makes sense.  Only scenario where I could see per-profile extensions would be if I had different versions I wanted to use under different circumstances.  That would probably be uncommon.

On 19 June 2013 11:29, Ian Stokes-Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, that totally makes sense.  Only scenario where I could see per-profile extensions would be if I had different versions I wanted to use under different circumstances.  That would probably be uncommon.

Yep. One way of doing that at present would be to install extensions as modules in virtualenvs - an extension can be placed anywhere where you can import it.

Thomas