[IPython-User] readline-like behavior w/ ipython 5 prompt toolkit?

[IPython-User] readline-like behavior w/ ipython 5 prompt toolkit?

pkmital
Hi,

I am very impressed with iPython 5!  I was hoping there was an option for tab completion which would have the old behavior w/ readline, which would show every single result in the history without a pop up/further interaction.  Is it no longer possible?

Thanks!
Parag

Re: readline-like behavior w/ ipython 5 prompt toolkit?

Matthias Bussonnier
The what's new[1] says:

IPython no longer uses readline configuration (~/.inputrc). We hope
that the functionality you want (e.g. vi input mode) will be available
by configuring IPython directly (see Terminal IPython options). If
something’s missing, please file an issue.

The terminal IPython option section Have the following:

TerminalInteractiveShell.display_completions :
‘column’|’multicolumn’|’readlinelike’

Default: 'multicolumn'

You can find it with the following as well.

IPython --help-all
--TerminalInteractiveShell.display_completions=<Enum>
    Default: 'multicolumn'
    Choices: ('column', 'multicolumn', 'readlinelike')

The help is missing though, we should likely improve that.

[1]: http://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/whatsnew/version5.html