[IPython-User] remote X DISPLAY

Vasco Tenner-2
Dear all,
more than 1 year ago (20130226) a discussion came across (on
ipython-user) how to run ipython notebook on a remote machine. The
solution than was to create a ssh connection, and run the notebook
inside "screen".

Now I want to use X forwarding show gtk matplotlib windows. This works
as long as I keep the original SSH connection open. However, when I
create a new ssh connection, the "DISPLAY" environment variable should
change. Is there I way I can tell the %matplotlib gtk magic to pass a
certain DISPLAY to gtk?

Kind regards,
Vasco