Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail-2
I wonder how active is Grok advocacy around ? .. time to generate some hype ?

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Sebastian Ware
Until we have updated the website and got the new docs up and revised, hyping Grok would lead to a bad experience for new users. It would saturate the mailing list with questions. Better to have a more controlled "invitational style" growth that can be managed by the mailing list.

Besides that, I think with the framework having matured, it would be a great time to invite more users.

Mvh Sebastian

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Sebastian Ware <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Until we have updated the website and got the new docs up and revised, hyping Grok would lead to a bad experience for new users. It would saturate the mailing list with questions. Better to have a more controlled "invitational style" growth that can be managed by the mailing list.

Yep, agreed. Is there already a roadmap for this?

> Besides that, I think with the framework having matured, it would be a great time to invite more users.

yeah, thats what I think too ..

> Mvh Sebastian
>
> 9 nov 2011 kl. 07.33 skrev Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail:
>
>> I wonder how active is Grok advocacy around ? .. time to generate some hype ?
>>
>> --
>> Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail / KageSenshi
>> Inigo Consulting (FOSS/Plone Development, Training & Services)
>> http://www.inigo-tech.com
>> Fedora Malaysia Contributor & Ambassador
>> http://blog.kagesenshi.org
>> 92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Roberto Allende
2011/11/9 Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Sebastian Ware <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Until we have updated the website and got the new docs up and revised, hyping Grok would lead to a bad experience for new users. It would saturate the mailing list with questions. Better to have a more controlled "invitational style" growth that can be managed by the mailing list.
>
> Yep, agreed. Is there already a roadmap for this?
>

>> Besides that, I think with the framework having matured, it would be a great time to invite more users.
>
> yeah, thats what I think too ..

Hello

Are there any chance to contribute on finishing the new website ?.
Could we organize a (remotely) sprint to do it?

Kind Regards
Roberto Allende

--
http://robertoallede.com

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Sebastian Ware
Hi jw!

Hope all is well! We have some more volunteers to migrate the website :) The question is, if we want to complete the website migration to the new Sphinx-site. Who would need to be involved?

Maybe we could reopen your Doodle (which I never noticed in your original message!)?

 http://www.doodle.com/wqys4cvk9bs7e9yz

 - Roberto Allende is offering to help
 - Christian Klinger has offered to help (14 sept)
 - Sebastian (me) can help

Mvh Sebastian

9 nov 2011 kl. 14.07 skrev Roberto Allende:

> 2011/11/9 Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail <[hidden email]>:
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Sebastian Ware <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Until we have updated the website and got the new docs up and revised, hyping Grok would lead to a bad experience for new users.
>>
>> Yep, agreed. Is there already a roadmap for this?
>>

> Hello
>
> Are there any chance to contribute on finishing the new website ?.
> Could we organize a (remotely) sprint to do it?
>
> Kind Regards
> Roberto Allende

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Christian Klinger-2
Hi,

as i already said, i try to help where i can.
Sebastian do we have a actual todo-list?

Christian

> Hi jw!
>
> Hope all is well! We have some more volunteers to migrate the website :) The question is, if we want to complete the website migration to the new Sphinx-site. Who would need to be involved?
>
> Maybe we could reopen your Doodle (which I never noticed in your original message!)?
>
>   http://www.doodle.com/wqys4cvk9bs7e9yz
>
>   - Roberto Allende is offering to help
>   - Christian Klinger has offered to help (14 sept)
>   - Sebastian (me) can help
>
> Mvh Sebastian
>

> 9 nov 2011 kl. 14.07 skrev Roberto Allende:

>>> Yep, agreed. Is there already a roadmap for this?
>>>
>> Hello
>>
>> Are there any chance to contribute on finishing the new website ?.
>> Could we organize a (remotely) sprint to do it?
>>
>> Kind Regards
>> Roberto Allende

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Christian Klinger

as i already said, i try to help where i can.
Sebastian do we have a actual todo-list?

Christian

> Hi jw!
>
> Hope all is well! We have some more volunteers to migrate the website :) The question is, if we want to complete the website migration to the new Sphinx-site. Who would need to be involved?
>
> Maybe we could reopen your Doodle (which I never noticed in your original message!)?
>
>   http://www.doodle.com/wqys4cvk9bs7e9yz
>
>   - Roberto Allende is offering to help
>   - Christian Klinger has offered to help (14 sept)
>   - Sebastian (me) can help
>
> Mvh Sebastian
>

> 9 nov 2011 kl. 14.07 skrev Roberto Allende:

>>> Yep, agreed. Is there already a roadmap for this?
>>>

>> Hello
>>
>> Are there any chance to contribute on finishing the new website ?.
>> Could we organize a (remotely) sprint to do it?
>>
>> Kind Regards
>> Roberto Allende

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Roberto Allende
Hello

What about Saturday ?. It would be great if it is possible to get
access to source code and the todolist. At least for the members of
such list in case i'm not the only one who hasn't already :)

Kind Regards
Roberto Allende

--
http://robertoallende.com

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Sebastian Ware
I am available these times

  http://www.doodle.com/px4uiggz3gwaweit

but there is no TODO-list for launching the site. This is probably what we need to compile at this meeting. A brief outline was however provided by JW in a mail:

  19 september 2011 09.45.34 CEST
  Re: [Grok-dev] Any plans to complete the migration of the Plone site to the Sphinx site?

If you search the grok-dev archives for "sphinx" you will get all the discussions on the topic.

We need someone who has access to the server and is comfortable with setting up the automatic pulling and building of the Sphinx site on the server (this has already been done for the official docs) and then just link the community docs and official docs. Perhaps adding a custom frontpage.

You can grab the community docs here:

  https://bitbucket.org/jhsware/grok-doc

Official Grok-stuff is found here:

  http://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grok/

Mvh Sebastian

http://www.urbantalk.se

10 nov 2011 kl. 03.13 skrev Roberto Allende:

> Hello
>
> What about Saturday ?. It would be great if it is possible to get
> access to source code and the todolist. At least for the members of
> such list in case i'm not the only one who hasn't already :)
>
> Kind Regards
> Roberto Allende
>
> --
> http://robertoallende.com

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Jan-Jaap Driessen
On 10 November 2011 10:39, Sebastian Ware <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am available these times
>
>  http://www.doodle.com/px4uiggz3gwaweit
>
> but there is no TODO-list for launching the site. This is probably what we need to compile at this meeting. A brief outline was however provided by JW in a mail:
>
>  19 september 2011 09.45.34 CEST
>  Re: [Grok-dev] Any plans to complete the migration of the Plone site to the Sphinx site?
>
> If you search the grok-dev archives for "sphinx" you will get all the discussions on the topic.
>
> We need someone who has access to the server and is comfortable with setting up the automatic pulling and building of the Sphinx site on the server (this has already been done for the official docs) and then just link the community docs and official docs. Perhaps adding a custom frontpage.

Why not setup the docs on readthedocs.org?

I did this for fanstatic.org, worked out pretty well.

> You can grab the community docs here:
>
>  https://bitbucket.org/jhsware/grok-doc
>
> Official Grok-stuff is found here:
>
>  http://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grok/
>

> Mvh Sebastian

Jan-Jaap Driessen

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail-2
yeah .. if its just a sphinx site, why not readthedocs.org ? ..

however, while i havent seen the sphinx site yet,  pointing users
directly to a doc when they visit grok.zope.org is not exactly
friendly imho ..

10 nov 2011 kl. 15.34 skrev Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail:

> yeah .. if its just a sphinx site, why not readthedocs.org ? ..
>
> however, while i havent seen the sphinx site yet,  pointing users
> directly to a doc when they visit grok.zope.org is not exactly
> friendly imho ..

I agree, but I fell that it would be good enough for community docs for the time being. The Official Grok Documentation frontpage is nice enough to serve as frontpage as is and it is already set up properly.

Jan-Jaap: How much work was it to set up the Fanstatic docs on ReadTheDocs?

Mvh Sebastian

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman-3
On 10/11/2011 10:39 , Sebastian Ware wrote:
> I am available these times
>
>    http://www.doodle.com/px4uiggz3gwaweit

Thanks for reviving this effort! I filled in my times in this new Doodle
Sebastian created. Basically, I'm available anytime next Wednesday to
discuss this on #grok.

Hope to see you then!
regards, jw

On 10/11/2011 16:33 , Sebastian Ware wrote:

> 10 nov 2011 kl. 15.34 skrev Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail:
>
>> yeah .. if its just a sphinx site, why not readthedocs.org ? ..
>>
>> however, while i havent seen the sphinx site yet,  pointing users
>> directly to a doc when they visit grok.zope.org is not exactly
>> friendly imho ..
>
> I agree, but I fell that it would be good enough for community docs for the time being. The Official Grok Documentation frontpage is nice enough to serve as frontpage as is and it is already set up properly.
>
> Jan-Jaap: How much work was it to set up the Fanstatic docs on ReadTheDocs?

I'd agree that using Sphinx should principally be enough to document
Grok and it features. Big big advantage is it means hardly any
server-setup. The current grok.zope.org server is getting quite old and
rusty actually.

Another big big advantage is it would be easier to integrate updating
the website with the release procedure. Something I tried to a little
bit in the context of the groktoolkit package. Releasing grok is not
particularly hard or anything, but it involves quite some manual steps
that are tedious.

Anyway, thanks for picking up this ball!

regards, jw

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Christian Klinger

so i guess we will discuss things tomorrow...
Hope to see you online.

Christian

> On 10/11/2011 10:39 , Sebastian Ware wrote:
>> I am available these times
>>
>>     http://www.doodle.com/px4uiggz3gwaweit
>
> Thanks for reviving this effort! I filled in my times in this new Doodle
> Sebastian created. Basically, I'm available anytime next Wednesday to
> discuss this on #grok.
>
> Hope to see you then!
> regards, jw

Re: Increasing Grok/Zope adoption

Sebastian Ware
Maybe I should have confirmed that :)

I am guessing that the best place to discuss is on the #grok irc channel. I hope everybody knows how to get there.

The goal is to identify what needs to be done to complete the website migration and hopefully assign all of these issues.

Mvh Sebastian