Quantcast

IPython on windows and non-ascii in username

IPython on windows and non-ascii in username

Ahlden
I try to get iPython and the notebook to work but I get this error message:
File "C:\Python27\lib\ntpath.py", line 301, in expanduser return userhome + path[i:]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 13: ordinal not in range(128)
You can print a more detailed traceback right now with "%tb", or use "%debug"
to interactively debug it.
Extra-detailed tracebacks for bug-reporting purposes can be enabled via:
    c.Application.verbose_crash=True.

I read this at: http://http://wiki.ipython.org/IPython_on_Windows:
Recent versions of IPython (as of at least 0.12.1) use %USERPROFILE% (typically C:\Users\ under Vista and 7, or C:\Documents and Settings\ under XP) and store your configuration in a %USERPROFILE%.ipython directory. Previous versions of IPython have required manually setting a %HOME% environment variable. If you have non-ascii characters in your username and you get a UnicodeError crash on startup, you may need to manually set %HOME% to a directory with an ASCII-only name anyway (a directory like C:\home may be good enough if you're the only user of your computer). This has not been tested on recent versions of IPython, however.
I have a user name with non-ascii characters. It looks like this is the solution but how do I fix it? I'm new to this and knows where to change the variables but I do not know what to write. I have created a folder C:\ipython that I would like to use and I run Windows 7 Home Edition. I use python 2.7 and IPYthon 0.13.1. Probably easy to fix if you know how...