[IPython-User] start ipython notebook with a particular (not default) firefox profile

[IPython-User] start ipython notebook with a particular (not default) firefox profile

Mark Andrews-7
(Note: this is an exact copy of a unanswered question I asked on stackoverflow about 1 month ago).

When I launch ipython notebook, I want it to launch firefox but using a particular firefox profile, which is not my default firefox profile.

In my ipython profile, I have

c.NotebookApp.browser = u'/usr/bin/firefox'

and that makes sure that ipython notebook chooses firefox. However, it chooses the default firefox profile, or else the most recently used firefox profile.

From my linux terminal, I can launch my preferred ipython specific firefox profile (named ipython) like this

firefox -P --no-remote ipython

However, doing

c.NotebookApp.browser = u'/usr/bin/firefox -P --no-remote ipython'

does not work at all (ipython doesn't open firefox at all, and skips to the another browswer'), nor does starting ipython notebook like so

ipython notebook --browser 'firefox -P --no-remote ipython'

which leads to and OSError exception.

Does anyone know of a way to launch firefox with the preferred profile?

thanks

Mark Andrews

Re: start ipython notebook with a particular (not default) firefox profile

Thomas Kluyver-2
Hi Mark,

What about making a firefox-ipython.sh script, which launches Firefox with the arguments you want, and then setting browser to point to that?

By the way, we're gently deprecating the -user list and merging discussion into -dev, so in future you may wish to post there.

Thomas

On 16 October 2014 12:59, Mark Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
(Note: this is an exact copy of a unanswered question I asked on stackoverflow about 1 month ago).

When I launch ipython notebook, I want it to launch firefox but using a particular firefox profile, which is not my default firefox profile.

In my ipython profile, I have

c.NotebookApp.browser = u'/usr/bin/firefox'

and that makes sure that ipython notebook chooses firefox. However, it chooses the default firefox profile, or else the most recently used firefox profile.

From my linux terminal, I can launch my preferred ipython specific firefox profile (named ipython) like this

firefox -P --no-remote ipython

However, doing

c.NotebookApp.browser = u'/usr/bin/firefox -P --no-remote ipython'

does not work at all (ipython doesn't open firefox at all, and skips to the another browswer'), nor does starting ipython notebook like so

ipython notebook --browser 'firefox -P --no-remote ipython'

which leads to and OSError exception.

Does anyone know of a way to launch firefox with the preferred profile?

thanks

Mark Andrews

Re: start ipython notebook with a particular (not default) firefox profile

Mark Andrews-7
Thanks.
I'll do the shell-script thing.
I'll also switch to ipython-dev.
-m

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From my linux terminal, I can launch my preferred ipython specific firefox profile (named ipython) like this