[IPython-User] startup error

Paul Harrison

Hi,

I'm new to ipython and have it installed on a SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop v12 SP1 system with all the latest OS updates applied.

However, when I launch it, I get the output pasted here:
http://pastebin.com/SYVsKKi2

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Re: startup error

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 31 May 2016 at 23:19, Paul Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm new to ipython and have it installed on a SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop v12 SP1 system with all the latest OS updates applied.

However, when I launch it, I get the output pasted here:
http://pastebin.com/SYVsKKi2

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Is your home directory on an NFS share? We have seen this issue a couple of times, where it can't even create an sqlite database. It will be fixed (in that it will stop trying and use a fallback) in the next release. In the meantime, you can work around it with a config setting like:
c.HistoryAccessor.hist_file = '/path/to/local-scratch/ipython-history.sqlite'

Where the path should be on a non-NFS filesystem.

Here's the PR fixing it: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/9418

Thomas

Re: startup error

Paul Harrison
Yes, home areas are on an NFS share. Thank you - pointing that setting
to a local scratch disk works (and changing the
c.HistoryAccessor.enabled setting to False)

And apologies if my posting came through twice!

Paul

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 May 2016 at 23:19, Paul Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to ipython and have it installed on a SUSE Linux Enterprise
>> Desktop v12 SP1 system with all the latest OS updates applied.
>>
>> However, when I launch it, I get the output pasted here:
>> http://pastebin.com/SYVsKKi2
>>
>> Can anyone give me any pointers?
>

> Is your home directory on an NFS share? We have seen this issue a couple of
> times, where it can't even create an sqlite database. It will be fixed (in
> that it will stop trying and use a fallback) in the next release. In the
> meantime, you can work around it with a config setting like:
>
> c.HistoryAccessor.hist_file =
> '/path/to/local-scratch/ipython-history.sqlite'
>
> Where the path should be on a non-NFS filesystem.
>
> Here's the PR fixing it: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/9418
>
> Thomas

Re: startup error

Matthias Bussonnier
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Paul Harrison
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> And apologies if my posting came through twice!

No Problem, though we favor  [hidden email] (despite the name).
You'll likely get quicker and more answer there.